Stop making skybases!

Posts for SD2D Ideas, Discussion and Bugs!

Play it here https://www.gevanni.com:3000/

Stop making skybases!

Postby Da Shaaark » 10 April 2021, 12:50

I just joined the game and all the dirt is gone. It must stop.

Building skybases always leads to half of the dirt being despawned from the map and other half destroyed by players who want to upgrade and do other stuff.

Yes, it is the most comfortable zone to have a base in, I understand, but don't be d*cks, let other people play the game it was originally intended to - by digging dirt, upgrading and building on the surface. Stop removing dirt for your own convenience and feeling of safety. Think about the other players who don't want your skybase to destroy the map, think about greater good.

Instead of building in the sky, go deep under the ground, protect the dirt around it to not let anyone come too close to you. Don't let anyone destroy the dirt above, under and on sides of your base. If some dirt is destroyed place dirt blocks with tool as a replacement. Protect the base by building extra stuff on the surface (like gates, spikes). Place turrets and traps if needed. Use cubes to create neutral zones, use octopuses as a weapon. Think creative. It would be just as safe as having a skybase, but it won't create troubles for everyone else on the map.

You can read about safe digging and fighting invisible players in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=25475

Remember: raiders are also people. You can talk to them and understand what do they want to make peace. It would be a better strategy if you want all raids to stop. I myself talked to at least 3 raiders and all of them had good reasons to hate you and your skybases. Just talk. I'm not saying it will 100% work but you can try because you have nothing to lose.

Also @Commander & @Eric Gurt, if you cannot do your job by resetting the map when all dirt is gone and game became unplayable, then give administartor powers to someone else. To someone who will do the job you aren't doing. Game should always have dirt for new players who just joined. Imagine a Minecraft server where new player spawns in the world but there is nothing but bedrock all around - that's what you do, but in SD2D.
PB2 is dead, SD2D is stillborn, PB3 is doomed

Shark is gone
Da Shaaark
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Stop making skybases!

Postby nightmar » 10 April 2021, 13:55

Skybases are the safest among all bases and the ones that live the most. Naturally people will prefer to build such bases over the weak ground bases that get raided all the time. Sure skybases also get raided a lot but ground bases even more so.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Da Shaaark » 10 April 2021, 14:20

nightmar wrote:Skybases are the safest among all bases and the ones that live the most. Naturally people will prefer to build such bases over the weak ground bases that get raided all the time. Sure skybases also get raided a lot but ground bases even more so.

Understandable. I wrote about it in OP. The problem is that by making skybases you break gaming experience for anyone outside of skybase because most of the ground is getting despawned and the small remaining part of it destroyed. Can you stop thinking about yourselves only and start thinking about other players too?

Shark is gone
Da Shaaark
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby that161isgoody » 10 April 2021, 17:24

Da Shaaark wrote:I just joined the game and all the dirt is gone. It must stop.

Building skybases always leads to half of the dirt being despawned from the map and other half destroyed by players who want to upgrade and do other stuff.

Yes, it is the most comfortable zone to have a base in, I understand, but don't be d*cks, let other people play the game it was originally intended to - by digging dirt, upgrading and building on the surface. Stop removing dirt for your own convenience and feeling of safety. Think about the other players who don't want your skybase to destroy the map, think about greater good.

Instead of building in the sky, go deep under the ground, protect the dirt around it to not let anyone come too close to you. Don't let anyone destroy the dirt above, under and on sides of your base. If some dirt is destroyed place dirt blocks with tool as a replacement. Protect the base by building extra stuff on the surface (like gates, spikes). Place turrets and traps if needed. Use cubes to create neutral zones, use octopuses as a weapon. Think creative. It would be just as safe as having a skybase, but it won't create troubles for everyone else on the map.

You can read about safe digging and fighting invisible players in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=25475

Remember: raiders are also people. You can talk to them and understand what do they want to make peace. It would be a better strategy if you want all raids to stop. I myself talked to at least 3 raiders and all of them had good reasons to hate you and your skybases. Just talk. I'm not saying it will 100% work but you can try because you have nothing to lose.

