Battlefield Usurpation

Singleplayer Maps here.

Battlefield Usurpation

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 9 April 2020, 00:29

Battlefield Usurpation
ID: phant0mb0nnie-bfintro
Map page: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... ie-bfintro
Instant demo (just add bullets): https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=p ... ie-bfintro
Difficulties:
Easy - is easy
Normal - is somewhat challenging
Hard - enemies get big brain, and bang bang (bang, bang) you ded.
Impossible - Don't use it, because it's funky on custom maps.

FINISHED!!!
Sequel in progress!

Latest mission: FINALE
Level(s):

Not so brief briefing:
The story takes place just prior to and during the Usurpation invasion, and tells the efforts of Team Raven in defending Earth.
Team Raven is an elite UN special operations forces team put together to eliminate the worlds most dangerous terrorist organizations. They are:

Hatcher: The Rifleman and team leader. He has: M4A1, Shotgun CS-Daz, and M320 HE underbarrel grenade launcher (slot 5), and Pistol CS-Pro.
Hyde: The Marksman. He has M4A1, Pistol CS-Pro, and Sniper Rifle CS YippeeKayay.
Stryker: The Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Equipped with M4A1, RPG - 7v2, and Pistol CS-Pro.
Sleet: The Automatic Rifleman. Equipped with LMG-01 and Glock 17.

Some actions you can perform:
Crouching will allow the character you are currently playing as to take point. Uncrouch to trigger formation.
Switch to slot 0 and click anywhere to spot. Your teammates will look at your crosshairs and form a protective wall in front of you.
Pointing your weapon at an idle teammate will make them crouch. They will uncrouch when you look away.
Don't rush into firefights.

General tips:
Use the environment and the element of surprise to your advantage, and prioritize targets. Take cover and retreat if necessary, take control of characters who are at low health to get them to safety.
Remember, if one of the squad members gets killed, then the mission fails.
When engaging in battle, use the covering fire of teammates to push up and attack targets directly.
Different squad members specialize in different areas of combat.*

Hatcher is very versatile, being good for long, mid, and close quarters combat, and can even shoot small explosives. He specializes in sorting things out up close.
Hyde is the marksman. He can handle himself at close range, but his specialized sniper rifle allows him to engage and eliminate targets beyond the screen. The light on the side of the gun will flash a dark green if aiming at a hostile. Use his precision to prioritize which targets are the most threatening, and take them out regardless of their location. Use covers to recover and reload.
Stryker is the EOD (aka the worst job in the military, but don't tell him that). His RPG, which he apparently stole off of a dead terrorist (the MPs still don't suspect a thing), is very powerful, but also slow and inaccurate. Maintain the right distance to be able to hit enemies accurately while avoiding harming yourself. Stryker specializes in destroying groups of enemies, enemies with high health, vehicles, and fortified positions.
Sleet is the last member of the squad, but by no means the least important. He carries only two weapons, but he uses them to great effect. Specializing in crowd control, Sleet can shoot forever, and while not the most powerful, he can single handedly keep multitudes of enemies at bay and give allies enough time to regroup and counterattack.
Such long text.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

*Different characters may be used throughout the game. All four characters are not guaranteed to be present at once, and loadouts may vary from time to time, so adapt to the situation and to what you've been given.
Last edited by Phant0mB0nnie on 20 October 2020, 18:34, edited 20 times in total.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Re: Battlefield Usurpation

Postby wolf653 » 15 April 2020, 20:01

yeah the map is too easy and the corvette level was just "haha autocannon go brrr" with you just spamming it constantly with your 5000 HP giving no care in the world, also notably you can just let the AI do the work they won't die only you will. basically it needs to be made more interesting also the idea of having a ally die and losing cause of that adds resetting cause the ai was a idiot defibs exist you know! and shooting without command failure is also unneeded
you know i began to realize why youtubers beg for likes and shit its cause people forget to rate otherwise like come on how many people can have under 100 kills!
wolf653
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 15 April 2020, 21:37

Removed the shooting without command failure. As for defibs, I'm aware of their existence, but I'm not going through 20+ levels just to implement the feature. They'll be present in the last level if it makes you feel any better.
Anyways, I constantly tweak the maps, so I'll make the Corvette level harder.
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 22 April 2020, 20:12

wolf653 wrote:yeah the map is too easy and the corvette level was just "haha autocannon go brrr" with you just spamming it constantly with your 5000 HP giving no care in the world, also notably you can just let the AI do the work they won't die only you will. basically it needs to be made more interesting also the idea of having a ally die and losing cause of that adds resetting cause the ai was a idiot defibs exist you know! and shooting without command failure is also unneeded

Anyways, it sounds like you only played the first few maps. You are right about the difficulty, some of the levels are easy, so I'll look into it. However, I hope you realize that in a Custom Map series that will contain 20 missions upon completion, there will be some difference in difficulty between the first level and the last one.
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 30 May 2020, 17:53

feedback pls
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 2 June 2020, 12:55

First map: Nothing wrong about it as far as my standard goes besides not being able to skip the cutscene by pressing a key and directly going to the next map instead of having to browse your map list or wait for the map to end in order to skip it.

