Ranks should be based on percentages

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Ranks should be based on percentages

Postby Dark Reaver » 17 July 2016, 20:10

It would make much more sense. 90% of the PB2 player base (this was always the case) is running around with Advanced Marine ranks which is kinda stupid considering there's also a Marine rank right below it.

Imagine that the U.S. army had more Corporals than Privates, because that's the case in this game. So, the solution would be ranking players based on their performance compared to the other players. There's it:

Advanced Pacifist: Worst 100 players, most of them would belong there by dying on purpose
Pacifist: Worst 0.5% of the playerbase. Still an achievement

Newbie: New players with less than 30 kills or deaths.
Marine: The lowest 44.5% right after the Pacifists (99.5%-55%). Average players.

Advanced Marine: 25% of the players right between Professionals and Marines (55%-30%). Strong average.
Professional: 12.5% of the players between Elimination Masters and Advanced Marines (30%-17.5%). Above average.

Elimination Master: 7.5% of the players between Race Rescuers and Professionals (12.5%-5%). Good players would belong here.
Race Rescuer: 3% of the players between players ranked PROmoted and Elimination Masters (5%-2%). Very good players.

PROmoted: 2.1% of the players right after Race Rescuers (3%-0.9%). Excellent players.
Elite Commander (or some random title): 0.899% of all players (0.9%-0.001%). Some of the best players.

Honourable Warrior of Plazma Burst 2.5: Players in the top 100 who aren't in the best 20.
Legendary Warrior of Plazma Burst 2.5: Top 20 with the exception of the Silver, Gold and Diamond Legends

-----

Of course, there might be more ranks in PB2.5 but this approach is far more logical than using only a player's kda.
These ranks would be based on Player Points, of course.
Dark Reaver
Civil Security Lite [100]

Re: Ranks should be based on percentages

Postby Star Fox McCloud » 17 July 2016, 23:07

you really want worthless pp to come back LOL

Star Fox McCloud
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby Scrams » 18 July 2016, 00:01

Dark Reaver wrote:It would make much more sense. 90% of the PB2 player base (this was always the case) is running around with Advanced Marine ranks which is kinda stupid considering there's also a Marine rank right below it.
Imagine that the U.S. army had more Corporals than Privates, because that's the case in this game. So, the solution would be ranking players based on their performance compared to the other players

Or an easier solution is to change the ranks up to suit the Noob, Average player and Pro easily. I don't think they need to bring in another system because clearly PP has shown they aren't really good at making such systems.

Dark Reaver wrote:These ranks would be based on Player Points, of course.

Thinking silly here about basing it off Player Points. Such a small amount play ranked its a joke and its such an unfair advantage towards the newbies who want to become pro they have to at least wait month+ to get into top 100 and they would have to be decent.

On your topic as a whole I think you brought up the issue that ranks need a bit of changing.

Scrams

Postby Dark Reaver » 18 July 2016, 08:45

Star Fox McCloud wrote:you really want worthless pp to come back LOL

That could be fixed easily. How? Change the damned formula
Scrams wrote:

Dark Reaver wrote:These ranks would be based on Player Points, of course.

Thinking silly here about basing it off Player Points. Such a small amount play ranked its a joke and its such an unfair advantage towards the newbies who want to become pro they have to at least wait month+ to get into top 100 and they would have to be decent.

On your topic as a whole I think you brought up the issue that ranks need a bit of changing.

This thread is for PB2.5, which hopefully will have more ranked players
Dark Reaver

Postby ustopable » 18 July 2016, 11:47

Would this attracts more "Quit after dying once" or "Quit if getting killed" things today?
What if those on top are targetting those on below average rank to farm and raise their performance?
What is exactly performance? We could only base on kills and deaths but what is exactly is this? Would farming the newbies will raise this?
What if a newbie got his first 45 deaths with 31 kills would we call him a pacifist instead of a newbie?
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Dark Reaver » 18 July 2016, 12:16

Good questions!

1) Those things were already there, but I don't see what's wrong with that. Can you explain it?
2) Player Points were intended to fix that issue but it wasn't the best solution; as I said, it could be fixed with an other formula.

3) Performance would mean a player's efficiency compared to other players here. And you're wrong. We could base it on kills and deaths, right, but the killed person's rank would still matter.

As I said, Eric implemented PP because it was unfair to target newbies but it turned out to be disadvantageous for more skilled players. I experienced it on myself... Kill 6 new players in a ranked match? You gain 5 LP. Die once to one of them? Lose 9.

So, yeah, 'farming the newbs' would still raise it, but 'farming the pros' would raise it even more if you're at a certain rank.

4) I bet you can't imagine how bad one should be to be in the worst 0.5%. Look at an average secondary school with 800 students. (800 / 100) * 0.5 = 4.
You can see 4 is very small number compared to the initial 800; and let's say those four people are the dumbest students in that school. The average student would be ranked somewhere between 200 and 600 for the sake of argument and as this little... illustration shows, you have to be especially bad compared to the average to belong to that category.