Also @Commander & @Eric Gurt, if you cannot do your job by resetting the map when all dirt is gone and game became unplayable, then give administartor powers to someone else. To someone who will do the job you aren't doing. Game should always have dirt for new players who just joined. Imagine a Minecraft server where new player spawns in the world but there is nothing but bedrock all around - that's what you do, but in SD2D.

Dirt doesn't despawn as a result of skybases. (Since the game border doesn't go up). The main idea of skybases is that it's safe and secure. Hell, you'd need to upgrade in order to get up by yourself.
"Man will be man. But Monke is supreme"- Goody, 2018
that161isgoody
Recruit

Postby Da Shaaark » 10 April 2021, 18:05

that161isgoody wrote:Dirt doesn't despawn as a result of skybases. (Since the game border doesn't go up). The main idea of skybases is that it's safe and secure. Hell, you'd need to upgrade in order to get up by yourself.

It's safe and secure for you, but it creates problems for everyone else since the map cannot go down (because of top CCs) and give newcomers dirt. Stop thinking only about yourselves, god damn it

Shark is gone
Da Shaaark
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby nightmar » 10 April 2021, 19:08

So you're tlling us to make vulnerable bases so that the ground can live a little longer? Because from the point where Command Centers are established the ground is bound to vanish sooner or later (regardless of how deep into the ground a base can be). In this area there was A LOT of ground yesterday, but people dug it all up. The only thing that'll change if bases come down is that it will take a little longer for that to happen (plus no base will remain standing by the end of the day).
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Da Shaaark » 10 April 2021, 21:08

nightmar wrote:So you're tlling us to make vulnerable bases so that the ground can live a little longer? Because from the point where Command Centers are established the ground is bound to vanish sooner or later (regardless of how deep into the ground a base can be). In this area there was A LOT of ground yesterday, but people dug it all up. The only thing that'll change if bases come down is that it will take a little longer for that to happen (plus no base will remain standing by the end of the day).

I think map should be automatically reset (with new game update) by the end of the day in this case. If bases be underground bases there should be enough dirt for everyone by the time day ends

Shark is gone
Da Shaaark
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Booraz » 13 April 2021, 16:47

I think the game would be better off with having at least one "rift" portal on the map which would lead your character to "The Other Side"
"The other side" is sort of just a different SD map, but you cannot place command centres on it nor do humanoid entities spawn (flying mechs, falkoks)
If no players would be left on "the other side" the map for "The Other side" would reset.
This way we could still have the current map system while the rift portal would be used to access a fresh start/resources in case the current world would be compromised.

Booraz
Recruit

Postby PeacyQuack » 20 April 2021, 13:57

As in the name its a "sky" base how are they responsible for mining the whole ground thats just trolls like u shark lmao what a fool

PeacyQuack
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Gashadokuro » 8 May 2021, 15:48

One month later, 3000 still has 0 dirt despite Commander spamming reset because raiders or whatever not that long ago.

Now they're trying to destroy 3001 too.
Gashadokuro
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby that161isgoody » 10 May 2021, 00:58

Gashadokuro wrote:One month later, 3000 still has 0 dirt despite Commander spamming reset because raiders or whatever not that long ago.

Now they're trying to destroy 3001 too.

That's something we'll deal with in time, Gash. That's something Comm and SC will have to worry about in due time. Till then, complain a little more. No seriously, it helps the mind once you vent your problems.
"Man will be man. But Monke is supreme"- Goody, 2018
that161isgoody
Recruit

Postby broforce1 » 10 May 2021, 08:04

i Think that Sky bases are overall greater so why not.
Last edited by broforce1 on 19 August 2021, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
[[hmmmmhmAYYUHhhhwassauupp] [/broo] [/ur a [gayr]
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby Booraz » 10 May 2021, 10:34

Eric released a hotfix for earthquakes today.
The 3000 port server seems to regenerate more dirt and it regenerates properly now. Looks like the game will actually not run out of dirt that commonly.

Booraz
Recruit

Return to Star Defenders