Layers for Pb3 advance level editor

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Layers for Pb3 advance level editor

Postby alj99 » 22 June 2021, 10:18

Idk if this is particularly a great idea but i do think i came across a potential uses of it.
This essentially eliminates the "put in front" since the layers is the placement of different objects whether they are in the front or in the back.

The general functionality will be similar to the drawing apps you've had you create a new layer, then assign objects to a specific layer then move it around if the layer is above another layer and rename it if you want to.
You can also select which layer and all new objects that you add will be put into that layer. (Like most drawing apps do.)

Additionally, you can also set the layer "transparent if player is behind" so you can see through backgrounds or decors when you are behind it.

This applies for virtually everything (except push, regions, and objects that aren't even rendered in the map)
As such, it naturally comes with new trigger commands to cater for it.

- Put character 'A' to layer 'B'
- Put initiator to Layer 'A'
- Put Vehicle 'A' to Layer 'B'
- Put Gun 'A' to Layer 'B'
- Put decor 'A' to Layer 'B'
- Put barrel 'A' to Layer 'B'
- Put Any and all entities at Region 'A' to Layer 'B'
- Allow transparency of Layer 'A' if a player is behind it with Parameter 'B'
- Put Layer 'A' behind Layer 'B'
- Set variable 'A' to layer of actor/player/gun/decor 'B'

(Of course, all of the layer parameters should have a variable support)

Generally, the layout of different existing objects will pretty much stay the same if they are on the same layer. (backgrounds being behind players etc.)

For guns (and decors that are attached to guns) they will automatically switch layers if a player is holding it in a different layer. Same applies with vehicles.

It's probably unnecessarily complicated to consider preventing interaction between a layer and a different one as you can sort of just make a different room at that point. (So regions, water, guns, vehicles, barrels and push will still interact with different layers regardless.)
The layers if you ask me is purely for looks only.
Hello.
alj99
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: Layers for Pb3 advance level editor

Postby Mean Me » 26 June 2021, 00:22

We could harness the full ability of this command if it was directly customizable from the object. Image layering does make problems for map developers sometimes, so I think this is a great idea!
Spoiler: Show More
I have nothing to say. Goodbye.
Mean Me
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby alj99 » 3 July 2021, 13:42

I have more ideas relating to this.

Trigger command - Adjust (or move) Layer 'A' by X/Y direction with value/variable 'B'. (Only works with decors, and backgrounds)

Merge layer.
Put a background/decor on front. (It doesn't move the object to a different layer)
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 3 July 2021, 13:46

Mean Me wrote:We could harness the full ability of this command if it was directly customizable from the object. Image layering does make problems for map developers sometimes, so I think this is a great idea!

Ngl decor overlay is somewhat janky or somehow change over the course of the updates, at least for me. The first decor added is apparently in front of the other decors which is pretty annoying having to copy paste the first decor and delete the previous one so it's actually behind.
Also decor set to front is behind background set to front. Which was the other way around i think.

So yeah a coherent layering for map makers is gonna make a lot of stuff easier.
Hello.
alj99

Postby strato026 » 17 July 2021, 22:46

Maybe there can be a layering system just like Photoshop. The new entity list from Eric's twitter post looks promising. He can use that entity list as rendering priority maybe even start priority. Or He can just create a new layer panel for decors etc.
strato026
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby alj99 » 2 January 2023, 11:17

strato026 wrote:Maybe there can be a layering system just like Photoshop. The new entity list from Eric's twitter post looks promising. He can use that entity list as rendering priority maybe even start priority. Or He can just create a new layer panel for decors etc.

Yeah that's the sort of idea I'm thinking of the list of objects menu bar is still one massive list tho.
Now that I think about it, I overstated this and made it overcomplicated.
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 2 January 2023, 12:35

This is a rehash on how layers could work since I think I made the original idea somewhat overcomplicated.

if you for some reason don't get the idea what it is. It's just like drawing or photoediting apps like photoshop. You can put certain objects at certain layers and each layers dictate if they're in the foreground, background, etc.

I wanted the layers to be flexible as much as humanly possible but I think it's just getting too complicated.
I guess make it simple for now (with future updates improving it to include other things) like so:

Only decors, backgrounds, and maybe lamps as well get to use the layers feature (for now at least). With everything else working the same (on default layer).

I guess you can think how the rest goes.
Make a new Layer.
Select a layer (other than default)
- All bgs, decors, and lamps create will be on that layer.
- You can only select objects on that layer.
- Selecting a layer doesn't make others transparent on LE.

Basic Features:
Hide layers.
Multi-selecting layers. (This way, you can interact with objects on selected layers.)
Move the order of layers around (move around in the foreground, middleground, background.
- Layers on foreground will be on top and inversely the ones on bottom are on the background.
Put object into a different Layer on LE.

Intermediate Features:
Layer Visibility. Affects in game visibility of anything in it on top of the transparency or visibility of any backgrounds, decors, etc.
Layer Colour Correction.
Merge Layers. (In respect with Layer Visibility in the form of changing the visibility value of all decors, backgrounds, etc.

Advanced Features:
Automatic Layer displacement. For parallax effect. With the intensity being adjustable.
Hello.
alj99

Return to Feedback and Insights