About approved maps...

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

About approved maps...

Postby Prox_y » 29 November 2020, 06:05

Ok, so I been thinking of this idea... Which may improve the game more...

So we all know that approved maps can not be played in custom map matches as they are considered approved and will show up in ranked/unranked matches no matter what...

But what if players just want to play an approved map but not on ranked/unranked matches because they didn't want for the kills and deaths to count and only to play the map for fun?

Perhaps we could gameplay modifications feature even more and perhaps allow players to modify what gameplay they want... And if that's the case then perhaps it'll be better as it'll allow to have players make their own gameplay changes for the map they want to play in custom maps matches where the kills and deaths won't count and can be played in any way the players want.... In a custom map match only... When they want...

My idea is that perhaps in gameplay modifications you put this pass code.

Custom - Makes the approved map be in custom map match instead of ranked/unranked and won't allow accounts to have their kills/deaths count nor SP... Just like any other custom map but with Level Developers have the ability to add their own pass codes whenever the following approved map is in custom map mode which would then allow for those pass codes to work only if the following map is in custom map mode only!

Here's the idea... Basically...

Ok nevermind that image is cut short...

Anyway what I was saying was... Uh... In a similar way as showed in the image just like the above one except it's custom as passcode not unranked...

Ok thanks and good luck! ^^

Prox_y
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: About approved maps...

Postby DestroyerV2 » 29 November 2020, 08:22

i haven't heard a person who wants to play a approved map in custom unless its stryde-sniper and if you want to play stryde sniper in custom, just play stryfe sniper or something, approved maps are meant to be played in approved or ranked and not custom and i doubt anyone would wanna play lets say, kubakuba-one in custom would they?

DestroyerV2
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby mrblake213 » 29 November 2020, 12:36

This would be a good idea for tournament or 'clan-war' purposes.
Imagine if you would need to practice with certain people on a specific map without changing your stats. This could be one of those ways.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Stryde » 29 November 2020, 14:50

So I'll take this topic as a continuation of this topic; viewtopic.php?f=152&t=25010

But the past month or so, I've been reviewing and critiquing the approval system and ranked gameplay. Long story short, this idea is on the list of ones to be suggested for implementation to improve the game, and it is also supported by other players and members of the approval team:

The rationale:
- (see mrblake213's post)
- Expanding upon this, it will allow players who aren't familiar with ranked maps to get familiar with them first before playing them in a competitive environment
- It may be a stretch to think the substantial amount of alts/players using guests to play anonymously will be reduced if approved maps are able to be played as custom maps beforehand

I think the implementation of it shouldn't necessarily be a gameplay modification unless it has to be, because I don't think many people know about gameplay modifications or use that field in the first place. Ideally, that's the easiest solution (probably for community and/or for Eric), but perhaps having a button alongside the ranked options to host ranked maps as "custom" may be better

Ranked, Yes: hosts maps that have approval status for ranked mode (Kills, Deaths, SP affected)
Ranked, No: hosts maps that have approval status for unranked mode (Kills, Deaths affected, SP not affected)
Ranked, Custom: hosts maps that have approval status but in custom mode (No stats affected)

This is where it gets weird, because ranked (custom) shouldn't exist - this gives the inclination that custom maps can be played as ranked, and this isn't the case. Ranked (no) is just unranked mode. Maybe this should be re-worked in general so instead of:
Ranked, Yes
Ranked, No
Ranked, custom

It becomes:
Ranked
Unranked
Custom

Note I also grouped them by "game type". Game type previously grouped gamemodes, such as TDM, DM, COOP. So I relabeled the gamemodes accordingly. Ignore the differences in font:

===============

DestroyerV2 wrote:i haven't heard a person who wants to play a approved map in custom unless its stryde-sniper and if you want to play stryde sniper in custom, just play stryfe sniper or something, approved maps are meant to be played in approved or ranked and not custom and i doubt anyone would wanna play lets say, kubakuba-one in custom would they?

This is entirely not the point. "Players aren't asking, its totally unneeded". No, get ahead of the player fanbase.

In other FPS shooter games, you can play maps without having stats affected on them - this is typically reserved as an unranked or casual gamemode. PB2 approval system is the only game that I know where once a map is approved or "officialized", you can't play that map again without having stats affected until it loses unapproval. You can play as a guest or under alt accounts, but the alt account problem is an entirely different issue. Letting approved maps have a "casual" mode, ie custom mode, will no longer set community-driven limitations on combat maps in custom mode compared to the community-driven custom base maps (in early PB2 days like 2011/2015, custom combat maps were frequently played)

Stryde

Postby Otherworldly » 30 November 2020, 04:12

some of the more played maps have clones and i think playing the clones would be the same thing( at least in the case of stryde sniper) but i haven't seen anyone make clones of other approved maps though

Otherworldly

Postby Prox_y » 30 November 2020, 05:59

That's basically the problem is that making clones of approved maps just to play them in custom map mode is just... I mean it requires actual remakes of the map or simply trying to find open-source ones just to copy them and then have that as a custom version...

But I heard that due to the new rules being applied it means that in code of conduct it is illegal to get copies of approved maps that do not have open-source and simply remaking these maps will result in trouble...

Prox_y
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Stryde » 30 November 2020, 06:08

Prox_y wrote:That's basically the problem is that making clones of approved maps just to play them in custom map mode is just... I mean it requires actual remakes of the map or simply trying to find open-source ones just to copy them and then have that as a custom version...

It's a lot of effort for someone to go through copying an approved map just to play it in a custom mode, not to mention, if a mode that doesn't affect any type of stats was supplemented, this probably wouldn't happen in the first place.

Stryde

Postby Prox_y » 30 November 2020, 06:39

Stryde wrote:
Prox_y wrote:That's basically the problem is that making clones of approved maps just to play them in custom map mode is just... I mean it requires actual remakes of the map or simply trying to find open-source ones just to copy them and then have that as a custom version...

It's a lot of effort for someone to go through copying an approved map just to play it in a custom mode, not to mention, if a mode that doesn't affect any type of stats was supplemented, this probably wouldn't happen in the first place.

I guess it would be very true... Since it's not worth having someone make a remake of someone and also putting a lot of effort...

Also... I'm pretty sure anyone experienced enough with level editor would be able to easily remake stryde-sniper because it doesn't have a lot of details and such and is very simple... Which would mean that they won't have to put much effort except playing the map and visualizing it and or seeing the map preview then copying it from there... In new approved maps it would require way more effort because a map maker would have to not only remake walls and lights and all of that but they will have to also remake the decorations as well as other things which would become very painful indeedly... And quite tedious... So in which case newer approved maps based on their design if they were built with a lot of details it would mean that it would require so much more effort to remake them after visualizing it and copying it... And even then it won't quite look the same... Unless copied directly from a map source...

Prox_y
Cyber Grub [25]

Return to Website / PB2 Game