A Paid Subscription Model ideas?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Re: A Paid Subscription Model ideas?

Postby ZapruderFilm » 9 April 2021, 01:10

Gashadokuro wrote:I considered supporting but
1 - I don't know where my money goes; the California server? Hosting the forum?
2 - I get nothing. The 40€ Patreon tier for example only has a 3 month old poll.
3 - There's about 30 people left.
4 - A site option doesn't feel safe.

I did subscribe for like a 1$ about a week ago, just cancelled it though.

1The money goes to hosting the Cali server. The cali server hosts the website, forums, all user data and obviously the cali server.
The money goes directly to coolbuddy, eric isnt involved.

2 you get to keep playing the game and have a pb2 acc which will be gone if the money disappears.
3 theres a lot more than 30 people that play pb2, but that may be about an accurate concurrent player count.
4. Site only stores your name and subscription status Stripe holds all other data (billing info etc...)
ZapruderFilm

Left PB2 Staff to join Dark Clan.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby phsc » 9 April 2021, 02:09

Tortoise wrote:I'd just like to remind everyone that multiplayer has always been totally jank and has either had game breaking glitches or massive latency issues for all 10 years the servers have been running. I know it's upsetting to the few dozen or so people still playing online regularly, but if Eric can't make enough money from advertisements to break even there's not much you can do.

ok, this is actually something that has way less impact than youd think, while i agree that pb2 has never been poggers w its netcode or anything, a lot of games arent, league of legends has had terrible servers n the game is buggy and glitchy as deliciously exquisite pizza sauce (used to be way worse), mostly when new champions come out, and people deliciously exquisite pizza sauce love it, DOTA has had many absurd server issues and every tuesday (at least in SA but i think its still worldwide) the game basically goes down for maintance, and people love it, league also has that, some random days it dies from like 4 am to 10 am which is actually believe it or not a quite active time for the game, not to mention how it goes to shit every time a new patch comes out and HOW THE deliciously exquisite pizza sauce LEAGUE OF LEGENDS LAUNCHER SUCKS
but a more pb2 style example would be a quite good and popular game, escape from tarkov, where the netcode is shit and hits dont register and people deliciously exquisite pizza sauce teleport, its really similar to pb2 but its a super realistic FPS and that really kills the immersion, i wont even mention how hackers n such also affects games, i do agree this all is unpleasant but its not the reason the game goes to shit or why people stop playing games, i think the netcode change was a big deal in pb2s case because it changed how combat worked p much and that is something people often dislike, mostly considering higher ping players literally had an advantage
but people seem to only see whats negative when it comes to pb2, see pb2 has never rly had big issues with hackers and such, because of the netcode that does take care of it, mostly the new one

This isn't an issue with the game being mismanaged or not advertised enough, there just isn't money in flash games anymore and that's probably why Coolbuddy is cutting their spending. The kids who would've been playing flash games 10 - 15 years ago are now mainly mobile games or free to play stuff like Fortnite or Dota 2 or whatever. I'm not a game developer guy but I'm pretty sure that's where the money is these days.

i disagree, ROTMG aka realm of the mad god was a flash game, it was added to steam and it did kinda turn on its back and still has a decent playerbase and such, this happened a while ago, pb2 didnt do that and look at it now, if you compare both games you can see, just adding pb2 to steam and allowing people to play it from there wouldve been poggers into getting new plaeyrs in, a lot of people cant rly run the fancy 3d games like fortnite, and a lot of these use steam and play like some indie games like terraria and some crappy shooters that appear there from time to time or weird stuff like unturned, pb2 couldve got that audience in the game, but eric didnt do that, the launcher as in how pb2 works rn also could work for steam (a lot of steam games do have launchers, war thunder, lotr online, and many others)
BUT YES, mobile is the biggest market, ur right on this, the numbers wont ever be as high as they were in the past, mostly after flash's death, this is kinda impossible for pb2 but... eric, if ur reading this, what if you make pb2.5/3 able to run on mobile as well? controls shouldnt be an issue i mean deliciously exquisite pizza sauce league of legends now has a mobile version called wild rift, if that game a deliciously exquisite pizza sauce moba moba being a genre that came from rts which is way more complicated to play n execute is playable on mobile in a decent way, i think pb2.5/3 also can, keep that in mind
also im kind of a game dev guy it isnt my career but i have it as a hobby im currently working in a game and have been for a while and i had game dev classes a few years ago and i know a few game devs as well so yeah im p sure about what im saying

Personally I wouldn't pay money for stuff like merch, skins or rainbow coloured usernames. While I'm sure some people would, the community is too small for this to be a reliable source of income. I'm also sure some of you would be willing to donate money, but again this wouldn't be reliable enough to run a business on. Like phsc said, you need a consistent stream of income and I don't see where that could come from.

