[POLL] Could Plazma Burst work as a First Person game?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Could Plazma Burst work as an FPS?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 40

[POLL] Could Plazma Burst work as a First Person game?

Postby mingo1 » 18 June 2020, 01:09

Just to be clear, I'm not asking whether or not creating an FPS Plazma Burst is possible. I'm asking whether or not you guys feel it can be enjoyable to the same extent you guys enjoy Plazma Burst now.

Your thoughts?

Personally, I think only some maps/modes would work in a 3D/FPS version of PB2. For example, I can see approved sniper maps being really cool in first person, especially with PB's gun and gadget variety. On the other hand, if you were playing a saw map where you have to glitch through a certain part, you'd essentially be jumping towards a wall without knowledge of what's on the other side... And imagine a 3D version of Paul308-base... you wouldn't be able to see the people above or below you, for ex... Overall, I'd have to say no for me, because most of my enjoyment comes from the custom maps area where maps are designed for the 2D side-scroller vision

EDIT: A while ago, Eric tweeted what PB3 would look like in a 3D style --

:)
Last edited by mingo1 on 18 June 2020, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.
mingo1
Administrator

Re: [POLL] Could Plazma Burst work as a First Person game?

Postby phsc » 18 June 2020, 01:15

yeah, however things like map making would get much more complicated, but it would still be possible, i think movement would be really weird, also how would ragdoll and X work out? imagine stryde-sniper but with another dimension, how weird would it be? but it would be interesting

saws would get much more immersive, nade maps would achieve a new level, parkour would be actually cool, roleplaying more immersive, bases would be able to adapt adding some form of window to the front so you know who is at the top or who is not, knowing who is saying what could be weird but voice chat would come in very nice in taht situation, would be very interesting
Last edited by phsc on 18 June 2020, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby mingo1 » 18 June 2020, 01:16

phsc wrote:yeah, however things like map making would get much more complicated, but it would still be possible, i think movement would be really weird, also how would ragdoll and X work out? imagine stryde-sniper but with another dimension, how weird would it be? but it would be interesting

Great point. The thought of self-boosting and flipping mid-air is already getting me dizzy LOl
mingo1
Administrator

Postby wolf653 » 18 June 2020, 01:16

its planned... as a fan made game right now i believe its like barely finished and the creator said he would be going for a cartoonish tf2 style in terms of 3D models
you know i began to realize why youtubers beg for likes and shit its cause people forget to rate otherwise like come on how many people can have under 100 kills!
wolf653
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby phsc » 18 June 2020, 01:18

mingo1 wrote:
phsc wrote:Great point. The thought of self-boosting and flipping mid-air is already getting me dizzy LOl

what about VR? virtual reality first person shooter in PB2, imagine self boosting in that, now that is crazy
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby yi en » 18 June 2020, 05:00

When the development itself doesn't familiar with 3D graphics and physics, I would say stay at what you are.
Otherwise look at some games who wants to try 3D technology and finally they are messing themselves up. phew.

Also, how do we are going to inter-pent the knowledge of "width" in 2D scroll shooter game? like the picture above? no thanks, that would probably the worst idea to describe a base.

Probably it will become like this plazma burst 2 fan-made version below, but it isn't good either but by learning more about arts and physics it will be somehow better.
https://gamejolt.com/games/plazmaburst/261475
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHFNYVl37fg
yi en
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby nightmar » 18 June 2020, 12:01

How exactly are you thinking of throwing in the ability to see through walls without risking cofusing the player? I imagine you would make things near the player tranparrent for the player to see through of them ( kinda like super man's vision) but that can be very confusing.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby darkstar 1 » 19 June 2020, 09:23

I think it would work best as third person rather than first person, with the wonky ragdoll effect

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 19 June 2020, 19:01

nightmar wrote:How exactly are you thinking of throwing in the ability to see through walls without risking cofusing the player? I imagine you would make things near the player tranparrent for the player to see through of them ( kinda like super man's vision) but that can be very confusing.

