My take on a Realwar map

Multiplayer Maps here.

My take on a Realwar map

Postby ditzy » 16 September 2018, 20:09

Map name: Realwar but like theres elevation
Map ID: ditzy-rw
Map description: I tried to remake x death-realwar but ended up with this.
Map Page Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=ditzy-rw
Map Demo Link: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=ditzy-rw

Since the recent x death/map-realwar fiasco, I've been trying to create a better map than the ones we currently have. As stated in the title, this version of realwar has much more difference in elevation, which should prevent people from spamming halfway across the map.

I acknowledge that Hikarikaze has her own rendition of realwar, and this is nothing more than how I would imagine a realwar map to be.

[ What's new? ]

Firstly, the a e s t h e t i c s are more true to the original map. Hikarikaze's map is great, but I always felt uncomfortable with the map being all dark panel.

Elevation/Lanes
Spoiler: Show More
There is more elevation in this redesign, preventing players from spraying across the map. The map is still pretty straightforward, with one main lane that occasionally separates into 2 sub-lanes. The centre of the map has limited cover but is still much of a no-man's land.

2 grenade launchers are present in the map, allowing players to lob grenades over the hills and hit enemies entrenched behind them.

Towers
This war does not reward squatters.

The main issue this map tried to address were the towers. The towers were redesigned to offer some limited protection to discourage players from always camping in them. They are easier to face for teams that are on the offensive.
1. This floor is the most protected with the worst vantage point. Useful for laying down covering fire, but not much else.
2. This floor has a greater vantage point with more exposure.
3. It is the least protected area and utilizing this level would be a gamble. In the original realwar, this floor was the most frustrating as it was extremely difficult to dislodge players that camped on them. This redesigned tower should remove that issue.

The tower is exposed at the back, making it easier for enemies to attack it from the rear.

Teleports
The teleporters are back! This is to allow teams/players to outflank an enemy and surround them. In Coop, they are enabled after 1 minute and 30 seconds have elapsed. In all other modes, they are enabled as soon as the match starts. The delay in Coop allows teams to set up and dig themselves in or push for the middle ground without having to worry about the enemy team coming up behind them. The teleporters are more of a sudden death feature, to prevent stalemates caused by camping.

Weapon Loadouts
Starting weapons
x16
- Assault Rifle CS-RC
- Pistol CS-Pro
- Defibrillator

Scattered weapons
x6 - Sniper Rifle CS-YippeKiYay
x2 - Grenade Launcher CS-SpamThemBaby

The weapon loadouts are similar to the ones used in the original realwar.
CS-RCs are fairly inaccurate and harder to spray over long distances.

Grenade Launchers were added to help with countering enemies hiding behind hills or walls. To prevent spam, grenade launchers had their speed reduced to 60%(0.6) of their original speed.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: My take on a Realwar map

Postby Hikarikaze » 16 September 2018, 20:36

It's much better than my take, that's for sure. Though I'm not sure if this would have the same recognizable feel as the original. The aesthetics help, but the design might turn a few people off because it doesn't look like the original realwar enough and it's not as simple as the original design-wise. Solving the obvious problems like spamming is easy but doing that while maintaining the same feel and atmosphere of realwar is the overall real challenge with the map

Problem is that in order to fix the map, that classic realwar vibe needs to be sacrificed so there's no way around it. I personally prefer this version over my own though (come on, my version can't be that good) so there's that
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ditzy » 16 September 2018, 21:11

Maintaining a balance between the simplicity of the original realwar while keeping it from being a spamfest is quite a challenge. I tried to implement as many key features of original map as I could, but I'll admit that I did fail in keeping the simplicity and feel of the original. The map was just going to be a copy of x death-realwar but with some areas moved up and down, but Phsc pointed out that one-lane maps are always problematic.

I do quite like the way you designed your version. The constant use of dark panel did bug me a bit, but the overall shape of the map is satisfying to look at (Actually reminds me of how Hexwar is set up, now that I think about it). I don't think either of our maps achieve the "true" realwar feel, but I think your map is pretty good otherwise.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby Hikarikaze » 16 September 2018, 21:23

ditzy wrote:I do quite like the way you designed your version. The constant use of dark panel did bug me a bit, but the overall shape of the map is satisfying to look at (Actually reminds me of how Hexwar is set up, now that I think about it). I don't think either of our maps achieve the "true" realwar feel, but I think your map is pretty good otherwise.

Agreed. Maybe our maps achieve the feeling of an actual war but not the feeling of realwar itself, which is a weird thing to say since that was the point of realwar in the first place.

I honestly don't think my version is good or spectacular in any sort of way so I'll disagree with you on it being good. All I really did was add a tunnel and some structures in the water which anyone can do just as easily so it doesn't seem right being praised for it. I'd make a better version but I wouldn't be able to call it a realwar map then

The dark panel thing is purely a preference. It's the only type of wall that looks appealing and good to me
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Kiriakos Gr96 » 16 September 2018, 21:44

I played the map yesterday.The map looks good i have to say and i agree that the aesthetics of the map remind that to the original real war but the game play is much different now based on the original realwar.I think the teleports should have higher cooldown like 7 or 8 seconds also since the teleports are activated there is no need for that text at the start of the round to appear also an indicator would be nice to placed to know if the teleport is active or not.
Kiriakos Gr96
Administrator

Postby ditzy » 16 September 2018, 22:11

KIRIAKOS GR96 wrote:I think the teleports should have higher cooldown like 7 or 8 seconds also since the teleports are activated there is no need for that text at the start of the round to appear also an indicator would be nice to placed to know if the teleport is active or not.

Hm. Alright. Current cooldown is 3 seconds but I guess I could raise it to 6. Glad you brought up the teleporters, actually. LoneWolf56 just notified me that the teleport glitch still exists in this map, so I'll have to remake them.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby Eric Gurt » 16 September 2018, 22:14

I think I did patch teleport glitch few seconds ago (in game logic, not map). Needs further tests though.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Return to Multiplayer Maps