.: BUG REPORTING :. | Confirmed Bug Megathread

Report any bugs here or ask questions here!

.: BUG REPORTING :. | Confirmed Bug Megathread

Postby Nyove » 8 June 2020, 10:12

Everything related to ALE trigger action bugs:
https://nyov.pythonanywhere.com/bug

Other issues:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=25147 (FMA songs does not work.)
Your own unapproved custom decorations does not appear on standalone launchers.
Last edited by Nyove on 30 November 2020, 04:10, edited 29 times in total.
Proud to be part of something meaningful.
Need any assistance? Join the PB2 discord server at https://discord.com/invite/Bhe9rNz or raise a support ticket at https://www.plazmaburst2.com/support

Contact me on discord for quickest reply possible.

Nyove

Re: Actual ALE bugs

Postby daft punk 777 » 9 June 2020, 10:01

i know one more bug - if you set AI to your team (for example alpha) and then he will try to pick up weapon wich team is alpha too he cant, but if player is alpha , AI is beta - he can pick up beta weapons. Strange thing with allies...
daft punk 777
Falkok [250]

Postby nightmar » 9 June 2020, 13:51

daft punk 777 wrote:i know one more bug - if you set AI to your team (for example alpha) and then he will try to pick up weapon wich team is alpha too he cant, but if player is alpha , AI is beta - he can pick up beta weapons. Strange thing with allies...

The mods are aware of this bug yet they do not seem interested in fixing it.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Girl_Power » 9 June 2020, 21:35

nightmar wrote:
daft punk 777 wrote:i know one more bug - if you set AI to your team (for example alpha) and then he will try to pick up weapon wich team is alpha too he cant, but if player is alpha , AI is beta - he can pick up beta weapons. Strange thing with allies...

The mods are aware of this bug yet they do not seem interested in fixing it.

No, I think they did this on purpose. If they didn't, why wouldn't they fix it already? It doesn't seem like a complicated fix...
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby TcBot » 10 June 2020, 19:35

Nyove wrote:Here are some ALE bugs (some minor, some major.)

Trigger action
Move Region A to Region B (centres will be located at the same point)
- does not actually move region B to the center of region A.
- Instead, the top-left of region B will be place to the bottom-right hand corner of region A. (If both region has same size, otherwise can't really predict results, need more testing.)

For me all OK

Trigger action
Move Region 'B' relative to current position along 'Y'
- Typo, not really a bug
- Should be Region 'A' relative to current position along Y indicated by 'B'

Not a bug?Ok.Never saw that trigger option.

Trigger action
Move region 'A' to cursor of player 'B'
- does not work on multiplayer. The region simply doesn't move. It works perfectly on Singleplayer.
- Move region 'A' to cursor of player-initiator's cursor works perfectly tho.

Its move,just make timer and trigger that moving region to cursor of player,then add parameter that activates timer that activates trigger(recommended set 0.01 as delay)

A range of hex color doesn't seem to work on placeholder text decorations and backgrounds.
For example : #85B5FF. (Maybe its not a bug but PB2 allows only a limited amount of hex colors, therefore only accounting hex colors with significant change)

Bruh,in background parameters you can change it and all will be OK.And about text,yes it dont will be colored.

Changing of game scale results in certain blocks not being displayed correctly (slightly shifted out of place).
I think everybody knows this by now.

Dont scale game then.

Trigger action
Move Character 'A' to Region 'B'
- doesn't really work when a player is holding on to a ledge.
- The player will first move to the region, but as the player is still holding on to the ledge, the player is immediately pulled back to its original position.
- there's a bypass / workarounds to this but I don't think this effect is intended.

No,i tested.Everything OK.

Trigger action
Execute trigger 'A'
- doesn't execute in order (unless there's a IF trigger action on top (kinda weird))

Tested:Working.

TcBot
Recruit

Postby Nyove » 11 June 2020, 07:30

I'm sorry but did you actually test these trigger actions and measure the results?
Or did you only read the text in blue and not the explanation below?