theres another thing, eric never rly made money out of pb2 and its quite clear he has a real time job, servers arent that expensive mostly if they dont have a big load, and this is pb2s case, theres no reason to be able to have 1000 players online, maybe in the future when 2.5 releases or whatever, just hold the money n work w smaller values for the website (website hosting can be quite cheap!), however its prob a good mkove to keep the current stuff because moving all the data from pb2s current servers to different ones would be living hell

No offense to this game, but there's just no way it could work on a subscription when so many other games which aren't janky 2d flash games from 10 years ago are free to play. So unless someone is willing to front the server costs themselves, It's just not viable. I dunno, I'd like someone to prove me wrong because I like this community a lot, but Plazma Burst 2 and flash games in general have been on a slow steady decline for years now.

i dont think the idea of the post was to like say pb2 is going to work in a paid subscription like a ton of idk MMORPGs do, the idea is to have some paid stuff, if the idea is to have an actual paid subscription it is really dumb, but like something like a battle pass or some VIP system or whatever could work, some people get their fancy nicknames and skins (emphasis on the skins! not rly possible for pb2 but 2.5/3 its a good idea), turns out ROTMG has that! i think at least, it also has an ingame currency that you can pay and it does give you better items and such theres also some visual stuff i think, and the game works, theres no need to make it p2w in pb2s case, just fancy skins (that can turn kinda p2w in some cases but its really minor anyway)

IforgotmypasswordHaHAA wrote:As someone pointed out, even with a paid subscription model it's not possible to cover the server costs, so my idea is trying to reduce said server costs by any means possible. I'm not sure about how montlhy server costs are measured so assuming server costs get reduced by ''reducing space'' these are my suggestions:

idk who said that? anyway eric himself didnt, but heres the thing, i myself have a website (https://phscdev.com/ btw its heavily in work in progress but it exists and i did some stuff w it but its not relevant here) and considering how much i pay for it and the total traffic it could have its absurdly cheap, i know people who own bigger websites which had activity to the level of pb2 currently has and its quite cheap to keep, the ingame servers are hard to judge but it shouldnt be much i think? anyway reducing space isnt a big issue, space in general isnt, the big issue is traffic as in amounts, like 50000 people opening any page is much worse than 5000 people, the amount of pages matters little or whatever, this is just stored and hosted and its only really used when someone wants to check such a page, most of these like forum ones are barely used anyway and generally the total data hosting services have is quite absurd, anyway what does pb2 run anyway? a VPS could take care of the current traffic i am pretty sure? its quite expensive to keep one but wouldnt eric profit a lot out of having it? what about one of these that are like just a portion of a VPS? considering he could use it for pb2 and that new game i forgot the name and of course pb2.5/3 etc it could easily take care of that and 2.5/3 could pay it back up if eric like adds it to steam or something

another thing, the quality of the netcode isnt much about how good the servers are, mostly about how good the programming behind the servers are, this is another thing, optimization is key, too much work for pb2 but for 2.5/3 or that new game of his? that could be very viable and prob already is
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 9 April 2021, 02:14

Phsc, just to elaborate on why PB2 is so costly.
It requires a VDS to properly handle the sheer amount of data the game holds. Keep in mind that you get charged for network traffic after a terabyte, and typically VPS'S have a very small amount of storage. Basically I think that mapmakers in the level editor, people downloading the game repeatedly, and other factors have made a VPS out of the picture for anything exceot simple hosting multiplayer matches like the Ukraine server already does.
ZapruderFilm

Left PB2 Staff to join Dark Clan.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby phsc » 9 April 2021, 02:28

ZapruderFilm wrote:Phsc, just to elaborate on why PB2 is so costly.
It requires a VDS to properly handle the sheer amount of data the game holds. Keep in mind that you get charged for network traffic after a terabyte, and typically VPS'S have a very small amount of storage. Basically I think that mapmakers in the level editor, people downloading the game repeatedly, and other factors have made a VPS out of the picture for anything exceot simple hosting multiplayer matches like the Ukraine server already does.

