Battle of the Five Factions

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Postby mrblake213 » 21 October 2019, 04:55

A site implemented event on where five of the factions (Civil Security, Usurpation Forces, Correction Nine, Falkoks, and Androids) dominate the game by actively participating in the community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will this work?

Basically, each of the faction would fight to be on the top of the activity leaderboards.
The summation of the experience points of each member of the faction would be the faction activity or faction score on the leaderboards.

Spoiler: Show More
An example of the leaderboards:

How long would be the span of the event?

Preferably, it's better if we did it in seasons.
Each faction has an equal chances on winning per season.
A season could last up to 4 months or 6 months.

How can I join a faction?

When registering, a dropdown box would be shown in the registration form that would classify you as member of a particular faction.
If already registered, you can set your faction on your edit profile page.

Note: When already joined in a faction, you cannot leave or change factions. This is to be fair and just to other factions.

What could be the rewards?

The main reward would only be bragging rights. Basically, a special recognition to the faction and its members.
- Faction flags could be set up all around the website.
- Your name could be included in the list and announced in the site, forums, and discord.
- You could have a special status in your profile such as "Winner of Battle of the Five Factions - Season 1".
- Special ranks for forums and roles in Discord.

Other medias:
Example of the faction leaderboards:

Example of the faction profile page:

Brag your faction in-game

Your faction flag listed in your profile

Faction winner of the season gets their flag displayed everywhere in the website

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All information written above is tentative.

This is a new idea. Do you agree or disagree?
If you have something to suggest or to improve in this event. Feel free to comment below.

Credits to Ditzy for the idea
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Re: Battle of the Five Factions

Postby Build » 21 October 2019, 05:00

This is a nice idea
also do you guys realize this

nice try blake

btw
CORRECTION NINE will surely win
Last edited by Build on 21 October 2019, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
Build
Falkok [250]

Postby mrblake213 » 21 October 2019, 05:03

What I also like about this idea is that it could potentially improve activity in PB2.

Aaaaaaaaand perhaps act as the base/framework of the Clan System in the future.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby GoldenKnife » 21 October 2019, 05:04

omg guys, look, it's me there, let's all be correction 9 (me) and dominate all of PB2, we shall order 66 anyone who opposes us
GoldenKnife

Postby Kostadin 8 » 21 October 2019, 05:10

+1, i think this would be a good idea to bring even more reasons to play
Kostadin 8
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby ditzy » 21 October 2019, 05:28

mrblake made me to share this mockup with you guys

> Some thoughts:
  • Seasons should last a month (beginning on the first day of the month and ending on the last).

• I think players should be able to switch factions during the first few days of a new season. In the first 5 or so days of the season players should be able to change factions, in case they're unsatisfied with the faction they've joined.

• As for design, I think we should create faction logos instead of using the characters from each faction. I think it would be cooler to have a faction badge beside your name over the head of a character.

Heck, we can even have a small event for designing faction logos

• Rewards: There could be another profile field that lists all the seasons where the player's faction had placed within the top 3, and some badges to go with the titles.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Jusiah » 21 October 2019, 06:10

This looks really cool. It's worth a shot to release it and see how it would make maps look more cool.

Jusiah
Recruit

Postby wazzasski » 21 October 2019, 08:49

Not bad. Let's see how it goes on PB2.
wazzasski
Recruit

Postby yi en » 21 October 2019, 09:35

Overall, it is a totally good idea, but...
Did you know a cyan staff already hosted a PvP match which is about the 5 faction war but not succeeded? Idk why though, but hopefully won't make the same mistake again.
yi en
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby ustopable » 21 October 2019, 10:17

My only problem is how about the faction that have too few players? Are they going to get bonuses on experience gain to catch up?
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby mrblake213 » 21 October 2019, 10:23

ustopable wrote:My only problem is how about the faction that have too few players? Are they going to get bonuses on experience gain to catch up?

What if there's a system that allows team balances.
For example, if CS has 8 people while the others has 7. You'll be forced to pick other factions other than CS to balance the numbers out.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Jason Eden » 21 October 2019, 10:28

1. What if I join the event as a member of CS faction but then change my game character to, let's say, UF soldier? What will you do? How will your team control it?

2. Can you people come up with something more unique than "bragging rights" as reward? There are so many rewards like this in PB2 already. Not many people care about them anymore. Give winner money or something. Maybe unique MP skin at least.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby Star Fox McCloud » 21 October 2019, 11:52

Jason Eden wrote:1. What if I join the event as a member of CS faction but then change my game character to, let's say, UF soldier? What will you do? How will your team control it?

2. Can you people come up with something more unique than "bragging rights" as reward? There are so many rewards like this in PB2 already. Not many people care about them anymore. Give winner money or something. Maybe unique MP skin at least.

Or having an ability to change your gun color could be cool too, or having different color/font name in game within DM matches

Star Fox McCloud
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby Jason Eden » 21 October 2019, 15:04

Star Fox McCloud wrote:Or having an ability to change your gun color could be cool too, or having different color/font name in game within DM matches

That's probably too much work for Eric. Adding an alternative version of already existing skin to the game swf file is not hard, but doing what you suggested would require more time and effort, which I think Eric would prefer to spend on PB3. I may be wrong though. It may be easy for him. I'm not a games developer to tell.

But yeah, something should be done about this. Playing events just to be able to brag is stupid. I mean look at this guy. He got a legend twice and a PL winner badge twice too, but who cares about him getting those? Nobody. So what's the value of these badges or "bragging rights"? Zero.

