[APPROVAL REQUEST] ditzy-uprise

[APPROVAL REQUEST] ditzy-uprise

Postby ditzy » 10 June 2018, 23:52

[A]
- To the best of my knowledge, the following map fits all requirements to be approved: YES
- The following map contains no unfair hidden features: YES
- The following map contains nothing against the PB2 Code of Conduct: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Required Reading for posting a Map Approval Request: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Map Approval Rules: YES

[B]
- Map Name: Uprising
- Map ID: ditzy-uprise
- Link to Map Page: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=ditzy-uprise
- Link to Map Demo: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=ditzy-uprise

[C]
- Give a brief description of the map:
[ Map preview ]

[ Map Description ]

A fault in the programming has caused on-site androids to malfunction, annihilating everything they come across. A special task force must destroy the androids and regain control of the facility.

The map pits a team of Civil Security against Android-SLCs in a 4v4 arena battle. Each player is equipped with a Heavy Railgun v04 CS-OneSOneK, Crossfire CR-42 Ghost, and Defibrillator.

- Why you think the map deserves to be approved: First and foremost, I believe that the design of the map is unique. Layout is typical to your standard arena though. :L The map and weapon selection promotes strategy, as each weapon has its own flaws that can be exploited by the other.

[ Weapon strengths/flaws ]

Spoiler: Show More
Crossfire CR-42 Ghost
The Crossfire has a high RoF with low accuracy. It excels in open spaces, which are present towards the centre of the map. Its high RoF allows it to overpower the railgun in CQC, in addition to providing suppressive fire. It's a good countermeasure to selfboosters who often take advantage of the otherwise open area above the map.

Heavy Railgun v04 CS-OneSOneK
Low RoF and high accuracy, the Heavy Rail is best suited for long ranged engagements. While the Crossfire is deadly in CQC, the Heavy Rail can easily eliminate opponents from a safe distance, taking advantage of the low accuracy presented by the Crossfire.

- Any other comments: The selection of weapons was originally thought up by Venemous.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: [APPROVAL REQUEST] ditzy-uprise

Postby mrblake213 » 13 June 2018, 03:29

Good map.

I can just copy the source, reverse it and call it as downrise.
and put a deathpit.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby ditzy » 26 June 2018, 00:04

Small update.
-Player health was bumped to 195
The map is quite open and it was easy to die from fall damage with 150HP. The health was also bumped up to make players less susceptible to Ghost spam.

-Weapon levels
  • Heavy rail - Level 2
  • Ghost - Level 1

I still wish to have this map approved.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby BLAST3R » 26 June 2018, 09:52

Fancy but not that much, you know how much salt to use to make a good meal. I like that.

I put this on my approval requests on my profile.

BLAST3R
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby phsc » 26 June 2018, 17:01

id say make the hp 180, or even 165 or smth
the fall dmg was a big part of it
its a great map, i already did most of the review with u and it looks like u did what i told u
but now i feel like the ghost is too weakened and idk if gun levels work in mp in approved maps or smth
anyway great map still
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 26 June 2018, 17:51

This is where pixel art is acceptable imo. Previously approved disco club by Mrnat was much worse than this. Judging by the picture though because i cant test it right now.

Id replace current weapons with a gauss sniper. Automatic weapons dont belong here and railguns are quite uncomfortable to use in a client side game

Id also remove a platform in middle top to reduce top spam
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 26 June 2018, 19:00

Alright, thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it. However, there are a few things I would like to say.

phsc wrote:id say make the hp 180, or even 165 or smth [...] i feel like the ghost is too weakened

I've toyed around with the health a bit and the time it takes to kill an enemy with 195/180 health compared to an enemy with 150 health isn't too noticeable in SP. I'll have to test this later in MP though, so I'll keep that in mind.

lostmydollar wrote:Id replace current weapons with a gauss sniper. Automatic weapons dont belong here and railguns are quite uncomfortable to use in a client side game

Interesting. I haven't had too much complaints about the weapon loadouts yet. Personally, I think the Ghost could work in this map. I'll consider replacing the Heavy Rail with the Gauss Rifle.

lostmydollar wrote:Id also remove a platform in middle top to reduce top spam

I've looked into it but removing that platform would open the map a lot more, potentially making spam worse.
Unless I've mistaken the platform you were talking about?
Red represents some possible angles with selfboosting.
If the platform was removed:
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby GZ55 » 26 June 2018, 22:13

While the bottom middle section looks like players could spam through it, this is incredibly well designed. I'm glad to see a resurgence in A E S T H E T I C maps produced by the Plazma Burst 2 player base. I second the recommendation to replace the Heavy Railguns with the Gauss Rifles.

Holy crap, this reminds me. I need to start making maps again.

GZ55
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby lostmydollar » 26 June 2018, 22:53

@Ditzy, yes automatic weapons shouldnt be in egrw1 kind of maps.

