Remove 'Around the Campfire' and 'Forum Games'

Give us your feedback about the forum! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Remove 'Around the Campfire' and 'Forum Games'

Postby o_Sniper_o » 29 April 2017, 01:03

Both sections are unrelated to Plazma Burst. This forum is to discuss Plazma Burst, is it not? I feel that these boards only exist to give people a reason to visit the forums.

Around the Campfire is usually filled with shitposts, and the forums isn't even a good medium for the 'RtD' games.

Removing these might stop people from visiting the forum at all, but it also might encourage more mature and thoughtful discussion in other parts of the forum.

The real problem is that the forums seem so separate from the game, nobody except those passionate for the game visit it.

Another problem is that there's no barrier-to-entry for the game. A paid experience would stop most children from accessing the game, and thus participating in forum discussion. 'Course there isn't much to solve this, PB2 is a free-to-play browser game, and will remain to be one. Hopefully PB3 will be pay-to-play.

Perhaps more staff interaction with the community in-game could help bring more mature users to the forums.
o_Sniper_o
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Remove 'Around the Campfire' and 'Forum Games'

Postby Tempus » 29 April 2017, 02:25

We do our best and add whatever is most requested/popular. Forum games were a requested feature. My main concern is as long post count does not increase, I don't have a huge problem with it.

I've been thinking about asking for ad donations (users who might donate to help run ads for PB2/Pb2.5). I'm unsure if anyone would be interested as bigger ads could cost about $25.00 USD/day, reaching almost 15,000 people a day on facebook.

Most players don't want to interact with the forum unless it's to appeal a ban or to report a bug. Some players that are more involved, such as yourself, are more invested into the community.

Something to look at for the pay to play idea, player would have less of a reason to break rules/hack, ect since the account could be suspended/banned and forcing them to re-purchase the game again.

But, this is only Eric's decision. If he feels the game has met that expectation and quality, who knows? Maybe.
Tempus
Advisor

Postby KARL SERG » 29 April 2017, 09:22

The AtC is for discussing external issues and should be there, since we may want to discuss things which are not related to the Game (there are quite a few). As for the Forum Games, I don't personally care about them.

Also, thankfully it doesn't contain that much shitposting. It is fairly clean compared to other Forums I know.

As for the pay-to-play, it will probably not happen, unless Eric puts up a purchasable Version on Steam. Although it will support him more, it will not really block annoying Children from joining, but will certainly make People more aware of the Rules as Doomwrath said.

In the end, this is indeed a nominally bad Idea. Things will most probably remain the way they are.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby thetoppestkek » 30 April 2017, 09:49

o_Sniper_o wrote:Both sections are unrelated to Plazma Burst. This forum is to discuss Plazma Burst, is it not? I feel that these boards only exist to give people a reason to visit the forums.

Around the Campfire is usually filled with shitposts, and the forums isn't even a good medium for the 'RtD' games.

Removing these might stop people from visiting the forum at all, but it also might encourage more mature and thoughtful discussion in other parts of the forum.

The real problem is that the forums seem so separate from the game, nobody except those passionate for the game visit it.

Are you even reading what you're writing? ATC has it's sole reason in the community for off-topic discussion, and just because shitposts occur every once in a while doesn't mean we do not deserve an off-topic area. Take a look at other forums that have ATC-like sections and go spit on me afterwards

About forum games, I'll assume you specified "RtD" games just because the other games seem to be thoughtless and boring. Are you even aware of the effort that goes in to the RtD on the GM's part? Are you even aware of how much thought and effort rolling takes, or are you just bashing shit for the sake of bashing shit?

Also, I don't see how removal of these two sections in question will encourage mature and thoughtful discussion in the forums, as it would cause more frustration to certain people who liked the ATC or FGs section sparking arguments throughout the forum

The fact that you also elaborated on your idea being not beneficial for the entirety of the forums makes the hypocrisy very staggering

o_Sniper_o wrote:Another problem is that there's no barrier-to-entry for the game. A paid experience would stop most children from accessing the game, and thus participating in forum discussion. 'Course there isn't much to solve this, PB2 is a free-to-play browser game, and will remain to be one. Hopefully PB3 will be pay-to-play.

Perhaps more staff interaction with the community in-game could help bring more mature users to the forums.

No. Simply because so-called "children" are acting like shit-tier idiots doesn't mean a large portion of the community should be restricted from access to the game. Also considering that most children have a family member with a credit card to purchase the game in question doesn't really restrict the population of children as you stated above. Not to mention the fact that the children in question might be just really immature adults. Making the game pay-to-play will just cause the game's community sink further in inactivity

I also don't see how making the game itself pay-to-play will restrict access to the forums, considering most accounts will be transferred over to PB2.5/PB3

I also doubt how staff interaction would help considering how isolated most players are from the staff team, putting the fact that the staff team in question wouldn't have time for that aside
thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby iLionz » 30 April 2017, 09:54

Pay-to-play is an atrocious idea, PB2 would've died back in 2011 if it were. The game being F2P and easily accessible for children is the reason for the game's survival.

The ATC and Forum Games sections are present on almost every forum out there. ATC allows people to talk about non-PB2 related subjects and Forum Games increase the activity of the forums.

Also, RtDs are meant to be played on forums.

-----

Salt from the RtD community above
Last edited by iLionz on 1 May 2017, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Testing, testing

iLionz
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Kazy » 30 April 2017, 13:13

o_Sniper_o wrote:[...]

Well, ATC and FG Sections are at the moment the most used sections because the community is certainly *Dead*.
There has been alot of things related to PB2 and the community to discuss on the forum in the past and right now there just isn't as much as before.
That may explains alot.
Spoiler: Show More
- if you read this, you can read.
Kazy
PB2 Official Weeaboo

Postby DoomWrath » 30 April 2017, 18:16

The community uses a feature heavily. Let's delete that feature!

How about no.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby GhostX5 » 1 May 2017, 23:17

I disagree with this, why delete the ATC and FG? They were really good to use with such things, especially the ATC, this was the time I started to create the topic, "What Gift Do You Want To Get For Christmas?" Well, that was locked for too long, thanks to someone who suggested me to lock it up because the holiday has already been passed. Now it's deleted, I have to wait for the time when it's near Christmas.

For FG, I have suggested a game, well, I would be cancelling it, because I didn't have a good measurement of range, that was for the shooting a gun, because my game would be using some sprites by monster rules. Of course he accepted my permission for using them in such comics and like. I don't really like that it would be deleted, because there are far more things that I have never done in the FG.
United Special Operations ~:~ RYZE-138 aka Ghost-138 ~:~ Leader of Alpha Team ~:~ Master Chief Petty Officer
Keep Moving Forward.
GhostX5
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Return to Forum