EDIT:
Updated the topic.
Added 4 more trigger action bug.

Feel free to contribute ALE trigger action bugs here!
Last edited by Nyove on 7 October 2020, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Need any assistance? Join the PB2 discord server at https://discord.com/invite/Bhe9rNz or raise a support ticket at https://www.plazmaburst2.com/support

Nyove

Re: .: BUG REPORTING :. | ALE Trigger Actions Bug Megathread

Postby jeje52 » 6 August 2020, 12:38

Nyove wrote:Trigger action
Execute trigger 'A'
--
Trigger actions don't execute in order. Workaround is to use timers with delay of 0 for trigger actions that needs to be executed in a certain sequence.
--
Severity: LOW

I've used this action in everything I've made so far and I haven't had any issues.
When you execute a trigger, it will stop executing the current trigger until the other one is done, at which it will come back and execute the rest of the trigger. I don't see why it would be any other way. Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but it's the only issue I can think of.
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Nyove » 6 August 2020, 13:21

I tested it and yea you seemed to be right.

So strange tho I clearly remember this issue exist (and it still works with continue if trigger actions) or maybe I did something wrong back then.

Thanks for clarifying!

--

Removed it from the list.

Nyove

Postby nightmar » 7 August 2020, 15:36

Btw the trigger action "Move Region A to cursor of player B" actually does work in multiplayer. Defensive used it in his test map when the major update happened and it worked. If you have had problems with it maybe explain the situation?
Last edited by nightmar on 17 October 2020, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Nyove » 7 August 2020, 17:00

I'm a confused man now HAHA ngl.
I remember tested it and it not actually working.

To be fair I tested it a long time ago so maybe it was patched?
Or maybe I just tested it wrongly.

Thanks for the info and sorry for making another mistake yet again.

Nyove

Postby S U P E R » 12 August 2020, 09:03

Nyove wrote:Set Gun 'A' length to value 'B'
--
Does nothing without any error message in SP and MP.

It does (not sure in MP). But buggy. It changes the position of where the gun's projectile is launched when shooting. But if the value is too big (more than 322) or is 0, the gun would be messed up. There is anther problem though.

When gun length is 20. (alien laser rifle)

When gun length value is 100. (alien laser rifle)
S U P E R

S U P E R
Recruit

Postby Nyove » 12 August 2020, 17:05

Thanks for clarifying this point for me. I assumed it will cause a visual change on the guns but it looks like it didn't.

I will edit and update the thread.

EDIT:
Did more testing, and it seems like even though the the bullet originates somewhere further, enemies still take damage near the point the bullet should originally come out from.

Notice the gun just fired, and the bullet comes out from somewhere further to the right, but my character still takes damage.
This image was taken by first recording the entire process and then taking a screenshot at the frame where the bullet originates.

Nyove

Postby xElijah » 6 October 2020, 19:16

1) Change character "A" skin to "B".

In multiplayer deathmatch it only works on player-initiator screen. On everybody else's screens the player's skin will automatically go back to his default DM one. This makes it impossible to make custom skins in base/bunker/school and other maps where this function could come in handy.

2) Bind trigger "A" execution to key "B" press event.

It is not able to determine who is the player-initiator when the selected key was pressed. This bug really limits the possibilities for making good maps.
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Nyove » 7 October 2020, 08:47

Hey xElijah,

Let me address the two points you have mentioned.

1) Change character "A" skin to "B".
In my opinion, this is not a bug. This is because players are supposed to have their DM skins in DM matches.
Furthermore, you can actually change the skin of the player in DM if you used a infinite timer with 0 delay, constantly changing the skin of the character.

2) Bind trigger "A" execution to key "B" press event.
This trigger action is purely client-sided. Therefore, you should be testing for current player instead of player initiator.

