Name changing in character editor.

Give us your feedback about the Level Editor! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Name changing in character editor.

Postby Konquer » 20 December 2015, 11:06

This would be a great thing! A name that is assinged to person/npc just on game start. I know you can do timer and trigger to do this , but trigger have limited space , and making just another triggers won't help like for a big map that is linked to universe. This is really annoying when making a big map , so just option on the bottom of character editor to set his name at start would be great [i think (becouse there is trigger that do this , so it would be easy to code), i never made anything in SWF , just some in python and batch]. So , please , do it.
http://prntscr.com/9je7ii Forum Takeover
http://prntscr.com/9w48i6 comeback
http://prntscr.com/bnnrqa Simple kill
Konquer
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Name changing in character editor.

Postby Dariy » 20 December 2015, 11:39

I see no point, it's already possible with a trigger action and it's not even a hard thing to do.
ησтнιηg вυт тнє вєѕт ιѕ gσσ∂ єησυgн ƒσя мє
Dariy
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Location: ѕιттιηg ση α яαιηвσω ωιтн α ѕтяιηg αяσυη∂ му ƒιηgєя

Postby JDeck » 20 December 2015, 13:04

Heres a tip :

1. Create character " A "
2. Create timer " A " and trigger " A "
3. Link timer-A to trigger-A and delay to whatever you like
4. Trigger-A changes character-A nickname.

Now select the whole thing , copy and paste. There you go , a very cheap way to change nickname for tons and tons of character/players.
(And , I am on my way to jail for lazy people. )

JDeck

Postby yi en » 20 December 2015, 14:01

JDeck wrote:Heres a tip :

1. Create character " A "
2. Create timer " A " and trigger " A "
3. Link timer-A to trigger-A and delay to whatever you like
4. Trigger-A changes character-A nickname.

Now select the whole thing , copy and paste. There you go , a very cheap way to change nickname for tons and tons of character/players.
(And , I am on my way to jail for lazy people. )

yeah,I agree his opinion.
yi en
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby NNC » 20 December 2015, 19:16

+1, it doesn't feel nice to necessarily have to use a trigger for something basic like this.

Dariy wrote:it's already possible with a trigger action
So what? Are you going to suggest to remove all characters', vehicles', doors' etc settings which can be configured with triggers?

Dariy wrote:it's not even a hard thing to do.
Konquer wrote:trigger have limited space , and making just another triggers won't help like for a big map that is linked to universe

