[PvE] Zombie escape: City

Multiplayer Maps here.

[PvE] Zombie escape: City

Postby Booraz » 24 February 2019, 19:17

Map name: Zombie escape: City
Map ID: booraz-zombies
Map description: On the run from zombies, raiders and the gritty city itself. Can you escape?
Map Page Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=927281
Map Demo Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=booraz-zombies

Q & A stuff

Q: Well there's more than enough zombie maps, why'd you make one more?
A: I enjoy PvE enviroment/COOP gameplay. Besides, this one uses quite alot more than just CS-Bosses running around with "swords" trying to kill you.

Q: What's more in it than other maps?
A: There's some zombie variety. The regular zombies are "CS-Bosses" (figure they can stay generic since it's always the template skin for zombie), there's runners (The faster and harder to kill zombie), and there's spitters (Slower zombie but shoots virus at you), and on top of that, there are raiders searching for supplies and killing everyone on sight (including you, trying to abandon the city).

Q: How large is the map? Am I expecting a short or long experience?
A: Quite large. From start to the end plane there's about 47000 "pb2 units" to walk trough zombies and raiders.
It could go infinitely long if I didn't add pushers to each sides of the map. But hey, a COOP map has to end somehow.

Q: That's quite large! Won't such map size kill framerate?
A: Well, it's not really that large. I mean yes, you have to walk that much to survive and win, but it's actually based around 4 sequences. Each sequence spawns 12 buildings "randomly" so there's at least some variety. So there's 12 variations to appear in each sequence, and each sequence variation can be mirrored.
So overall: 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 (11 variations for each sequence, would be 12 if mirroring didn't exist) then that result gets multiplied by 2*2*2*2 (mirror variation for each sequence)
So basically, 160000 map variations in theory, but every single one will be very similar because they're using the same 12 buildings over and over again.

Q: What about enemies? If there is alot of them, won't that kill the framerate too?
A: Well they're "recycled" so I don't think that affects it much as it would placing 100's of zombies on the map.
There's about 7 or 8 zombies, 1 spitter and 1 jumper zombie, and up to 5 raiders on the map. Every time each one of them die, they spawn in about 5 or 6 seconds further away from last death location.

Q: What about buildings? If they're "random" how are they synchronized?
A: Using var-sync trigger functions. I sync each variable neccessary (Sequences 1 to 4 and mirroring, raider size (from 3 to 5 always) ) based off maximum value between players. I used Eric's example map to override variables for every new player that joins.

Q: You told us about the map's structure, what about gameplay?
A: Each player has 500 hp. First 2 players get an assault rifle, defibrillator and a pistol, while the next 3 get pistol and defibrillator, and last 3 get a pistol. This was done so not everyone is overpowered at the start. The remaining players can find weapons troughout the map and "safe spots" that are located between "sequences". Player's health does not regenerate. You can occasionaly find "painkillers" which are basically teleport grenades assigned to slot 4. When used, they regenerate a part of your health back over time. Some raiders can drop those, there are some at the safe spots and some in the map.

Q: Why'd you make this map?
A: Because I needed to test the "infinite map system". I intend to use it in my upcoming survival map.
EDIT: I might open source such a map system aswell. I'd like to see what others could do with it.

Booraz
Recruit

Re: [PvE] Zombie escape: City

Postby Fellow » 26 February 2019, 13:03

A good map, only lags a lot
No pain, no gain! Always aim for the purpose!

Fellow
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: [PvE] Zombie escape: City

Postby Booraz » 26 February 2019, 16:03

Fellow wrote:A good map, only lags a lot

Thanks, but yeah that's unfortunate, I was hoping for PB2 engine to be more optimized. maybe I could do some stuff to optimize the map more

Booraz
Recruit

Return to Multiplayer Maps