[Large, Coop/TDM] Dissonance

Multiplayer Maps here.

[Large, Coop/TDM] Dissonance

Postby Evanator » 2 October 2017, 16:41

Map name: Dissonance
ID: evanator-dissonance
Description:

This map is my second attempt at making a large map for many players (preferably ten or more).
There's a blue base, red base, and a neutral base in between.
Starting weapons are the basic pistol, assault rifle, defibrillator, and lite railgun. Shotguns are strewn across the world.

My biggest concern is that there are too many hazards around the map, but I want to see what you fine people have to say about it.
Evanator
Recruit

Re: [Large, Coop/TDM] Dissonance

Postby Krutz » 6 October 2017, 18:25

there is just too much in this map; 16 players + staircases that each go up to 20 walls just make the map incredibly laggy (which is the game's fault, or to a lesser extent, the user's browser's fault). you cant simply leave it to the user and say "make sure your PC can handle it properly" when the game itself is at fault way more often than whoever's "PC"

i see in the level editor that your wallwork is pretty poor: youre overlapping adjacent walls by a couple pixels at best and you have quite a few redundant walls

i think you need to tone down the number of walls significantly and you need to overlap your walls more. you should also realize that if you do want to create a map with "bumpy terrain" or staircases as you have in the map, you are making the map more and more difficult to run

Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Evanator » 11 October 2017, 15:27

I see...

To be honest, I didn't understand that a large amount of walls presented such a performance loss. I'll try to reduce the amount, and see how it performs after that.

Speaking of poor performance, how else can I make sure that the map isn't too laggy, besides wall count?
Evanator
Recruit

Postby Starwars7 » 12 October 2017, 22:48

Evanator wrote:Speaking of poor performance, how else can I make sure that the map isn't too laggy, besides wall count?

This stuff is just general lag-fixing suggestions, and not all of these will apply to that map in particular.

You could set "shadowmap size" to a really high number (in the thousands maybe) via an engine mark so that the game doesn't have to load the shadows. Advanced trigger functions and massive explosions don't do any good for the performance. I don't know if snow really has an impact, but I personally only use it in small maps like my deathmatch map Bloodstains. Lights are really laggy if used in excess with flares on, so in larger maps, set the "has flare" setting of all lamps to "no."

Whatever you do, don't clone a character with triggers. I learned that the hard way with a now-unpublished, awful, glitchy map called "Zombies." I tested it in multiplayer and my ping jumped to over 5,000. My mouse took 3 minutes to get to the End Game button. Use absolutely no clones in multiplayer.
Ever had one of those days where everyone you meet in ranked likes you?

Yeah, me neither.

Starwars7
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Krutz » 13 October 2017, 03:52

use as few as everything as possible, and thatll mostly apply to walls

if your map is a typical 4v4 without anything "sketchy" (say modded guns, fake water, abstract wall structures, etc.), even if the map is rather large (maybe 7000 pixels long) and youve optimized your wall arrangements, there shouldnt be many problems with performance

a high number of guns (likely the most common of the following culprits), barrels, lights, character models, and doors all contribute

generally, 8v8 maps are bound to be poor in terms of performance, so unfortunately, those maps should be avoided

Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Return to Multiplayer Maps