List of all map genres

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

List of all map genres

Postby alj99 » 16 December 2022, 13:59

I randomly made this out of boredom.
Feel free to edit this.

Black - umbrella genre
Green - main genre
Red - subgenre
Yellow - map examples

There's also some debate about trap and saw maps which should be different. I'd like to see more about that.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c5I ... sp=sharing
Hello.
alj99
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: List of all map genres

Postby Tortoise » 16 December 2022, 19:43

All PB2 Map Genres:

1. Deathmatch

2. Base Maps/Clan Bases

3. Roleplay Maps

4. Sex Dungeons

5. Murder Dungeons

6. Saw/parkour

7. Germany 1942 roleplay

8. Custom Campaign Missions

9. Dogshit

feel free to update
https://youtu.be/0c1u5zspRzA
Tortoise
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby S U P E R » 24 December 2022, 11:04

Please show love for singleplayer map : )

Don't know all of the SP genres out there, but my favorite one is the 'singleplayer RPG ' in which you do quests and stories, interact dialogues with npcs, gain better weapon and player stats overtime. One example is an one Max Teabag made where you work in a job and buy gears with the money you earned and gain experience or something (he removed the map I think). I made two experimental maps of this type and each took 6 months to make (they are open source!). Pretty tough and time-consuming to make them.
S U P E R

S U P E R
Recruit

Postby mingo1 » 28 December 2022, 21:35

This is super cool. Would love if there was a way to identify your map as such. For example, if it's a roleplay map but it's called "campfire," you should be able to search for all roleplay maps and find that map... anyway that's a side note, but really awesome list alj!
mingo1
Administrator

Postby alj99 » 29 December 2022, 04:32

S U P E R wrote:Please show love for singleplayer map : )

Don't know all of the SP genres out there, but my favorite one is the 'singleplayer RPG ' in which you do quests and stories, interact dialogues with npcs, gain better weapon and player stats overtime. One example is an one Max Teabag made where you work in a job and buy gears with the money you earned and gain experience or something (he removed the map I think). I made two experimental maps of this type and each took 6 months to make (they are open source!). Pretty tough and time-consuming to make them.

I want to generalise this. After all, you can have a saw map in sp. I'll try to name all the map tags, at least the common ones.
Eventually with better mechanics, the separation of genre between sp/coop hardly matters.
Hello.
alj99

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 29 December 2022, 04:34

Feel like SP maps should be mentioned.
Subcategories of this would be:
Series, involving a sequence of singpleplayer custom maps that load consecutively, sometimes story driven, or maybe not.
Standalone. A singleplayer map that is entirely self contained, and does not load to or from any other maps.
Melee. A map that focuses heavily on melee combat instead of shooting. Melee weapons are often in the form of custom guns.
Hub. A singleplayer map created to load various other maps that are part of a series.
Cutscene. A singleplayer map with minimal or no gameplay elements at all. It often uses choreographed camera and character movement to present events in a cinematic manner. Gameplay maps may also contain cutscenes as well.
RPG. A singleplayer map or series of SP maps that make use of several role playing elements to create open world like gameplay. These maps may record and save player progress.
Experimental. Maps that do not conform to the genre of Plazma Burst 2, or feature otherwise novel mechanics that make them highly unique.

I'll probably add this to the document if you don't mind.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby alj99 » 29 December 2022, 07:13

alj99 wrote:
S U P E R wrote:

I want to generalise this. After all, you can have a saw map in sp. I'll try to name all the map tags, at least the common ones.
Eventually with better mechanics, the separation of genre between sp/coop hardly matters.

To be more specific, genres from different gamemodes can easily interchange into other gamemodes.
If you ask me, the separation between coop/dm/tmd/sp hardly matters to me. I added more gamemode tags in the docs (except obstacle maps since those are obvious) but they're meant to imply what's functionally needed since dm and tdm has respawn mechanics while coop and sp can be similar as they force to go one round at a time, making it easier to set objectives.
And inherently, the difference between sp and coop is that there's only 1 against more players limitations from mp excluded.

There's no stopping map makers from making a campaign series to mp as well. It's probably more inconvenient that way, but the fact there can be similar genres in each gamemode doesn't justify the need to have a separate genres for each gamemode.
Hello.
alj99

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 31 December 2022, 23:07

I think phsc-dino should be in the experimental category.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby alj99 » 1 January 2023, 03:21

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:I think phsc-dino should be in the experimental category.

It's a full fledged, functional mini-game so I disagree.

That said, I forgot arena maps where there's the game master and stuff.
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 7 January 2023, 12:40

Could use some help differentiating between traps and saws.
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 3 February 2023, 03:29

Also remembered there's also slow paced pvp maps.
Usually done through larger fov or high hps. Now what to call them...
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 3 February 2023, 03:41

I think the classification and organization of root genres are a bit messy honestly.
The list only combines if they have some common features or derivations.
Hello.
alj99

Postby alj99 » 8 February 2023, 03:31

alj99 wrote:I think the classification and organization of root genres are a bit messy honestly.
The list only combines if they have some common features or derivations.

Ok, i haven't typed something yet and i knew it's a bad idea. Too many genre overlaps. Saws for example all fits into action sidescrolling platformers but can fit in puzzle games.

I also know little about game genres so it's just more difficult.

Campaign would probably fit more into horde shooter tho. And approved maps into tactical shooter.
Hello.
alj99

Postby Civil_Boss » 14 February 2023, 06:09

School maps (although catagorised as roleplay, the singular concept was widespread from a variety of developers, which I feel should be considered its own genre rather than just 'roleplay')

Modded weapon maps (as well as school maps, I feel as though this is another forgotten genre)

I haven't listed much, and reason for that was that wanted to add genres that I had especially enjoyed and are also forgotten, at least I think they are, honestly it's hard to tell due to having being retired from playing this game or generally just being around this community since 2019
Why don't YOU edit my signature?
Civil_Boss
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby alj99 » 20 February 2023, 13:23

Civil_Boss wrote:School maps (although catagorised as roleplay, the singular concept was widespread from a variety of developers, which I feel should be considered its own genre rather than just 'roleplay')

Modded weapon maps (as well as school maps, I feel as though this is another forgotten genre)

I haven't listed much, and reason for that was that wanted to add genres that I had especially enjoyed and are also forgotten, at least I think they are, honestly it's hard to tell due to having being retired from playing this game or generally just being around this community since 2019

Mod guns are under miscellanious. I don't think they're pvp oriented nor roleplay so i put them there.
School depends on the context since can only be a subgenre (or honestly more accurately, a setting) of roleplay but also a theme.

The way the genres are sorted here are pretty bad in retrospect, with no guidance from existing genre names and conventions. But i guess that's just how it is, doing it this way is certainly easier.
Hello.
alj99

Postby medusahead » 1 April 2023, 03:39

I have only one question - why?
medusahead
Cyber Grub [25]

Return to General Discussion