Best regards,
Nyove

Nyove

Postby xElijah » 7 October 2020, 12:01

Hello there, Nyove. Thanks for the reply.

Nyove wrote:1) Change character "A" skin to "B".
In my opinion, this is not a bug. This is because players are supposed to have their DM skins in DM matches.

Yes, players have their DM skin in DM gamemode. Understandable. But the question is why can't they have a custom one in a custom non-approved map if this is what map maker wants? What's the point of limiting the possibilities of map developers when they can actually make something entertaining with usage of custom skins that people would actually enjoy playing?

Nyove wrote:Furthermore, you can actually change the skin of the player in DM if you used a infinite timer with 0 delay, constantly changing the skin of the character.

PB2 engine is not strong enough to handle today's maps. Many factors create unnecessary lag. Why should we use workarounds to solve the issue when it could be solved on a game code level with least affection to the game frame rate?

Nyove wrote:2) Bind trigger "A" execution to key "B" press event.
This trigger action is purely client-sided.

Maybe there is a way to make it non-client-sided then? It would make things easier.

Nyove wrote:Therefore, you should be testing for current player instead of player initiator.

What do you mean?
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Nyove » 7 October 2020, 16:24

Hey xElijah,
This took me about an hour and a half to write.

xElijah wrote:Yes, players have their DM skin in DM gamemode. Understandable. But the question is why can't they have a custom one in a custom non-approved map if this is what map maker wants? What's the point of limiting the possibilities of map developers when they can actually make something entertaining with usage of custom skins that people would actually enjoy playing?

This is all speculation.
I don't think Eric Gurt's intention is to limit DM skin in DM gamemode. Back when he coded the game, he may not have expected that players would want to have custom skin in DM mode simply because he visioned the game as a shooting game at the start. Perhaps he coded it in a way that is easier for him, or is more efficient, or for syncing purposes. (Entities in PB2 are synced in a fixed interval.)

Or maybe he do intentionally limits DM skin in DM gamemode, simply because he expected only arena maps and would be weird (for the user playing as well as the other players) if one specific character had a different skin in DM.

xElijah wrote:PB2 engine is not strong enough to handle today's maps. Many factors create unnecessary lag. Why should we use workarounds to solve the issue when it could be solved on a game code level with least affection to the game frame rate?

I agree to a certain extent. Optimisation is very important in map making, but one infinite timer and a infinite trigger calling one trigger action is barely a tent in the computation work required. (even though it is technically an extra work.)

You may have an initial impression of an infinite trigger action completely using up PB2's game engine's resources. I had that impression too, but this notion is wrong. Think of it like this, a game works having it's game engine constantly running a loop, checking and testing for game logic. In this case, the PB2 engine has to calculate a lot of things, like wall collision, movement intention detection, damage check, etc.. Utilising one trigger action will not cause much lag, if any at all.

Proof of concepts:
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=971751
This is a parallax map, which works in MP. There are a lot of variable trigger actions and calculations with 0 delay and an infinite call timer, but the map never lags.
-
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=920829
This map has so many logic, it lags on the ALE itself. it has countless infinite timers running at 0 delay, but ingame it runs very smoothly. (of course I also attempted to optimise trigger actions as much as possible, keeping object count low.)
-
Many maps utilising custom guns uses a infinite timer with 0 delay.

In my entire map making career, I have never encountered a situation where triggers are responsible for the lag the map generated (for me and others). Of course, this is dependent on my computer specifications too, but if you want your map to be lag-free, I believe entities is the huge contributing cause to lags in maps.

In case you are curious about factors you need to take note for optimisation: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=24494

You would also not want to distract him from developing PB2.5, do you? :P I don't think calling it a bug is a suitable term for it. Bugs are more for unintended features, like selfboosting and glitching.

xElijah wrote:Maybe there is a way to make it non-client-sided then? It would make things easier.

xElijah wrote:What do you mean?

