Attack Helicopter!

Singleplayer Maps here.

Attack Helicopter!

Postby takanuva15 » 27 June 2020, 04:09

Map name: Aerial Menace
Map ID: takanuva15-aerial_menace
Map description:
Spoiler: Show More
You know what PB2 could use? AN ATTACK HELICOPTER! So I made one with all the following perks:
-Pilotable via regular keys
-Automatic minigun
-CURSOR-GUIDED missiles!!!!
-Force-field repulsion from the front
-Animated helicopter blades
-Rotates and angles based on your horizontal speed

Have fun!

(more desc on the map page)

Map Page Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... ial_menace
Map Demo Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=t ... ial_menace
Brief Description: An attack helicopter in PB2!

Last edited by takanuva15 on 27 June 2020, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
takanuva15

Re: Attack Helicopter!

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 27 June 2020, 17:18

The gif reminds me of Dustoff Heli Rescue. Anyways, looks awesome, and I'll be sure to try it out! Oh, nice how I inspired this too! :D

EDIT:
Now that I've played a little of it, I'll say that it's wonderful. Very little to no lag, even though I didn't change any of my settings. Acceleration sucks unless you turn on Time Warp, but that's just me. Nice job with the forcefield and the missile too. Creates some pretty unique gameplay. Love the destructible terrain, though it could be done a bit better. Kind of strange to see a perfectly rectangular part of the wall disappear out of thin air. Intro also pretty cool.

As for more critical feedback, all I really have is:
Increase acceleration in non Time Warp mode.
Some more weapon variety, like burst fire unguided rockets or something.
The homing missile seems to only explode when it collides with walls and your mouse cursor, making it tough to use as an air to air projectile. Then again, they cause damage as they pass through an object, like a BNG projectile does, so I guess that works.
It's strange how missiles don't damage the warship at the end, but the cannon does.

Anyways, that's about it.

This is definitely my Corvette level on steroids, I'll tell you that.

Also, alien dweebs... ^_^
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby takanuva15 » 28 June 2020, 04:09

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:Acceleration sucks unless you turn on Time Warp, but that's just me.

Fixed this in an update. Should be faster now. The Time Warp totally surprised me; I never bothered to try time warping in the helicopter. I guess that's a cool "feature" that unintentionally came up.

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:Love the destructible terrain, though it could be done a bit better. Kind of strange to see a perfectly rectangular part of the wall disappear out of thin air.

Yea, it does look unrealistic. I spent so much time trying to fix the helicopter logic and just get the map working that I was too frustrated to spend time fine-tuning the backgrounds to be "jagged" on destruction. Thankfully it's not a critical part of the map lol.

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:Some more weapon variety, like burst fire unguided rockets or something.

I'm assuming these rockets would be aiming in the direction of the minigun. Definitely would be possible, but I'm burned out in dealing with the mess of logic for the helicopter. Once the open-source version is released, feel free to mess with it and send me the map link; I can add it to this map's description.

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:The homing missile seems to only explode when it collides with walls and your mouse cursor, making it tough to use as an air to air projectile.
It's strange how missiles don't damage the warship at the end, but the cannon does.

Yes, the homing missile is really just a door that's flying towards your cursor. There isn't an easy way to calculate if an enemy is within explosion radius without some complicated region setup around the missile, so I left it as-is and just required the player to put their cursor over whatever target they want to nuke.

As for the alien ship stuff, the missile doesn't count as a "projectile" so there's no way to assess the impact damage of the missile explosion on the ship. (Super annoying). I'll throw in some conversation about the "alien armor" being missile-proof so it's not as weird lol
------

Thanks for the feedback!
takanuva15

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 28 June 2020, 16:40

Acceleration is much better now.
Also, when I called for more weapon variety, I was thinking more of rocket pods attached to the wing of the chopper that would fire in the direction the helicopter nose was facing, requiring you to do strafing runs over targets (as moving forwards tilts the helicopter forwards, aiming the nose at the ground). I don't know if that will make the logics any easier for you (if not harder).
Nonetheless, this map is on my favorites list. Nice work with it!
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Return to Singleplayer Maps