Second map( maybe, I can't tell after browsing the map list at all) : It's a good concept and I like how you made destructive air vehicles and buildings but it has perfomance issues. My suggestion to fix this perfomance issue are numerous

*Reduce the number of enemies (assuming thats the cause and not the decorations or the size of the map overall)
*If the above is done, compensate the balance by making the enemies that remain slighty stronger since they are in smaller numbers than before
*Split the map into 2 parts at least
*Reduce the lenght of the map by removing possible repetitive/unnecesary parts

And I agree with wolf, the Corvette HP is too much, although I understand that there are not much triggers for vehicles in the editor to actually design a vehicle map that has any depht in mechanics and challenge.

And if possible, make it so your character survives when the corvette dies and you can use him for the rest of the map. (this would happen on the second part of the map if the split happens otherwise t here would be an inconsistency where if you end the first part with your vehicle destroyed you'll end with the vehicle fully repaired on the second part; althoght it seems to be possible to add a system that connects triggers from map to map so there may be a workaround like spawning on the second part with the character only or inside the vehicle depending if your vehicle got destroyed or not during the first part)

Third map: Nothing to say about it, it's a good map.

Fourth map: I found it annoying to manually move every member of my squad up on a specific part, put some teleporter that gets activated when you kill the first 5 guys above or something.

Also, the AI changes to pistol instead of using the other weapons most of the time, making them useless. There are 4 options to pick, one may be enough to fix the issue completely:
*Make the pistols as strong as the rest of the weapons the ally characters have.
*Remove pistols.
*Make pistols only able to be holstered but not used if you want to keep them for cosmetic/visual purposes.
*Make the AI not use pistols so often (I doubt that's even possible)

Phant0mB0nnie wrote: As for defibs, I'm aware of their existence, but I'm not going through 20+ levels just to implement the feature.

Well, you should if you care about the quality of your product. Time shouldn't be a limitation in any mindset. I stopped going through the rest of the maps because of this issue, so if you fix it you'll greatly improve your maps. Besides, I don't think it's that time consuming as far as I know, it's just putting the defibs in place, remove the game over triggers related to the characters dying and then putting the new triggers which are not complex.
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 2 June 2020, 18:43

IforgotmypasswordHaHAA wrote:First map: Nothing wrong about it as far as my standard goes besides not being able to skip the cutscene by pressing a key and directly going to the next map instead of having to browse your map list or wait for the map to end in order to skip it.

Second map( maybe, I can't tell after browsing the map list at all) : It's a good concept and I like how you made destructive air vehicles and buildings but it has perfomance issues. My suggestion to fix this perfomance issue are numerous

*Reduce the number of enemies (assuming thats the cause and not the decorations or the size of the map overall)
*If the above is done, compensate the balance by making the enemies that remain slighty stronger since they are in smaller numbers than before
*Split the map into 2 parts at least
*Reduce the lenght of the map by removing possible repetitive/unnecesary parts

And I agree with wolf, the Corvette HP is too much, although I understand that there are not much triggers for vehicles in the editor to actually design a vehicle map that has any depht in mechanics and challenge.

And if possible, make it so your character survives when the corvette dies and you can use him for the rest of the map. (this would happen on the second part of the map if the split happens otherwise t here would be an inconsistency where if you end the first part with your vehicle destroyed you'll end with the vehicle fully repaired on the second part; althoght it seems to be possible to add a system that connects triggers from map to map so there may be a workaround like spawning on the second part with the character only or inside the vehicle depending if your vehicle got destroyed or not during the first part)

Third map: Nothing to say about it, it's a good map.

Fourth map: I found it annoying to manually move every member of my squad up on a specific part, put some teleporter that gets activated when you kill the first 5 guys above or something.

Also, the AI changes to pistol instead of using the other weapons most of the time, making them useless. There are 4 options to pick, one may be enough to fix the issue completely:
*Make the pistols as strong as the rest of the weapons the ally characters have.
*Remove pistols.
*Make pistols only able to be holstered but not used if you want to keep them for cosmetic/visual purposes.
*Make the AI not use pistols so often (I doubt that's even possible)

Phant0mB0nnie wrote: As for defibs, I'm aware of their existence, but I'm not going through 20+ levels just to implement the feature.

Well, you should if you care about the quality of your product. Time shouldn't be a limitation in any mindset. I stopped going through the rest of the maps because of this issue, so if you fix it you'll greatly improve your maps. Besides, I don't think it's that time consuming as far as I know, it's just putting the defibs in place, remove the game over triggers related to the characters dying and then putting the new triggers which are not complex.