That platform, yea i see. My suggestion would do more harm than good. Yet its still the best to do something about it. How about placing a laser at the top of it?
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 27 June 2018, 00:56

Automatic weapons are fine if they're on equal competitive ground but it depends on the weapons themselves. Something like the Ghost wouldn't fit well because it can't compete with the Heavy Railgun on the same level. It gets outclassed nearly all the time, except maybe in CQC where you'd need to be lucky and focus your fire towards headshots with the Ghost to approach the same DPS/damage levels. Even then the accuracy makes it hard to use effectively beyond CQC. Maybe replace the Ghost with a pistol like the CS-Pro or the C-01p imo. It should offer an alternative that also has an okay chance against fighting railguns at more ranges, allowing more opportunities of engagement

I could see the Ghost working even at longer ranges if it's fired in 2 round bursts/semi-auto bursts considering weapon accuracy is dictated by accuracy bloom (the Ghost has really high initial accuracy for the first 1-2 shots, nearly the same spread as the Heavy Railgun). Personally I'd swap out the Ghost for a pistol since SMGs generally are used as spray and pray machines which aren't very viable when compared against a powerful and accurate weapon that can easily out-damage it. The Ghost is only good overall outside of its general usage method instead of in general so it really just becomes more of a niche than anything imo. Plus swords exist and those can outdamage the Ghost easily too while the Ghost has to take some time getting to a kill outside of landing headshots. Weighing mobility options and open spaces together, I don't think the Ghost has much to go with it other than having CQC-level breathing space with damage levels that are subpar compared to other weapons/tactics on the field. Someone with swords could easily close the gap and well be within lethal range in a typical engagement unless you're closer to the sides where things get a bit closer for comfort

Just my 2 cents. I'll leave the decision of keeping the weapons as is to you
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby phsc » 28 June 2018, 02:09

Hikarikaze wrote:Automatic weapons are fine if they're on equal competitive ground but it depends on the weapons themselves. Something like the Ghost wouldn't fit well because it can't compete with the Heavy Railgun on the same level. It gets outclassed nearly all the time, except maybe in CQC where you'd need to be lucky and focus your fire towards headshots with the Ghost to approach the same DPS/damage levels. Even then the accuracy makes it hard to use effectively beyond CQC. Maybe replace the Ghost with a pistol like the CS-Pro or the C-01p imo. It should offer an alternative that also has an okay chance against fighting railguns at more ranges, allowing more opportunities of engagement

I could see the Ghost working even at longer ranges if it's fired in 2 round bursts/semi-auto bursts considering weapon accuracy is dictated by accuracy bloom (the Ghost has really high initial accuracy for the first 1-2 shots, nearly the same spread as the Heavy Railgun). Personally I'd swap out the Ghost for a pistol since SMGs generally are used as spray and pray machines which aren't very viable when compared against a powerful and accurate weapon that can easily out-damage it. The Ghost is only good overall outside of its general usage method instead of in general so it really just becomes more of a niche than anything imo. Plus swords exist and those can outdamage the Ghost easily too while the Ghost has to take some time getting to a kill outside of landing headshots. Weighing mobility options and open spaces together, I don't think the Ghost has much to go with it other than having CQC-level breathing space with damage levels that are subpar compared to other weapons/tactics on the field. Someone with swords could easily close the gap and well be within lethal range in a typical engagement unless you're closer to the sides where things get a bit closer for comfort

Just my 2 cents. I'll leave the decision of keeping the weapons as is to you

actual serious post
so back when the hp was 150, i did multiple tests with ditzy
so the ghost is pretty great actually, its not really about damage, yet about knockback and making so people fail their self boosts or just cant get into position(not camping, as its really easy to flank the person and kill her with a railgun)
so the map plays like this:
you find the person, both try to kill each other with railguns, if one doesnt die, one might rush, the other one will use the ghost so move into a better position and maybe try to shoot the railgun again, if its top its pretty simple, the rushing guy might fall and die, or he might survive but then the dude spamming with the ghost is in a better position, consdering he couldnt kill him yet because railgun wasnt loaded
if it was a pistol, maybe the rushing guy coulve killed the other one really easy considering most pistols have great accuracy, but the thing with the ghost is that it doenst always kill the person, maybe from fall damage, but in a ground fight its like just moving around the map unless one can get really close and then it gets into a sword fight but its pretty complex considering the fast fire rate of the ghost
so it realy plays well in the map
but with the current hp, its not really that great as it really does no damage, back then it would do just a little bit of damage, but enought for a fall damage kill, now considering the changes ditzy made, i feel like one might just self boost get shot fall and not die, and that is realy... bad, as killing self boosters with railguns or just people that are moving pretty fast, mostly laggers, is pretty hard, with a pistol it would also be a little bit harder to hit, but then, some times it would be better to just ignore the railgun, and the railgun is the best weapon of the map
i might have lost my argument at some point and said some random thing but i think u get the point
TLDR: the ghost is great for not allowing enemy movement, not to kill people,
close range: swords, ghost if the person is closing in or running away
medium range: both ghost and railgun, firt not to allow CQC and second to kill the person
long range: railgun
with pistols, long range fights would change and the map would feel really weird, i really like its feeling, its not like stryde sniper with railguns, yet not a generic arena map
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ditzy » 28 June 2018, 06:30

@Phsc, testing at 195 health, the Ghost didn't actually feel underpowered. It had a decent ttk and still excelled at its support role. I won't get into detail, but it still does what it's supposed to do, as you pointed out.

----
I'll try to see what I can do about the spam.
----

June 28, 2018
Updates!
- Deepened the trenches at the ground floor
- Added a gravitator in the centre that can be activated/deactivated

These updates are meant to increase the survivability of players stuck at the bottom, as suggested by flora-. :)

Regarding top spam, I've decided to keep the platform as is for now. Adding a laser would create two choke-points in the centre of the map, which encourages camping and the such. After playing the map a few times, I've found the upper-centre platform to be very undesirable. It's quite an open position and anyone who stays there would be a sitting duck to rails.

Map preview if you're interested.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby Dandamage » 30 June 2018, 21:43

Health limit has been overlooked. Due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback and support from the approval team, and the respect for the other requirements, this map has been approved.

Congratulations.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Return to Approval Request Archive