For your keybind tutorial, the map source for your reference will be:
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/level_edit ... e-bind&a=#

There isn't a way to make the keybind inherently server sided. Depending on the task you want to achieve, you may want to utilise syncing mechanism.
Credits to darkstar 1, he's one of the best map makers I have ever seen.

Why player-initiator does not work?
When player 1 presses let's say the [R] key, only player 1 will execute the trigger binded. In other player's screen, the trigger isn't executed and so there's no initiator (in a sense).

Utilising region sync trick so that keybind is synced.
Region sync trick revolves around the concept that some trigger execution type will be synced regardless. For an example, executing a trigger using region activation type 'Character' will be synced, meaning other players can see that one specific player executing that trigger, even if the region is not there for other players.

Map source explanation
When a player presses the [R] key, a region will be moved to the player who initiated the button. To know which player pressed the key, we utilise trigger action that gets the slot of the current player.

If you don't understand how slot of current player trigger action works, I suggest you learn this concept first.
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=24483

Since the execution is client-sided, it means that only the current player must be the one executing the trigger (keybind). (The keybind trigger is not executed in the screens of other player, since the trigger execution is client-sided)

Once we successfully moved the region to the correct player who pressed the keybind (current player), the region will execute another trigger. Because of region sync trick explained above, other players also execute that other trigger, even though in their screen the region is not moved at all.

In this other trigger, you can put the functionalities you want to put. The functions will be synced and you can even use player-initiator variable if you wish.

Do test it out in MP.

Additional thoughts
Why all this trigger work? Why not make player initiator work from the start?
- The main issue with PB2 is that the game is a client-sided, posing a significant amount of problems that we as a map maker have to try to tackle.
- The complexity of trigger work is what makes me love map making in the first place, so it's a double-edged sword to me.

Good luck, there may be a lot for you to absorb.

Best regards,
Nyove

Nyove

Postby xElijah » 7 October 2020, 18:07

Nyove wrote:This took me about an hour and a half to write.

Sorry. Seems like it took you a lot of time to describe how certain triggers and optimization work, but I know how they work. Guessing if automatic skin change in DM was intended or not intended by Eric when he was coding the game wasn't necessary too. You could save a lot of time if you just didn't write all that.

Nyove wrote:Proof of concepts:
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=971751
This is a parallax map, which works in MP. There are a lot of variable trigger actions and calculations with 0 delay and an infinite call timer, but the map never lags.
-
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=920829
This map has so many logic, it lags on the ALE itself. it has countless infinite timers running at 0 delay, but ingame it runs very smoothly. (of course I also attempted to optimise trigger actions as much as possible, keeping object count low.)
-

They both give me low fps. Maybe it's just my PC.

Nyove wrote:You would also not want to distract him from developing PB2.5, do you? :P

Makes sense.

Nyove wrote:For your keybind tutorial, the map source for your reference will be:
https://www.plazmaburst2.com/level_edit ... e-bind&a=#

Thank you. Very useful.
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby ghtmare » 25 October 2020, 19:08

A new triggers seem not to work at all.

Action 337: Set variable 'A' to X direction of Character 'B'

Wherever the player is or whichever side the player faces, it returns 1.
ghtmare
Recruit

Postby Nyove » 26 October 2020, 14:22

Hey ghtmare,

Yep. I am aware of this bug. I will update the list once I finish consolidating all of the bugs I have encountered.

Best regards,
Nyove

Nyove

Postby Darnit525 » 30 October 2020, 23:38

I don't think the trigger action "Set variable 'A' string-value to string-value of Gameplay modifications field from match starting screen" works on deathmatch.

I don't know if this also applies to other gamemodes or not, i only tried deathmatch.

What i did: set up a timer which at the start of the game should run the trigger action, then run some other triggers with results depending on the variable, which didn't work, after checking to make sure there were no typos, i ran a trigger to display the variable in chat, which just returned the variable's name implying no value set.
Darnit525
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Next

Return to Bug Reporting, Help & Support