Platforms

Give us your feedback about the Level Editor! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Platforms

Postby ustopable » 7 November 2019, 17:39

Wouldn't it be great if we have those solid yet passable blocks similar to Mario and Terraria? They are thin layers of wall that you can stand on and fire through it without the need of penetration values. You can pass through it just by jumping and stand on the platform upon landing on it. And by holding X you can pass through the platform to get down. These would add more variety in platforming
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Re: Platforms

Postby phsc » 7 November 2019, 20:57

very good idea, i wanted something like that but found no method of doing it that was natural (at least considering the features avaliable at the time i made it) in one of my maps (shipyard) so i ended up using 0px thick walls but these are very limited because of the jump aspect you mentioned, maybe add the idea as a property of doors or walls or whatever.
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby jeje52 » 8 November 2019, 20:59

I was able to make a platform like in Terraria using a bit of variables and movables. One problem is that they can't be shot through.

Map: jeje52-platform
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby ustopable » 9 November 2019, 11:19

I checked your map. While it's a nice trigger and timer work, tracking multiple players and A.I would be hard.

It would be nice for single player maps.

Send it to the Tutorial section to rack up some upvotes
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Build » 9 November 2019, 11:31

if i remember correctly
darkstar 1 has made an platform open sourced map
But he unpublished it or might have deleted it
But good thing he saved it in his dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vawmt0m1vfso ... b2map?dl=0
Build
Falkok [250]

Postby jeje52 » 9 November 2019, 13:01

ustopable wrote:I checked your map. While it's a nice trigger and timer work, tracking multiple players and A.I would be hard.

It would be nice for single player maps.

It would probably be possible to make it work in multiplayer by using the current player's Y coordinate and movement instead of a specific player's. This way everyone would have a different platform state depending on where they are.
Standing under a platform that other players are standing on would show the players slightly falling, as the platform is passable for you, but this is just a minor inconvenience.

Making it work with AI characters, however, would be nearly impossible.

I will try using this in multiplayer soon to see how it goes.
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby phsc » 9 November 2019, 19:32

Casual mention that by making the door height 0px, so most projectiles (all but I believe the slot 1 SMGs and projectiles which react to surface contact) but you can also divide a single platform in multiple parts, making so such projectiles will be able to go directly to the player, just if not from literally bellow or a similar position if the platform is bigger.
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Return to Level Editor