Many games have already done what you think it's ''confusing''
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA

Postby ECC9 » 19 June 2020, 19:04

no it would suck
Discord: ECC9#6057

ECC9
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 20 June 2020, 01:29

Maybe instead of trying to emulate Plazma Burst gameplay, make it a FPS or something with Plazma Burst weapons and characters and whatnot, with an entirely different gameplay style. I mean, we now have side to side movement in a addition to forward/back and up/down. No need to stay in claustrophobic 2d hallway gameplay. If the game goes 3d, then it'll be more than just a side scrolling platformer, obviously.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby nightmar » 22 June 2020, 01:43

IforgotmypasswordHaHAA wrote:
nightmar wrote:How exactly are you thinking of throwing in the ability to see through walls without risking cofusing the player? I imagine you would make things near the player tranparrent for the player to see through of them ( kinda like super man's vision) but that can be very confusing.

Many games have already done what you think it's ''confusing''

Can you give me an example of a 1st person shooter game where you can always see through walls as conviniently as here?
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 22 June 2020, 07:47

nightmar wrote:
Can you give me an example of a 1st person shooter game where you can always see through walls as conviniently as here?

It's as simple as making a visual effect to differentiate what is behind the wall and what is not. It could be making the wall transparent (thing which many games have) or if you feel ''confused'' you can use other effects like making the objects on the other side of the wall have bright outlines, etc.

EDIT: as an additional solution, making it so you can choose whenever a wall can be transparent or not in the editor could be of help. You could also make enemies being able to be seen through these transparent walls if you don't want it the wall to have a transparent effect. These outlines as I said could be applied to solid objects behind the walls as well.

IforgotmypasswordHaHAA

Postby TcBot » 23 June 2020, 20:44

It will be funny lmao.
Bruh im ready watch chaos on paul308-base in 3D.

TcBot
Recruit

Postby Girl_Power » 24 June 2020, 23:16

I like how it is right now (side-scroller shooter mode). This mode is what makes PB2 so enjoyable in my opinion. Some people already mentioned map making and I couldn't agree more. If FPS was available for PB2, map making would be hell. I hope PB2.5/PB3 will stay as a side-scroller shooter mode instead of turning it to FPS.
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Gashadokuro » 26 April 2022, 23:31

2D combat is heh.

3rd person shooter could be nicer. Also story telling.
Gashadokuro
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby broforce1 » 27 April 2022, 13:26

it seems like a nice addition to the game, but it wont provide comfortable gameplay, and its own benefits seems low.

well, its gonna become boring after certain levels since that its just (up. down. back and front) and how the enemies and weapons could be seen? (more like enemy who look like a stick beam or a paper man) damn i don't think i can shoot arcuately.

like imagine that we get to aim in FPS game, but this game is made to be 2D so i don't think u can aim very well... however, the feature isn't that bad, a feature like this seems cool for parkour or it can be used if someone wanna make dynamic map preview or play a saw map that is made to be played in FPS mode.
[[hmmmmhmAYYUHhhhwassauupp] [/broo] [/ur a [gayr]
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby KuU » 18 May 2022, 17:06

i feel like weapons such as the C9 Assault rifles wouldn't look very good in 3D. However, the enemies and some weapons like the realistic weapons could actually look great.

KuU
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Lance Ryder Wilson » 25 July 2022, 21:21

I did vote "Yes" but I feel like Plazma Burst would, especially the multiplayer, lose its identity and the "fun" but I feel like FPS would have its benefits, so I am in favor of it.

If there were two parts like "3D Multiplayer" and "3D Multiplayer" that would be good but then again, there's a disadvantage, it will lower the activity through a division.

In the end, 2D is old now and things change, so I feel 3D would be suitable for Plazma Burst Series. Eric planned 2 more games after PB3, so let's see how it will go.

Lance Ryder Wilson

Postby alj99 » 26 July 2022, 13:02

This is better as a separate game altogether.
Also yeah, map making would be a lot more complicated; modelling, map design, landscaping. Custom assets would also be way more difficult that it demands some experience ith 3d modelling applications.
About flipping and ragdoll, it's possible you wouldn't design that altogether so there would be pretty much no flipping and weird camera movement.
About gameplay, if pb 3d kept the high jump it may as well be a fast paced pvp like this one i saw in yt a few years ago. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsq6oS7AIgc[/youtube]
Hello.
alj99
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Next

Return to General Discussion