Netcode

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Netcode

Postby iDomino » 16 November 2019, 11:50

With the recent update, the hit registration is now client-based. Which means, whatever you shoot, hits wherever you aim. Regardless of ping. That's great, but there's a ton of downsides to it.

a.) Netcode.

Given player A and B fight against each other in stryde-sniper, Player A aims for player B who is selfboosting away from him in order to seek cover and reset the gunfight. Here's Player B's perspective:
Spoiler: Show More

As you can see, B is successfully selfboosting away and A shouldnt be able to hit him. Right?
No. Because due to B's ping, lets say 170, A sees him for up to 170ms since the action from B was initiated. Example again below:
Spoiler: Show More

That essentially means, that the server still needs 170ms for the character model to travel in the position of B's pov in the screen of A, allowing him to hit him really easy. Fixing the client-based hitreg is a step in the right direction, but I know another game that has died to the Netcode simply being not on a standard it should be on. Now I am not too familiar with how netcode works and how it is being processed or how to actually improve it as a Server Owner/Developer. Maybe Eric can't even go further as the server in California is provided by Coolbuddy(as far as im aware). But nontheless, the netcode should be prioritized in order for this game to reach its full potential. Nevertheless, I want to thank Eric, the staff team and all working people for this great update, which was definitely a step in the right direction. Now to my second point.

b.) Ragdolls

I have noticed an issue, which is known to many actively playing players at this moment. Whenever a character, whether it be your own or an enemy, selfboosts and engages in flying movement in combination with the X key, the ragdoll seems to rapidly move, stutter and make it impossible to hit this person. This only occured with the recent patch. Now to my last point

c.) Disappearing weapons

So basically once I spawn into a map, the game automatically spawns me with a weapon. But apparently, if you throw said weapon away, it just respawns another one or your weapon randomly disappears once another player spawns/joins a game. Thinking you are without a weapon, you try to go for one when immediatly the same weapon gets attached to you. This is really confusing and I'd like this to be fixed.

Thank you for reading thru!
my signature was really big and ugly so it got removed
iDomino
Civil Security Lite [100]

Return to Website / PB2 Game