Grenade Inventory System

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Grenade Inventory System

Postby alj99 » 15 March 2023, 06:24

This stuff is meant to tackle the issue of large grenade variety in pb3. Since we can't have dedicated slot for each type of nade, i made this concept.

https://youtu.be/EeSaTzP0d2c
Map Id: alj99-nade_inven

Grenades can be placed in any part of the grenade slot. Four columns, six rows.
Press I to open full inventory. Thisis quite buggy atm, some blank shots for idk what reason but again, this is just concept work.

I didn't add any function to move any of the grenade to one slot to another, but that's kinda of an obvious QoL feature.
Hello.
alj99
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: Grenade Inventory System

Postby alj99 » 15 March 2023, 06:25

Anyways, what do u guys think of this concept?
Hello.
alj99

Postby Eric Gurt » 16 March 2023, 12:22

I kind of thinking about gamepad-only players too for PB2.5/3, at least for campaign/ranked multiplayer levels. It means having less keys and simplicity should be better. It doesn't mean that Custom maps will have restrictions as for which keys can be assigned to in-game trigger logic though.

So far players can scroll current grenade kind with F and H keys, throw with G. But I'm still not sure if campaign will let players use all grenade kinds at any moment. Not sure if Z and C keys will be available for grenades too as it could be good to standardize Multiplayer and Singleplayer controls as well as eliminate any else differences between them.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby alj99 » 17 March 2023, 11:43

I feel like i don't swing with a scrolling grenade ui at all. For pc at least.
I only tried gamepags a few times in my life tho and it's kind of clear that it's a different experience for my hands. So i have to say, you shouldn't compromise to fit both. If anything, why not both? Both is good. :v

Before talking further, i'll go with the assumption that the nade limit is under the total nade count.
Another thing is that any assumptions for amount of grenade variety probably shouldn't be considered to any limited value.

Anyways, to scrolling grenade ui itself. Like i said, i don't quite like it but this is my opinion. Another person I talked with prefers to try both first.
Imagine pressing two keys at a moment's notice during a fast paced pvp for example. I think people can get used to this, people are combo-shooting in pb2.
There's also the potential issue of scrolling from far too many nades. 3 is very reasonable 5 will take two presses to scroll through, and just run a permutation math function for any higher number then floor it.

That said, not like my system is not without flaws either.
For the inventory system to work, it needs an allocation system:
A nade which you picked up will be:
- allocated to a column that contains that same nade;
- if not possible, prefer empty columns;
- if that's also not possible, then place it any space available
I also talked with another people and he did say he would like to try both. And a sort button would be nice for the inventory system i proposed.

At any rate it can still eventually a cap and overflow to other columns if we pick up a lot of nades. For people that like to keep things organised for whatever reason (like me :b) will manually sort it, i can see that being annoying for gamepads but some ppl play minecraft with a gamepad idk. :v
That or a sort button like he said earlier.
For manual sorting, in pc i'd say just a drag and drop will work. Select to and fro for gamepad.

Manually dealing with the inventory either on the gameplay ui like in the vid or a full inventory screen (whichever works, but if we did have inventory screen might as well show guns in inventory with descriptions on hover).
Though, i think most of the time, this is the better one if we rarely pick up nades since the sorting remains consistent.
I did use four columns in my vid since that seems to be the amount that works nicely i think, but my key choices g, h, b, and n are clearly not the best i suppose. But i'm inclined to think the keybinds themselves doesn't matter as much if we can change it, but the amount of keys for grenade does; 1 more isn't much of a stretch but i digress.
The biggest strength in this idea is the flexibility. Different types of nade can be on the same column if it needs to be.

I'm also considering making another forum post regarding changing keybinds in s ettings and triggers for detecting action inputs. It's probably important since you're also considering gamepad support and map makers shouldn't rely on keyboard key binds imo.
Hello.
alj99

Postby Eric Gurt » 19 March 2023, 14:44

PB2.5/3 does have keybinds settings. To be honest I don't even think all ~9 grenade kinds will be used at the same time or within same map. I do feel like there could even be a hard limit of 3 grenade kinds per player, then scrolling won't even be needed.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby alj99 » 20 March 2023, 03:32

Ok, i do not want a hard limit at all.
Hello.