[APPROVAL REQUEST] DoomWrath-Renegade

Map Approval Requests

[APPROVAL REQUEST] DoomWrath-Renegade

Postby DoomWrath » 14 June 2018, 17:55

Renegade
doomwrath-renegade

[A]
- To the best of my knowledge, the following map fits all requirements to be approved: YES
- The following map contains no unfair hidden features: YES
- The following map contains nothing against the PB2 Code of Conduct: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Required Reading for posting a Map Approval Request: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Map Approval Rules: YES

[B]
- Map Name: Renegade
- Map ID: DoomWrath-Renegade
- Link to Map Page: http://plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=doomw ... &id=891917
- Link to Map Demo: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=doomwrath-renegade

[C]
- Give a brief description of the map: Simple asymmetrical arena for 4v4 fighting.
- Why you think the map deserves to be approved: It's pretty balanced, pretty unique, and being asymmetrical means you have two play styles and strategies to learn depending on which team you play on.
- Any other comments: It plays better than it looks like it should.
DoomWrath
Administrator

Re: [APPROVAL REQUEST] DoomWrath-Renegade

Postby Krutz » 15 June 2018, 04:23

what if you just stay in the spawn
Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby lostmydollar » 15 June 2018, 09:35

Wow. You dont approve your own maps. Thats nice. The map is not nice though. It is too plain, too common. The backgrounds, wall placing, other things. Try something new
John Sidney McCain III
(August 29, 1936 – August 25, 2018)
You will always be remembered
lostmydollar
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby gani » 15 June 2018, 11:28

lostmydollar wrote:Wow. You dont approve your own maps. Thats nice. The map is not nice though. It is too plain, too common. The backgrounds, wall placing, other things. Try something new

The backgrounds is better than cyan-pink one

2000-2018
gani
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby DoomWrath » 1 July 2018, 09:28

Updated the map.

- Removed a few wall elements that were uneven or out of place.
- Optimised some wall placement for faster access in some areas, and slower access in others.
- Optimised certain blockages to be easier to shoot through with certain weapons compared to others.
- Improved background. Added more colour and some patterns.
- Added a door that opens in DM and TDM to allow players an extra route between the two team spawns. This will help decamping. In Co-Op mode, this door will also open after 2600 ticks to allow campers to be flushed out if they camp in spawn.
- Evaluated access to heavy railguns. Both teams now will be on the same level when they meet with heavy railguns.
- Added chute to acid pit to allow red team players to circumvent blue team players camping at the 'sniping window' in Co-Op mode.
- Other very minor tweaks to shadowmap, lighting, and pusher placement by a few pixels.

Also removed the preview image from the map topic since I think it encourages people to judge the map only by how it looks in the preview rather than in a match or how it actually plays.

Krutz wrote:what if you just stay in the spawn

Then you won't be able to get any kills. In Co-Op mode, you will be sitting there on your own until the enemy team comes to kill you. In DM and TDM mode, or later in co-op matches, two routes into spawn now exist. It is harder to camp spawn now.

lostmydollar wrote:Wow. You dont approve your own maps. Thats nice. The map is not nice though. It is too plain, too common. The backgrounds, wall placing, other things. Try something new

I don't believe it's ethical or fair to approve my own maps, at the very least without subjecting them to the same process everyone else has to go through. I think this process of getting feedback helps to improve maps of other people, so why should I not do the same? If any of my maps are approved, it will not be because I have pushed it through the approval process any different to another player's maps, and I will not be the one approving the map.

I have upgraded the backgrounds to make them a little more interesting, though I want to make sure they're not overly distracting or very saturated like a lot of custom maps in the last couple of months. I've made some tweaks to the map and begun to optimise the positions of objects for team equality, though it needs a few more hours of testing in Co-Op mode to verify this.
DoomWrath
Administrator

Postby ditzy » 1 July 2018, 18:08

So I steal Doom's map's name, and Doom steals my backgrounds that I stole from Hik. :thonk:

Just wanted to let you know that you forgot to reset the zoom on the map.
Love the backgrounds by the way.
ditzy
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby wreak » 1 July 2018, 18:22

ditzy wrote:So I steal Doom's map's name, and Doom steals my backgrounds that I stole from Hik. :thonk:

Might just be for SP only, just so you can look at it. Maybe in DM, TDM and COOP its a normal zoom.
wreak
wreak
Noir Lime [600]

