Custom sound effects

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Custom sound effects

Postby Stamtish » 16 November 2020, 14:49

Greetings!
I have asked Eric related to having custom sound effects, and he replied with this :

"Possible technically, not sure about originality. I'd not like game to have sounds extracted from other games."

So what if there were sound effect triggers, where we would define a certain variable's value (similar to the text to speech variables) as customization for sounds, and apply that to weapon's gunsound?
Maybe we can customize any of the in-game sound effects, their pitch, their length, volume and or mix them with other sounds?
Keep your Friends close, But Keep your Enemies closer... -Blade
Stamtish
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: Custom sound effects

Postby Stryde » 16 November 2020, 15:03

I agree with Eric and his concerns of people just using sounds from other games (people constantly submit workshop decorations from other game and it's just as annoying). This will always be the problem since not many people actually make good decorations for the workshop, so I highly doubt people will make good custom sound effects (which is probably more difficult to make).

There are ways to define a weapon's sound value, but its limited to the PB2 sound library. I do agree that manipulating the pitch, volume length, etc, would be nice for sound effects ingame, but I imagine that majority of people won't utilize this properly and just make the most obnoxious sounds in their maps.

I think something like this, if it was to happen (honestly I'd rather not have it happen), should be developed over time and not included in game release. Maybe if anything, sounds are added similarly to the fanart updates for content, that may be the best alternative.

Stryde

Postby Stamtish » 16 November 2020, 15:11

I see, it indeed can be a problem. I had not thought of it like that.

I still would appreciate variety in sound effects, Which is the reason why I have suggested this. I would imagine there would be new sound effects, So I hope they are good enough for our purposes.
Keep your Friends close, But Keep your Enemies closer... -Blade
Stamtish
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Stryde » 16 November 2020, 15:20

Games typically plan content way in advance, so if there were just additional sounds in the sound library not used, that could also be another way to sort of "navigate this"

Yes, I imagine if gun models and player models are receiving minor updates, I assume gun sounds will be updated too. In fact, a few guns have received updated sounds in PB2, so I wouldn't expect any different in PB3. Not to mention, the sound library is still on Eric's to do list but its at 85%.

Stryde

Postby xElijah » 16 November 2020, 16:03

Triggers that change sound pitch and length is a good idea. Maybe even combine one sound with another to create a unique third one. Would be good for custom guns.
xElijah
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Return to Feedback and Insights