So, 31 kills with 45 deaths is pretty average (0.69 Kdr with not so many kills) and saying that it's in the worst 0.5% is silly. And we could always change it (the requirements to be Pacifist) to 0.3% or 0.2%
Dark Reaver

Postby ustopable » 18 July 2016, 13:06

1. The point is if the newbies found a way to kill the pros the pros would just simply quit then join another match.
2. Why was the Player Point not the best Solution?
3. Why not depending on how how high is the difference between the player points it would become more helpful than person's rank since Marine-Advance Marine would simply for each other with a little advantage or disadvantage since there is a much larger portion of a Marine and Advanced Marine player base than the others

Then why is it a disadvantage? It makes so much sense to me since if a pro kills a noob then it does not change the pro skill in every way other than knowing the map more but if a noob kills a pro we could simply say he got lucky or he gained a skills in fighting the pro player over and over again.

4. and there are about 1 million accounts including smurfs, inaactive and alts so there will be 3000 players- 2000 players
What if a player which doesn't even join a single ranked match would they be considered those in the 3000 players- 2000 players and that makes those unranked players feel bad since they don't even join a single ranked match?

That's make a question What if some player have the same performance points and that performance points is between Marine and Advanced Marine would they become Marine?
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Dark Reaver » 18 July 2016, 13:23

1) And I don't see a problem with that. The so-called pros lose anyway. They'll have a lower PP. And if they decide to stay, they can 1) make it even worse 2) compensate it with kills.

Remember that if someone does it 6 times a day he'll lose a relatively huge amount of PP overall

2) Because a single death was very punishing for good players and killing new players was anything but rewarding. As I said, kill 6 newbs and gain 5PP then die once and lose 9. Speaking of which, it was always hard to find someone with similar amount of PP.

3) I don't completely understand you but yeah, it would be based on PP, not on ranks. I sometimes use the two words interchangeably.

4) Nope, there won't. Most of those don't even play ranked so they would be Newbies, which wouldn't count in those statistics. Pacifist would be awarded to people who actually play ranked matches. For every 200 ranked players there would be one Pacifist.

How does one become a Marine if he was an Advanced Marine?

Playing badly; losing too much PP

Anything else?
Dark Reaver

Postby ustopable » 19 July 2016, 11:21

1. Soo quiting while dying to earn 1 death and lose some points while denying the 1 point of kills and some portion of pp for the newbie is allowed?
2. How exactly will kills compensate it? Kills will be added to performance points? It would still make unranked players gain some footing in ranked match.
4. In other words players that don't play ranked match can't gain a rank? So in other words there is no actual point to go to unranked match other than practice and gain kills? Does it mean as long as they don't play a single ranked match they would be considered as New?

Did I made a question about changing from advanced marine to marine? I made a question about same performance points between 2 ranks would they actually go up or go down.

Using Pacifist as a rank for lower rankers is actually bad since these player could earn some kills yet they are called opposition against war. Pacifist and Advanced Pacifist should be limited to those who earn full amount of death with no kills in other words totally make it a kdr exclusive like immortal.

Newbie should become a baseline for new players and players who actually learned basics should be called a PB2 Cadet

In other ways using performance to compare then give them rank using those is actually bad. Achieving requirements, achieving certain level of performance and get promoted for doing an excellent job. If the system is reading that he isn't doing an excellent job in his rank get demoted later.
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Dark Reaver » 19 July 2016, 14:14

1) Yeah, it's allowed and completely fine. It seems you've completely ignored my response.

2) Again, did you read what I said?

ProDude82 gets killed by PeskyNewb06

ProDude82 kills AverageJoe1
ProDude82 kills AverageJoe2
ProDude82 kills AverageJoe3
ProDude82 kills PeskyNewb06

That should be enough compensation for the death caused by the newbie

3) Makes sense to me. You're alone if you think playing Max Teabag-gunshop should grant you kills.

4) Same performance points between 2 ranks? Please. You don't use integers.
Do you think 2 players will have exactly 32,13589673685 PP? And that they'll be on the 'border' of those two ranks

5) Define learning the basics.

