PSI Bayonet

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

PSI Bayonet

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 18 November 2020, 18:32

I have come to propose a new idea for the next PB game.

In our modern world, long swords have been replaced centuries ago by more compact knives that are much easier to store and much easier to handle in close combat. Needless to say, firearms are currently the weapon of choice at longer ranges.

However, in PB2 we see the return of the extended blade in the form of PSI Blades. Though we don't know too much about these weapons, it is apparent that they are easily stored inside a battlesuit, easily manufactured and mass produced at an interstellar level, and extremely effective in combat, being able to even deflect live projectiles.

Which brings us to another recently aged weapon: the bayonet. While it is currently used for ceremonial purposes only, the bayonet was once a very effective and innovative weapon. If, during the wars of the future portrayed by Plazma Burst, we are able to bring back the broadsword of the middle ages, then we can certainly recreate the bayonet.

Although weapon switching is instantaneous in PB2, in PB 2.5/3, there will be a delay when swapping guns. This means that it will take time to switch from a firearm to PSI Blades, and we all know that a few seconds can mean the difference between life or death in hand to hand combat. With the PSI bayonet, however, the soldier can instantly activate an embedded PSI blade in their firearm, effectively converting it into a spear. The PSI bayonet will retain the perks of the original bayonet and improve upon its weaknesses by taking the innovations of the PSI blades in battlesuits, that being its ease to store and handle, and applying it to firearms.

TLDR: PSI Blades except for guns.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Re: PSI Bayonet

Postby nightmar » 18 November 2020, 21:59

In any case I believe that psi blades will always deal more damage than the bayonet so it's best to switch to them rather than use that. The only use I can think of for this is if the enemy your want to stab is low on hp and there is another one behind him. Even then it is a too specific occassion to have 1 attachment for.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar

Postby Gashadokuro » 18 November 2020, 22:10

I'd love to see that, along functional attachments. Which apparently can already be done via triggers.

Gashadokuro
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby xElijah » 18 November 2020, 22:32

I would prefer to use stock and kicks. It would be more fun. This made me think - PB3 needs some sort of actual melee combat system where for example you need energy to do and block attacks and not just infinitely spamclick with swords. Oh and I really wish for a PSI-knife with different attack types (cutting and stabbing) and maybe finishing off animations with it. Maybe you can attack an enemy with a knife in one hand and punch with another?
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 19 November 2020, 01:01

nightmar wrote:In any case I believe that psi blades will always deal more damage than the bayonet so it's best to switch to them rather than use that. The only use I can think of for this is if the enemy your want to stab is low on hp and there is another one behind him. Even then it is a too specific occassion to have 1 attachment for.

The bayonet is handy when you don't have time to switch to PSI blades. In PB 2.5/3 it will take time to switch between weapons, meaning that by the time you holster your gun and swap to your blades, the enemy would have already slashed you a few times. We all know the difference that a few slashes can make. With the bayonet, you can instantly engage in melee combat if you're suddenly swarmed by enemies at close range, buying you valuable time.

xElijah wrote:I would prefer to use stock and kicks. It would be more fun. This made me think - PB3 needs some sort of actual melee combat system where for example you need energy to do and block attacks and not just infinitely spamclick with swords. Oh and I really wish for a PSI-knife with different attack types (cutting and stabbing) and maybe finishing off animations with it. Maybe you can attack an enemy with a knife in one hand and punch with another?

If the bayonet is not equipped (as it would take up space on the weapon for other attachments), then the character will resort to bashing. But if the bayonet is equipped, then it should obviously be used. Also, the battlesuits of PB seem to be resilient to blunt trauma, but PSI blades go right through them, so the bayonet should be more effective than bashing. I mean, what do you think will be more effective against futuristic armor: the butt of a gun, or an energy sword?
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby xElijah » 19 November 2020, 10:16

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:If the bayonet is not equipped (as it would take up space on the weapon for other attachments), then the character will resort to bashing. But if the bayonet is equipped, then it should obviously be used. Also, the battlesuits of PB seem to be resilient to blunt trauma, but PSI blades go right through them, so the bayonet should be more effective than bashing. I mean, what do you think will be more effective against futuristic armor: the butt of a gun, or an energy sword?

Like I said earlier using gun stock and kicks would be more fun than just poking your enemy with a bayonet. This is the main reason - I want the game to be as fun as possible. Besides, adding bayonet feature would make PSI swords usage less important for players. It would be just easier to do 2 pokes with PSI bayonet than switching to swords to do the hit and back to firearm. I think sword fighting is an important part of PB universe and I don't want it to lose its value. I think setting a high knockback for gun stock and kicks which will allow player to push the enemy back and get time to equip swords would be a better idea if you want swords in PB3 to be as important as they were in PB2. Also I wouldn't apply too much logic to how armor and other game mechanics would work in reality. I don't think Eric really aimed for realism when he was making his games. In fact he already added sword-less punches and kicks to PB3. Check his twitter. And they do damage. If you want some logic, ok, I've got two possible explanations: either the armor gives its owner super strength so his punches can damage other players despite of their protection or they are just superhumans? How else would you explain that players can jump to the height above their head, run and shoot heavy weapons like miniguns, rocket launchers and perhaps BNG? In PB3 you can also grab and carry bodies no problem while in reality it's very difficult.
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Return to Feedback and Insights