For your feedback on the second map: I don't know how bad it is for you, but it's pretty fine on my end. Nonetheless, I will make some edits to improve performance. Also, the corvette is a drone in this instance, not a piloted vehicle. You play as the drone controller. Just to verify. In the dialogue, Romeo (your pilot), says he dispatches a Corvette to help out the team while he refuels.

Fourth map: The upstairs section is meant to be done with only one squad member (if you're wondering I'd pick Stryker b/c of his RPG). Hatcher says "someone's going to have to unlock it" when you reach that part. If you want, you can obviously do as you did and keep the squad together, but I was thinking of one guy from the squad breaking off to clear the floor upstairs, hitting the button, then regrouping with the squad at the back door and exiting. Anyways, I hope that's what you were talking about, because the rest of the map is pretty linear and horizontal.

Defib: There's more to implementing them than what you've said. Now, physically putting them in and changing trigger work is easy (like you said). But then I'd have to change the character models of each character to that of the campaign protagonists (like the marine, Noir, or Proxy), then change their individual body parts back to the skin that I want (with trigger actions). Only that way will it work properly (mission will fail if a character bodybreaks).
In addition to that, I'd have to re calibrate all the levels and their difficulties to compensate for the ability to revive teammates. In other words, I'd have to make them more difficult that way you actually have to worry about a teammate bodybreaking or everyone dying. That means a lot more testing, and a lot of editing. It might sound like I'm making an excuse for this one, and I do regret not adding this earlier on, but now I've got too many maps in this series for me to go back and change virtually every one of them. So, sorry. :( I assure you that all the maps with this mechanic are possible on Normal difficulty. Besides, it's something unique and personally I think it's a matter of preference. Some people will enjoy it, others may not, so I hope you won't mind if I hold back for now.
Anyways, I'm hoping you can still go through some of the other maps despite this, and maybe if I have time I'll go through my 20+ gameplay maps and add this.
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 3 June 2020, 08:00

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:For your feedback on the second map: I don't know how bad it is for you, but it's pretty fine on my end.

I guess my PC is a potato or I used a very demanding graphic setting.

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:Fourth map:

My bad, I tried to read the text ingame but I wasn't able to read the line saying because I got distracted.

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:But then I'd have to change the character models of each character to that of the campaign protagonists (like the marine, Noir, or Proxy), then change their individual body parts back to the skin that I want (with trigger actions). Only that way will it work properly (mission will fail if a character bodybreaks).

This part doesn't seems that much time consuming for me, except the playtesting and balancing of the map of course. You could try implementing what I quoted first and slighty reduce all of the main characters health points as band aid fix and then when you have the time to completely adress the balance issues caused by the map. I'd rather have this band-ai fix and easier unbalanced map than play the missions in the state they are currently now, because it's pretty infuirating losing a mission by a reason external of something related to your perfomance as a player but rather the AI being dumb and going full cawaydooty suicidal and the only way to prevent this is switching characters over and over in order to slowly progress in the mission in an annoying approach, like walking with a stinging thing on your feet.
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 3 June 2020, 14:26

You may be right. Well, still, it'll take time, but now that I've finished the series, I'll have plenty to go back and change it.

EDIT:
So I probably won't end up going back and implementing this into every map. So here's what I think I'll do: First 6 missions probably won't have medic pistols (sorry). Mission 7, 8, and 9 will though. In mission 10 your teammates are kinda meant to die... a lot. I'll think about adding it in Mission 11, because it's actually fairly easy until the end (so then maybe only add it in the end). Mission 12 I'll think about, but probably an affirmative as well. Mission 13 will probably have it. Not 14 though, because it's unique. DEFINITELY not mission 15, because you have like what, 7 people, including you. You're practically untouchable. And if a teammate dies, they're gonna get shredded by the amount of bullets being fired, so it's pointless in my opinion. Mission 16 is N/A, while mission 17 is same story as Mission 15. Missions 18, 19, and 20 are all N/A, and we're done!
Well, this is just a rough plan, and the final product may vary from what I've said here.
And all this time I haven't thanked you for your feedback, so here you go. :thank:
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 6 June 2020, 02:09

Finally finished... now for me to proofread...
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 14 June 2020, 21:28

I'm done making big edits for now, although there may still be some patching up of things. Most of the attention is now focused on the second series, which I hope to be better.
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Girl_Power » 15 June 2020, 21:34

Phant0mB0nnie, use the edit button next time if possible to avoid double and triple posting.

Anyway great map! I had lots of fun playing your map! Keep up the great work!
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 15 June 2020, 22:03

My bad. I'll remember that.
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Postby Girl_Power » 15 June 2020, 22:05

Phant0mB0nnie wrote:My bad. I'll remember that.

No worries! :P
Everyone makes mistakes!
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 17 July 2020, 23:11

I know it's been a month, but feel free to check out the second series as well!
Me in my imagination:

Me IRL:
Phant0mB0nnie

Return to Singleplayer Maps