Thoughts on new updates?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Thoughts on new updates?

Postby mapsman5000 » 7 December 2017, 05:33

I was just wondering what you guys think of the new updates PB2 has gotten lately. (New triggers, that NEW GUN! etc.)

As for my opinions, I think this stuff is great!
The triggers add a ton of new possibilities for map making, seeing as you can practically make your own character which is a feature I absolutely LOVE considering how obsessed I am with customizing everything!

Don't have much to say about the variables seeing as that stuff is WAYYYYY over my head, but from what I've seen they're gonna make some FANTASTIC maps!

Now to talk about the new gun! (Combat Rifle CS-OICW in case you don't know)
3 round burst is fun! Selfboosting with it is challenging to be sure, but not impossible at all. As for the model, it's all right but in my opinion it's pretty blocky around the trigger/handle. Other than that though it looks pretty good.
I think it looks like it would work well as a sniper MG type of weapon if one were to mess with it in the level editor.

Overall, I'm loving these updates and wondering what this means for PB2 as a whole. Maybe Eric Gurt will add more content? I sure wouldn't argue if he did! I do wonder what his reasoning for adding these new features are though. Maybe just some cool stuff to keep us from dying of boredom waiting for 2.5? Or maybe just to shut us up about the 2.5 release date for a few weeks. Who knows?

Anyhoo, I kinda went nuts with the literature there, so now I really want to hear what you guys think!
Do you like the new updates? What do you think they mean for PB2? How would you use the new triggers? How useful do you think the new gun is? Etc.
Last edited by mapsman5000 on 24 November 2019, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
mapsman5000
Recruit

Re: Thoughts on new updates?

Postby TerminatorRex » 7 December 2017, 17:16

I would like the ability to change the model of the weapon (bng in disguise as a pistol for example), the name of the weapon and sounds. Non weapon related: more backgrounds and decor would be nice
artstation.com/seedee
TerminatorRex
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby darkstar 1 » 7 December 2017, 18:32

I like the new updates, the reload time increasing/reducing and slot of player initiator helped me on a map already.
And I really like the new gun, always wanted a burst weapon in pb2 (other than the vehicle rocket launcher)

TerminatorRex wrote:I would like the ability to change the model of the weapon (bng in disguise as a pistol for example), the name of the weapon and sounds. Non weapon related: more backgrounds and decor would be nice

Just let a pistol shoot energy and change the reload speed, should give you the same effect as a bng pistol. You could also do that for some other weapons.

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby TerminatorRex » 7 December 2017, 19:42

darkstar 1 wrote:I like the new updates, the reload time increasing/reducing and slot of player initiator helped me on a map already.
And I really like the new gun, always wanted a burst weapon in pb2 (other than the vehicle rocket launcher)

TerminatorRex wrote:I would like the ability to change the model of the weapon (bng in disguise as a pistol for example), the name of the weapon and sounds. Non weapon related: more backgrounds and decor would be nice

Just let a pistol shoot energy and change the reload speed, should give you the same effect as a bng pistol. You could also do that for some other weapons.

Changing weapon model is what i had in mind specifically
artstation.com/seedee
TerminatorRex
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby kaser » 7 December 2017, 21:48

Not sure if this is new or not, but saving maps in the editor now doesn't affect its publish status. Was this change around before the updates or not?

kaser
Recruit

Postby DoomWrath » 8 December 2017, 23:07

The new gun is certainly interesting:

The weapon design is similar to its namesake, the real OICW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective ... bat_Weapon - tall, blocky, and with an integrated optic. The OICW is a multiple round grenade launcher combined with a carbine rifle, calling this gun an OICW makes me wonder if secondary fire modes are something that may be one day integrated into PB2 or PB2.5.

Three round burst is going to be a neat addition to the game too.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby mapsman5000 » 8 December 2017, 23:57

DoomWrath wrote:The new gun is certainly interesting:

The weapon design is similar to its namesake, the real OICW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective ... bat_Weapon - tall, blocky, and with an integrated optic. The OICW is a multiple round grenade launcher combined with a carbine rifle, calling this gun an OICW makes me wonder if secondary fire modes are something that may be one day integrated into PB2 or PB2.5.