@JDeck @yi en
This way you'd create a lot of junk triggers. It's a waste.
~~~~
NNC
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby JDeck » 20 December 2015, 19:36

NNC wrote:+1, it doesn't feel nice to necessarily have to use a trigger for something basic like this.

Dariy wrote:it's already possible with a trigger action
So what? Are you going to suggest to remove all characters', vehicles', doors' etc settings which can be configured with triggers?

Dariy wrote:it's not even a hard thing to do.
Konquer wrote:trigger have limited space , and making just another triggers won't help like for a big map that is linked to universe

@JDeck @yi en
This way you'd create a lot of junk triggers. It's a waste.

1. If this trigger action wasn't here , some maps wouldn't be here too or as successful as it is. (A lotsSingleplayer map uses this trigger action. )
2. Junk triggers? Sure you are complaining about having limited space in each trigger and now you are complaining about junk triggers? It is the best plan ever. Like here is an example :
You have 100 characters , 1 has its name wrong. Would you want to find the person's name and change it within 10 random triggers of guessing.
OR
Create a trigger above the person to change the name , copy and paste. So that when the name is wrong you can find that guy again and find the trigger that is right above him.

3. What dariy said about possible with a trigger action , only refers to the nickname plus lettme tell you this :
For ex :
If the door speed was taken away and you have to manually set the speed using triggers and timers yourself , then what if you forgot? Sure would cause some trouble.
Lets say the characters have name changing already , and its taken away. Does it costs trouble if you forgot to set the name using triggers and timers? No , the name would be set as the player's name or as " Civil security Lite " , etc. It wouldn't cost trouble.

Hence? Why bother asking Eric Gurt to code some more extra stuffs that are not so important as others? If you are so hardworking in creating a map with tons of triggers , why are you so lazy at creating just a trigger plainly for a name.(I mean sure I am lazy , but at least I still do it with some " Junk Triggers " )

JDeck

Postby NNC » 20 December 2015, 20:50

Shame I can't find that facepalm pic, it'd be very useful right now

JDeck wrote:If this trigger action wasn't here , some maps wouldn't be here too or as successful as it is.
I'm pretty sure I didn't say it should be removed.

JDeck wrote:Junk triggers? Sure you are complaining about having limited space in each trigger and now you are complaining about junk triggers? It is the best plan ever.
I did not complain about limited space. IDK what are you talking about.

JDeck wrote:You have 100 characters , 1 has its name wrong. Would you want to find the person's name and change it within 10 random triggers of guessing.
OR
Create a trigger above the person to change the name , copy and paste. So that when the name is wrong you can find that guy again and find the trigger that is right above him.
Hold on.

JDeck wrote:Would you want to find the person's name and change it within 10 random triggers of guessing.
I have no idea what you just said.

JDeck wrote:Create a trigger above the person to change the name , copy and paste.
I guess you never had to make a serious map with a lot of triggers yet.
NNC wrote:This way you'd create a lot of junk triggers. It's a waste.

JDeck wrote:If the door speed was taken away and you have to manually set the speed using triggers and timers yourself , then what if you forgot? Sure would cause some trouble.
That's exactly what am I pointing at.

JDeck wrote:Lets say the characters have name changing already , and its taken away. Does it costs trouble if you forgot to set the name using triggers and timers? No , the name would be set as the player's name or as " Civil security Lite " , etc. It wouldn't cost trouble.
It could cost major trouble to maps which have a storyline or/and special character names. (Why do I have to say this? Isn't it plain obvious?)

JDeck wrote:Why bother asking Eric Gurt to code some more extra stuffs that are not so important as others?
Because everything else is asked already. It's never a bad thing to make something more comfortable.

JDeck wrote: If you are so hardworking in creating a map with tons of triggers , why are you so lazy at creating just a trigger plainly for a name.
It's not laziness, but optimization. Having 100 triggers just to change characters' names doesn't make any sense.
~~~~
NNC
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby JDeck » 20 December 2015, 21:12

@NNC
1. I referred from what you quote , so if you don't want to use what you quoted as a point , then don't , or either add some statement to it.

2. (Warning : bad english) For example you have to make 100 character with different names. Would you make 10 triggers and then 1 by 1 search for the trigger action , search for player.....
OR
Just simply , 1 trigger above his head that changes his nickname. Copy and paste then afterwards change the nickname.Like literally the only thing you have to do 90% of the time is to keep changing names.
So hence?It may seem like the WORST idea ever but yet it is a time saver option.So does it really not make any sense?

3. Sure if it really complicated to change a nickname just by a trigger action , then I would totally agree with this one.But then again Eric Gurt have just legit allow us to change a character's nickname indirectly and most importantly , easily. Its just 1 trigger , 1 trigger action and 1 timer away. Don't tell me your THAT lazy.(Even though you have 1k nicknames to change , copy and paste!Read "2." if it doesn't make sense.)

4. What...?Anyway true defination of junk triggers : Whole lot of triggers that are literally place all over the place and do different actions.Not some triggers that are placed organizely and doing the same trigger action

5. Seriously dude , sometimes you just have to try to make a really complicated map and try different styles , ETC to finish up that map as quickly as possible.(Maybe you going to say you don't understand this , so tell someone to translate it for you if you don't.)

Anyway , thanks for reading my comment.

Note : The forum isn't for flame war , so if you want to counter back this one try not to go too offensive.

JDeck

Postby Buzzard 1 » 20 December 2015, 23:01

It is already possible, however, it is still a good idea to make an easier alternative to use name changing instead of utilizing triggers and timers.
Buzzard 1
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Konquer » 23 December 2015, 19:11

Did anyone saying "It's already possible" have readen my idea fully? I know it's possible , but it would be easier without all this triggers.
http://prntscr.com/9je7ii Forum Takeover
http://prntscr.com/9w48i6 comeback
http://prntscr.com/bnnrqa Simple kill
Konquer
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Tempus » 23 December 2015, 20:48

I don't see why not. I think its better to have something simple rather then something a little more complicated. Because not everyone knows how to do it.
Tempus
Advisor

Postby tehswordninja » 23 December 2015, 21:24

This would be really helpful, considering I have a lot of single player maps that use triggers and named characters.
All those triggers really add up.
who needs a PB2.5 release date, anyways?
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Return to Level Editor