6) You just contradicted yourself. Good job

Your only valid point is the one about getting Pacifist rank. The others, not so much
Dark Reaver

Postby ustopable » 20 July 2016, 12:50

1. That is the main point Newbies still have no skill against a pro then turns out pro will just farm newbies everyday
2. And Max Teabag Gunshop is an Approved Map? The answer is No and Max Teabag Gunshop is considered a Custom Map so it will never join the ranks of the unranked. Unranked match have a variety of Approved Maps that only records kill and death. There is a difference between Custom and Unranked
3. Do you think PP will go 32,1358973685 and will never get rounded of to the nearest tenth decimal. Another question would a player earn 0.0000000001 PP.
4. You could define basic by yourself
5. There is a difference between comparing to achieving.
Example to Comparing to pp
Lets say my pp is 5.87
Me: Oh my gawd I earned the Rank Elimination Master I surpassed 91% of people ^_^ I would reward myself for a rest
After 1 Hour
Me: WTH My rank is Professional again because he got 5.98 pp imma hunt that PERSON

Example to Achieving a certain pp
Me: Yes I got 5 pp and as long as I stay 5 pp and above My rank is Elimination Master
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Pvt Gas » 20 July 2016, 14:32

I don't like your rankings so... :nope: nope.
Pvt Gas
Recruit

Postby Dark Reaver » 20 July 2016, 14:58

ustopable wrote:Long text

1) That 'strategy' is ineffective. You want to say that pros should stay after 1 death? So they shouldn't be able to quit?
Pointless.

2) Maybe unranked would count too. I always hated the new ranked-unranked system so I wouldn't mind if only ranked could exist (like around 2012-ish, when there were only approved and custom matches)

3) It wouldn't display all the digits man. Common sense. It would display 32.35 instead of 32.3567563456.

4) Of course, basic means being able to shoot and move. So I still don't get your point.

5) Ranks should reflect your skills compared to other players. If you were good but became sh*t, then you are sh*t and not the other way around.

The situation you described above is highly unlikely; becoming suddenly worse than 3% of players who were below you is not as easy as you think. The hunting part is silly, as you'd need 30k people to surpass you. Not a single one.

And if you're bad enough to become worse than 30.000 players in an hour, then you didn't deserve the title.
Dark Reaver

Postby lee06400 » 20 July 2016, 15:16

It would be a good idea, just need some changes on the percentages, making higher rank a bit less selective and it would be perfect
lee06400
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Star Fox McCloud » 20 July 2016, 19:02

Make it depend on kills and bam, simple.

Star Fox McCloud
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby maxim12 » 21 July 2016, 00:04

I'n my opinion, Eric should get rid of those ranks and PP points away from the Plazma burst frachise. They only encourage more tryhards.

Didn't we all forget why we're playing plazma burst? For fun, right? :nope:

maxim12
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby ustopable » 21 July 2016, 10:20

1. My point 1 hits your second point if you didn't read it since you made your point 1 clear

2. It brings a different topic at this point. Unranked is made for starter players but unlike other games which includes Ranked Match this is one of those who I could say doesn't need anything to unlock ranked match except for creating an account. Sometimes getting used to other players in unrank is better yet you need to be average- above average to excel in ranked or else get farmed. It also happens in unranked except that it happens if there are no players in ranked (always happens).

Yeah the points still stands why there is unranked match? It only allows you to edit ping limit, play with guest and earn kill and deaths yet ranked is there wherein its already unlocked from the start, guest free but with a fixed ping limit which makes it unplayable for some or half of the players. We could have bot matches instead toot toot toot toot pew pew pew bratatattat well they don't act like humans but they're not toxic ideal for practice battles and learning about the basics of Arena battles, Maps structure and ideal weapon used in each part of the map.

Oh yeah I heard Eric is making actual multiplayer bot matches. I wouldn't mind if unranked is also there to allow us to play with a human player and ranked if you think you're no longer a fodder for the pros

3. Err are we still using player points or a different kind of points its a good time to introduce a change for pp right now.

4. Now you get it allow them to finish some levels of campaign or get a decent 30 kills then get promoted to Cadet. Now instead of a Pacifist, Cadet will become the bottom line instead of being called a Advanced Pacifist and Pacifist.

5. Im talking about being the 30000th player in the race rescuer rank ranking and if a single player just gets a little advantage and you will become the 30001st player in the race rescuer rank ranking making you the 1st player in the Elimination Master Rank Ranking, its not like getting to Race Rescuer will make you become the best Race Rescuer Ranker changing you to 1st place Race Rescuer in your first time.

Please don't touch the beloved k\dr Rank if you're going to make it leaderboard position based ranking make it a leaderboard rank instead then completely change all rank titles to actual ranking which features a rank that is totally exclusive to leaderboard position. We could have 3 ranks and 4 if we will include your clanr rank
1.K\dr Rank
2.Leaderboard Rank
3.Level Developer Rank
4.Clan Rank
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Dark Reaver » 22 July 2016, 13:10

1) Lol nope. Dying is not advantageous for anyone.

2) Sure

3) Maybe

4) Pointless. Any r3tard can finish some levels in the campaign. Doesn't change much how you call them.

5) That should happen.

Topic locked. This doesn't promote any kind of discussion anymore.

@ustopable, PM me if you want to continue this little argument
Dark Reaver

Return to Feedback and Insights