Three round burst is going to be a neat addition to the game too.

Secondary fire modes? I like the sound of that! It would make a great trigger function also!
mapsman5000
Recruit

Postby lostmydollar » 11 December 2017, 14:43

this "new combat rifle" is poorly made. it seems like eric spent 5 minutes drawing it. its shooting sound, shooting animation and projectile texture were copy-pasted from assault rifle CS-RC. it doesn't fit pb2 art style which is the most obvious problem

color pattern for body parts is indeed a cool feature but due to pb2 not being as advanced as pb2.5, the pb2 version of this feature has its visual issues. in other words any use of this feature makes player's skin become uglier

as for other features such as the new triggers and ability to affect background hex color without the use of fake water are awesome

-EDIT-
( http://prntscr.com/hlzwho ) oh no, actually the rifle model is made fine except for maybe one line in the stock area. realised it after decompiling the swf file and zooming in. hovewer in game it still looks bad no matter what. it happens sometimes, even if you make things right they turn out to look bad in the end. i believe it needs more colors and be less blocky

-EDIT 2-
also found one interesting thing: the magazine model for this new rifle was put separately from the rifle's model - ( http://prntscr.com/hm076h ) which most likely means that eric was planning to implement the reloading system for this rifle just like he did for m4a1. but at the end he changed his mind and added a burst fire mode instead
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby wreak » 12 December 2017, 00:53

tbh the new vars triggers are one of the best parts about the update. it expands a lot more of what you can do with maps.

gun is nice though...
wreak
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby JayaRaya » 12 December 2017, 03:42

Every update is a improvement step for this game to become better.

- The triggers are cool, we could finally change the characters appearances. Especially in SP storyline maps. (Zombies, New Aliens, Ghosts, etc..)
- The combat gun is pretty nice. (OICW = Objective Individual Combat Weapon. Makes senses..)

And one thing. Is this gotta be the last update for this game ? or Eric gotta do more updates while people waiting for PB2.5 & PB3 ?
This question related to Eric's statement in one of the previous post :

Eric Gurt wrote:I could keep updating PB2 but it's engine can't handle many updates and might start lag/become too big for download and redistribution even more if these are implemented. It has some problems that can't be solved with visual changes. There also been not much more attention to the game after any updates in the past. I think it's clearly pointing at core problems which I'll try to fix for 2.5/3.

(Source : viewtopic.php?f=117&t=20073)

Mind if someone can answer this question, ty.
"Always repent and rectify any mistakes that you have been done."

Spoiler: Show More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMD_LSELAM
JayaRaya
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby tehswordninja » 12 December 2017, 15:31

lostmydollar wrote:-EDIT 2-
also found one interesting thing: the magazine model for this new rifle was put separately from the rifle's model - ( http://prntscr.com/hm076h ) which most likely means that eric was planning to implement the reloading system for this rifle just like he did for m4a1. but at the end he changed his mind and added a burst fire mode instead

The reason this is like this is because the gun is ported from PB2.5.
who needs a PB2.5 release date, anyways?
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Postby lostmydollar » 12 December 2017, 16:41

tehswordninja wrote:
lostmydollar wrote:-EDIT 2-

The reason this is like this is because the gun is ported from PB2.5.

how did you know this? and why did he do that?
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ECC9 » 17 December 2017, 13:20

I don't like that new gun. Idk why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Discord: ECC9#6057

ECC9
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby darkstar 1 » 17 December 2017, 14:37

@lostmydollar Eric said it on twitter, he added it because he accidentally showed it in one of his demos

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby Dandamage » 17 December 2017, 15:11

I think it's a nice gun and I don't really feel like it is out of place in the Plazma Burst universe. I'm still not sure if it's balanced well enough but I've seen that some players already found use for it so I'll just assume that it is. In any case at least it's a new model, so if you don't like the gun you can modify it and it will be visually different from anything else.

The color and model changing for background and characters is INSANE. That's one of the best updates so far and I only say it's not the best because I'm in doubt if the variables are better, which are also insane considering how much you can do with it if you can master it.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Return to General Discussion