-EDIT-
Also, isn't this supposed to be "UF" and not "US"? The abbreviation for "Usurpation Forces" is "UF", not "US". United States, lmao.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby mrblake213 » 21 October 2019, 16:25

Jason Eden wrote:1. What if I join the event as a member of CS faction but then change my game character to, let's say, UF soldier? What will you do? How will your team control it?

I believe implementing this idea will have the need for limiting your character skins to your faction skins; that would make players more inconvenient because they'll be forced to use a skin that they do not want to. Like they won't be able to choose other factionless skins such as Avre and etc.. Another way to determine one's faction in-game would be the "badge" or the faction flag beside their name when pressing tab.

EDIT: Just discussed this with Kiri, it's to either add another faction named "Factionless" and would be able to let you use skins without a faction or that everyone will default to "Factionless" but you wouldn't be considered part of the event. We both agreed that the first choice is better and more practical.

Jason Eden wrote:2. Can you people come up with something more unique than "bragging rights" as reward? There are so many rewards like this in PB2 already. Not many people care about them anymore. Give winner money or something. Maybe unique MP skin at least.

Money is not included in the choices. As we are only volunteers, we don't earn money for this responsibility. If PB2 has money, I believe it's better if it's just used for the servers. But, if there's a willing member of the staff team or community members that could donate prizes then it is possible. Possible outside-of-PB2 prizes could be Discord Nitro or steam keys for major events. However, the only thing that the staff can afford are on-site things. Unique skins and player-colored names are already thought of as rewards for PL events (another on-going idea) which could also be used in this one.

Jason Eden wrote:But yeah, something should be done about this. Playing events just to be able to brag is stupid. I mean look at this guy. He got a legend twice and a PL winner badge twice too, but who cares about him getting those? Nobody. So what's the value of these badges or "bragging rights"? Zero.

I do not know what you are talking about. Some veterans or "old players" of PB2 still play the game in order to maintain their spot on the leaderboards. I still see some people in Discord brag about their PPP or Skill Points and even intimidate (saying something like "I'll reach your PPP") other players on the leaderboards as well. Perhaps if you find the time to be active in the whole community, both site and chat, and not just solely focus your attention here on the forums.

Jason Eden wrote:Also, isn't this supposed to be "UF" and not "US"? The abbreviation for "Usurpation Forces" is "UF", not "US". United States, lmao.

It's what most people in Discord use as an abbreviation for Usurpation Forces. The first two letters of the faction name. But sure, if it would be better and to make users less confused, this could be changed to UF.

Just a note for everyone, since this is a website-implemented system. Eric would have the final say on things as he is the only one with the ability to implement this system. I appreciate all of your constructive criticism as this could help in the improvement of the system and would help in decreasing the issues presented when actually implementing this system.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Jason Eden » 21 October 2019, 17:35

Honestly, this whole event feels like it is a cheap imitation of clan wars. "CS faction", "US faction", "C9 faction"... Doesn't it remind you of anything? It's how clan wars were supposed to work before you decided to completely remove them from the game. So why don't you guys focus on reviving clan system instead of all this?
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby phsc » 21 October 2019, 20:57

other than DARK CLAN, are there any clans with a high member count? making it a specific limited number of pseudoclan based on PB2 lore would be easier to get into than clans, playerbase and culture would make it difficult for decently sized clans to become a thing
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby mrblake213 » 23 October 2019, 14:06

Jason Eden wrote:Honestly, this whole event feels like it is a cheap imitation of clan wars. "CS faction", "US faction", "C9 faction"...

Yes it is, as I have said it could be the framework of the possible clan system in future games.

Jason Eden wrote:Doesn't it remind you of anything? It's how clan wars were supposed to work before you decided to completely remove them from the game. So why don't you guys focus on reviving clan system instead of all this?

Technically, clans weren't part of the game as there is no existing clan system before. It was all third party and unofficial that's why it was difficult to moderate and thus removed by former staff. But I for one is pro-clans as it was the reason I was motivated to stay in the game.

phsc wrote:other than DARK CLAN, are there any clans with a high member count? making it a specific limited number of pseudoclan based on PB2 lore would be easier to get into than clans, playerbase and culture would make it difficult for decently sized clans to become a thing

This could be a drawback if the clan system were to implement today. As the playerbase has decreased since then, I'd say new clans today only has like around 10 or below members while older clans usually have a lot and have usually moved to other games as well. Perhaps if this system were to be implemented as a "test" or "experiment" if an official and on-site clan system would be good to implement in future updates. But I'm sure clans would be in PB2.5
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Stamtish » 28 December 2019, 17:16

Civs are Sick.

This would also require challenging Maps and challenges, and different playstyles other than just killing each other.
very nice idea.
Last edited by Stamtish on 28 December 2019, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your Friends close, But Keep your Enemies closer... -Blade
Stamtish
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Zufix » 28 December 2019, 17:20

Very interesting idea! I'm all in for this. Banners could be improved upon though but overall a really good idea to increase player activity in the community.

Though I am concerned, Eric will use up more of his time doing this event and implementing all the features shown and maybe even more but he won't be working on PB2.5 during that time, which will result in PB2.5 taking longer to come out. Unless anyone else from the staff team can implement this, which I doubt, then I'm all in for this idea. :D

Edit: Just noticed the comment about how Eric is the only one who can implement such an event. I'd personally rather have the new game being finished faster than this but something like this is really appreciated especially since the games active playerbase has been declining.
Zufix
Recruit

Next

Return to Website / PB2 Game