Postby DoomWrath » 1 July 2018, 20:17

ditzy wrote:So I steal Doom's map's name, and Doom steals my backgrounds that I stole from Hik. :thonk:

Guilty as charged. In fact, I already had the 2px wide decorations in place, they were meant to be 'veins' of some kind, but when I tested your map I noticed you'd done a similar thing, but with arrows and squares too. The squares worked too well so I had to steal them. In my opinion they're a nice way to have some colour without massively over-saturating the whole map.

wreak wrote:Might just be for SP only, just so you can look at it. Maybe in DM, TDM and COOP its a normal zoom.

Zoom was a feature I used for 10 minutes to check something and has now been removed. Thanks to both of you for pointing that out.
DoomWrath
Administrator

Postby phsc » 1 July 2018, 20:51

im posting what i commented on your map here

this feels like just a bad map
first of all, a team can keep camping in their spawn, not great, kinda like neelfrost-rvb
anyway, the red team has an advantege tho, this position right here, they can get here faster, and can spam so it makes it pretty hard for the enemy team to go in http://i.prntscr.com/dvvkSGoQQ52_9OvgkW52oQ.png
and i also think it is affected by the door desync, which would be a problem for DM and TDM, there are multiple thinks said about sncing in pb2 forums, none really approved 100%, the only true way to sync doors is via databases, but that could be changed by the map creator, so it would be a cheat
weapon choices are kinda bad, the little bastard isnt that great in general, the shotgun is, the railguns both are, even tho i feel like the heavy one is kinda useless as you can one shot people easily with the small one, the cs-rc you can get is great, but would make so in dm soemone who picks it up has a really big advantage
decoration wise, i dont really mind its general look, the acid color makes me sad tho, also some color choice, i really hate modern maps tho, with all this colorful stuff, so id, just my opinion
how to fix it? pretty hard, the spawns are pretty terrible, but i might be able to live with it, id make so that window doesnt have the bottom part, so one can easily self boost into it, maybe killing the camper while doing it, only useful in coop and maybe dm
also id make so the doors close faster
and id remove the elevators and add gravitators cuz... syncing is really going to be bad in this map some times
in a general way, a bad map, going to rate 5 cuz i know how ti feels when ppl rate 1 in your map, but if this gets approved its going to be 1 tho

anyway, i do really like the fact youre trying to inovate, but its just a map i would not play
bye guys
you cant ressurect what is being raped by necrophiliac neckbeards such as tehswordninja
phsc
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 1 July 2018, 23:40

With the way spawns are, there's a very good chance matches will get stagnated because no one will want to leave the comfort of their spawns. Leaving spawns and rushing into the other team's spawn would be a risky move especially since SMGs can lock down corridor-styled hallways like the spawns easily with its bad accuracy, not to mention both teams have clear sight of each other at all times in the spawns

Weapon choices aren't that great but they're better than the starting weapons. The QCcV is really mediocre unless it's in CQC but it's still highly situational nonetheless. It only has a DPS advantage over the C-01s but it still falls short compared to everything else. The map's not impressive and it seems really basic rather than "unique" or whichever word people like to use loosely for every map on this forum

It's not worth a 5 star rating to me and approval is a long shot away imo
Hikarikaze
Proxy [700]

Postby DoomWrath » 2 July 2018, 23:35

1. Since small changes don't seem to make the map much fairer either way, I'm going to redesign the 'blue half' of the map. Weapons might change as well, I liked the SMGs but they seem to be a little spammy in Co-Op modes.

2. Going to try a version with gravitators rather than elevators, though I feel like gravitators are harder to use when attacking a spawn than elevators, since they don't provide stable ground to counter recoil impulse.

3. Spawn camping isn't an issue I've found in testing. In DM and TDM, and after 2600 ticks in Co-Op, the spawns open up to each other which forces players to face off if they just stay in spawn.

4. Acid colour is not modified from the standard game, probably just looks different because of the background. The orange is a bit bright and will be changed. Otherwise, I don't think the red and blue are particularly in your face or obnoxious.

After 3-4 hours playtesting in each game mode I feel like only the window camping is a real issue with the map's balance, and only in Co-Op, but I will make some changes anyway, and make another post here when the map has been updated.
DoomWrath
Administrator

Return to Map Approval Requests