make it more costly on the users machine! again, how effective it all runs is important, encode the data (should be less costly than spending an absurd amount of money just sending the pure xml for maps) into small strings, send it to the user, JS does the magic, instead of constantly reuploading map info and such, waht about only tracking the differences? of course this is very complicated to execute with pb2 considereing how the xml maps are formated, anyway a thing ive never understood is why pb2 is so focused on the servers and not so much on a local level, eric could adapt the level editor to run in a similar way to the pb2 launcher, and work loading files and such, couldnt he? then you just constantly download the file and it keeps updating it and you can upload it to the site after you test it, making it way more local, is this too much work? probably, but it does solve the issue, it was all design issues from the start i guess, i dont know how hard it would be to adapt it to a more server-friendly way tho, i would really like if eric answered this question

the same could be applied to downloading the game, do that many people download it really? mostly after flash's death and how the launcher works

about the data the game holds, what exactly does it hold? player data shouldnt be an issue i mean you know i have like half of pb2s users saved in a database of mine and its like around the 200 mbs in mySQL and all of that which is very effective at storing information, the matches as you mentioned can be handled fine, decors can be kinda heavy on the servers, but instead of constantly downloading the decors, why not just store them on the computer after downloading them one time? isnt that doable with flash? just set the local storage limit to max as a requirement to play and that becomes viable, what else is there?
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Tortoise » 9 April 2021, 11:12

phsc wrote:i disagree, ROTMG aka realm of the mad god was a flash game, it was added to steam and it did kinda turn on its back and still has a decent playerbase and such, this happened a while ago, pb2 didnt do that and look at it now, if you compare both games you can see, just adding pb2 to steam and allowing people to play it from there wouldve been poggers into getting new plaeyrs in, a lot of people cant rly run the fancy 3d games like fortnite, and a lot of these use steam and play like some indie games like terraria and some crappy shooters that appear there from time to time or weird stuff like unturned, pb2 couldve got that audience in the game, but eric didnt do that, the launcher as in how pb2 works rn also could work for steam (a lot of steam games do have launchers, war thunder, lotr online, and many others)
BUT YES, mobile is the biggest market, ur right on this, the numbers wont ever be as high as they were in the past, mostly after flash's death, this is kinda impossible for pb2 but... eric, if ur reading this, what if you make pb2.5/3 able to run on mobile as well? controls shouldnt be an issue i mean deliciously exquisite pizza sauce league of legends now has a mobile version called wild rift, if that game a deliciously exquisite pizza sauce moba moba being a genre that came from rts which is way more complicated to play n execute is playable on mobile in a decent way, i think pb2.5/3 also can, keep that in mind
also im kind of a game dev guy it isnt my career but i have it as a hobby im currently working in a game and have been for a while and i had game dev classes a few years ago and i know a few game devs as well so yeah im p sure about what im saying

Stuff like Fornite and LoL actually runs a lot better for me that PB2 does. Also the closest server to me is Ukraine and I'm in the UK so latency isn't great. One of the reasons Fortnite became so popular is because it looks decent enough with simplified/stylised graphics and can run on most systems. And at least they have servers that aren't literally 2000 miles away.
https://youtu.be/0c1u5zspRzA
Tortoise
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby astrodex pl » 19 April 2021, 08:22

IforgotmypasswordHaHAA wrote:*Archive all useful tutorials and other useful posts somewhere and delete the forum entirely after that. We can use discord to have any discussion.

what about people with ban on pbc like me
My purpose makes more sense when i look at insanity around that world
astrodex pl
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby _Corporal_ » 19 April 2021, 12:23

mrblake213 wrote:Plazma Burst 2 Staff Team is currently exploring the possibility of having a paid subscription model to support Plazma Burst 2.

We want to open this discussion up to the community to get your feedback and insight as to what things you'd like to see accompanied in a potential paid subscription model for Plazma Burst 2. There have been discussions on discord, and forum topics made similarly addressing this concept of in-game purchases with PB2. We welcome any and all ideas that are applicable and appropriate towards the game.

Please take note that donations to this cause should not be directly donated to Eric Gurt's patreon. Coolbuddy will still be paying for the servers.

Read https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=21 to know more information

It would be nice to add the ability to mix parts of different models and choose the character's voice acting or even use a custom one.
_Corporal_
Recruit

Postby Coolsugar » 22 April 2021, 08:42

What if you added a badge to players in front of their name that would show up in multiplayer? You could also add different badge stages based on how long they've supported the game, sort of like discord nitro.

There could also be a small change to the skin they wore, (optional). Maybe make their helmet golden or give them access to a premium skin.

Coolsugar
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby PeacyQuack » 22 April 2021, 08:45

I agree to CoolSugar that would be cool
We should stop sushex56 together

PeacyQuack
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Coolsugar » 23 April 2021, 08:47

Hyper75 wrote:Wait. So this is actually Pay-2-Win for PP?

No, not really, mostly just perks that do not give you gameplay advantage over other players.They give you stickers and stuff like that for now...
Why is there so much confusion. Keep up with the news and updates page guys!

Coolsugar
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Guest-7539 » 28 April 2021, 08:43

it would be nice if i can make the skin in pb2 but i don't think this idea will be guaranteed :/

Guest-7539
Recruit

Previous

Return to General Discussion