"Diamond Valley"

Postby Jason Eden » 11 October 2019, 22:29

Map name: [MP] Diamond Valley
Map ID: jason eden-rp1
Map description: "Welcome to the Diamond Valley, visitor!"
Map gamemode: multiplayer deathmatch
Map Page Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=951613
Map Demo Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=jason%20eden-rp1

This is a project I've been working on for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be able to finish it without help of: Kubakuba, Boom5, CakeSpider and Darkstar 1. I would also like to thank Eric Gurt for releasing an update which allowed me to create a map like this one. This map is one of the most detailed maps of PB2, so I hope you'll enjoy it. Leave your feedback in this topic please.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: Show More

Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Re: "Diamond Valley"

Postby meliante » 11 October 2019, 23:34

DAMN ITS SO FCKING GOOD DUDE I LIKE IT :D
Now I understand why you hurried the output of the stable version so much
I cant rate right now... but my vote would 5 stars
https://prnt.sc/ox8tpk
F the game. F
meliante
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby mrblake213 » 11 October 2019, 23:40

This is actually a good map.
Truly shows on what you can achieve using the new updates.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby yizhe » 12 October 2019, 01:32

that is a great map! you sure put in alot of effort in this one. keep it up!
Meep!
yizhe
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby boom5 » 12 October 2019, 02:45

You did an amazing job. Probably one of the best maps for detail by far.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.” - Patrick Henry
boom5
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Jason Eden » 12 October 2019, 12:51

meliante wrote:DAMN ITS SO FCKING GOOD DUDE I LIKE IT :D
Now I understand why you hurried the output of the stable version so much
I cant rate right now... but my vote would 5 stars

mrblake213 wrote:This is actually a good map.
Truly shows on what you can achieve using the new updates.

yizhe wrote:that is a great map! you sure put in alot of effort in this one. keep it up!

boom5 wrote:You did an amazing job. Probably one of the best maps for detail by far.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. Please let me know if you find any issues with the map. Maybe bugs or if some area doesn't look good enough I want to know it.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 12 October 2019, 19:32

I think it's a beautiful display piece. Well put together and is pretty cohesive.
I like the animated flames in that abandoned building.

However, I think it could be better if the objects in the map could be interacted with. Perhaps the lockers could be opened, or the screens can be turned on? Having some objects (Like buttons for example) give noise feedback(such as blips) would greatly help enhance the atmosphere.

A functional elevator could be a good addition as well, as the decoration already implies that one exists.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Jason Eden » 12 October 2019, 19:57

ditzy wrote:I think it's a beautiful display piece. Well put together and is pretty cohesive.
I like the animated flames in that abandoned building.

However, I think it could be better if the objects in the map could be interacted with. Perhaps the lockers could be opened, or the screens can be turned on? Having some objects (Like buttons for example) give noise feedback(such as blips) would greatly help enhance the atmosphere.

A functional elevator could be a good addition as well, as the decoration already implies that one exists.

Thank you for your feedback. I wish I could add all this stuff you suggested, but please don't forget that PB2 prefers simple maps with low amount of elements. My map takes about a minute to load in ALE and sometimes it gives me an error and my browser stops working. I'm afraid adding interactive stuff will make this map unplayable (laggy). And unplayable maps are always bad maps. This was the reason why I was also limiting myself with the details on my previous maps.

In fact I was actually surprised that this map doesn't lag much (at least on my PC). My map jason eden-rvb2 has x2 times fewer elements but it lags x2 times more than jason eden-rp1. Magic...

I actually always wanted to create an entire city map in PB2, but 2 buildings with no interactive stuff inside is pretty much the limit for this game. Maybe PB3 will let us create bigger, more detailed maps. Maybe if I decided to stay for PB3 I would make a whole city map I always wanted. With interactive stuff, quests and other things people suggest, but I'm not staying for PB3 unfortunately. Maybe this map will give people the inspiration to do that instead of me.

P.S. CS soldier hologram on the fountain is animated too.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 12 October 2019, 20:09

Jason Eden wrote:I wish I could add all this stuff you suggested, but please don't forget that PB2 prefers simple maps with low amount of elements. My map takes about a minute to load in ALE and sometimes it gives me an error and my browser stops working. I'm afraid adding interactive stuff will make this map unplayable (laggy). And unplayable maps are always bad maps. This was the reason why I was also limiting myself with the details on my previous maps.

I think the key is to balance your decorations and your triggers. Take this map for example. It doesn't use nearly as much decoration as your map does, but trades the simpler design for more space and more environment interactions. It should be possible to make a pretty map without using too many decorations. That's the idea behind minimalist art and I think it's really effective.

I noticed that most of your decorations are single pieces. Since the decorations are static, there isn't much need for them to be separate pieces. If you made all the decorations in one set (room) into a single decoration in PhotoShop/GIMP or something you should be able to save on decoration count and loading time.

About loading, there's a period after the game loads where the game is fetching all the decorations. Have you considered adding a loading screen?
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby Jason Eden » 12 October 2019, 20:31

ditzy wrote:I think the key is to balance your decorations and your triggers. Take this map for example. It doesn't use nearly as much decoration as your map does, but trades the simpler design for more space and more environment interactions. It should be possible to make a pretty map without using too many decorations. That's the idea behind minimalist art and I think it's really effective.

Fun fact: that map is laggy as hell for me.

ditzy wrote:I noticed that most of your decorations are single pieces. Since the decorations are static, there isn't much need for them to be separate pieces. If you made all the decorations in one set (room) into a single decoration in PhotoShop/GIMP or something you should be able to save on decoration count and loading time.

Yes, I was thinking about that, but I don't think I have time or wish to do that right now. I'm sort of tired of everything and just want to chill, you know? Maybe you could make a huge detailed map using this lifehack? You're a good designer, you can do that and add interactive stuff too?

ditzy wrote:About loading, there's a period after the game loads where the game is fetching all the decorations. Have you considered adding a loading screen?

I was speaking of opening a map in level editor. Level editor crashes itself, not the game.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 12 October 2019, 20:41

Jason Eden wrote:I was speaking of opening a map in level editor. Level editor crashes itself, not the game.

Ah. I did mean loading as in loading the map. The red boxes can be a bit of an eyesore. I'm not sure what can be done about the ALE, aside from cutting down on decor count.

Jason Eden wrote:Yes, I was thinking about that, but I don't think I have time or wish to do that right now. I'm sort of tired of everything and just want to chill, you know? Maybe you could make a huge detailed map using this lifehack? You're a good designer, you can do that and add interactive stuff too?

I've got a ton of projects queued up myself, in addition to real world responsibilities. It would be interesting though.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby Jason Eden » 12 October 2019, 20:45

ditzy wrote:I've got a ton of projects queued up myself, in addition to real world responsibilities. It would be interesting though.

Okay. Good luck with your future projects. Can't wait to see them.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Postby Jason Eden » 14 October 2019, 15:23

The map has reached 26 votes and now it is open sourced. This map is copyright free and thus anybody is free to copy map elements or whole map at once. You can credit me if you want or not credit me (depends on your wish).

Map contains 144 logics elements, 221 background pieces and 613 decorations (number may change in future if I decide to update the map again) and therefore it will take a while to load in level editor, so don't worry if your browser shows you an error message or something and just wait patiently for the map to load completely.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Return to Multiplayer Maps