Bug Report-A syn bug of Trigger on Death

Bug Report-A syn bug of Trigger on Death

Postby ghtmare » 31 March 2020, 13:19

When using "trigger on death" of a player object to activate triggers in MP, some trigger actions fail to synchronise in other players' screen (Only appears in the dead player's screen). This also happens in SP when your teammates are made by player objects instead of actor objects.

Eg:
When A kills B, the door will move.
Spoiler: Show More

When B is dead, in A's screen

and B's screen

reply to jeje52(wow you are my friend xD):
Sorry, I didn't notice that you had reported it already xD.
There's abosolutely something wrong with the Trigger on Death. I have no idea how to fix it without checking player's health all time. I think it may cause much lag (especially in my country xD).
I think this bug is really serious and might be terrible for custom MP map makers.
I found the bug when I'm playing an old assassin maps, found that killing the enemy boss was not killing all minions. And when I test my sniper ghost map, the dead player's energy didn't turn to 0 as it is supposed to be. Then I made the test map and confirmed this bug.
And I've found something with this bug.
I was confused why my "capture the flag" map can still work upon this bug. The death message displays properly as usual. And this might be reason:
The Death Trigger can be triggered in everyone's screen if there's a action to revive the "dying player". So I doubted that the trigger can be triggered or not might related to whether the triggering player is dead or not in other's screen.
But to revive a player and kill it later is just ridiculous...
Em... So when will the bug fixed? Does Eric know this bug?
Last edited by ghtmare on 31 March 2020, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
ghtmare
Recruit

Re: Bug Report-A syn bug of Trigger on Death

Postby jeje52 » 31 March 2020, 14:47

This is a bug that I already reported two months ago. Shame it isn't fixed yet. It breaks a lot of maps and fixing it yourself with triggers is painfully hard to do.

I first saw the bug when I was testing another bug related to death triggers (heh). My first thought was that the dead player failed to send info to other clients that the player had died, which caused the trigger to only be called client-side. I don't know exactly what happens, but it's somewhere along those lines.

I tried to fix it using sync trigger actions. It worked in the testing map but failed to work on another map. The other map had a revive system, however, which could have messed it up. If you need a fix that works somewhat, you can find a link to it in the topic I made previously: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=23779
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby ghtmare » 31 March 2020, 15:48

Sorry, I didn't notice that you had reported it already xD.
There's abosolutely something wrong with the Trigger on Death. I have no idea how to fix it without checking player's health all time. I think it may cause much lag (especially in my country xD).
I think this bug is really serious and might be terrible for custom MP map makers.
I found the bug when I'm playing an old assassin maps, found that killing the enemy boss was not killing all minions. And when I test my sniper ghost map, the dead player's energy didn't turn to 0 as it is supposed to be. Then I made the test map and confirmed this bug.
And I've found something with this bug.
I was confused why my "capture the flag" map can still work upon this bug. The death message displays properly as usual. And this might be reason:
The Death Trigger can be triggered in everyone's screen if there's a action to revive the "dying player". So I doubted that the trigger can be triggered or not might related to whether the triggering player is dead or not in other's screen.
But to revive a player and kill it later is just ridiculous...
Em... So when will the bug fixed? Does Eric know this bug?
ghtmare
Recruit

Postby jeje52 » 1 April 2020, 00:24

ghtmare wrote:I have no idea how to fix it without checking player's health all time. I think it may cause much lag (especially in my country xD).

I don't think it would cause too much lag. Think of how many calculations and loops the game goes through in a single frame by itself. A timer and trigger that gets and compares hp values can't make a difference.
However, if you use player health to fix this bug, you will face problems with the "resurrection" that sometimes happens with the new netcode. The death trigger would be falsely called when the player didn't die, but only on the shooter's screen. It would cause desync issues, although much less than the bug we have now.
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby ghtmare » 1 April 2020, 09:12

Good news:
Eric fixed this bug this morning. (em... CHN's morning xD)
Now Trigger on Death works properly on others screen.
YELLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
ghtmare
Recruit

Return to Bug Reporting Archive