Aggrandization (endless arena)

Singleplayer Maps here.

Aggrandization (endless arena)

Postby mrnat444 » 26 June 2018, 03:04

Map name: Aggrandization (SP)
Map ID: mrnat444-ag

Map page link
Map demo link

This is an endless Wave survival map focused on gameplay, there is currently no story. yes its kinda copying silverteen11-nazizombies The player must survive wave after wave with the enemy slowly becoming stronger, and they can purchase upgrades to match the increasing difficulty.

Gameplay customizations
Spoiler: Show More
There are some aspects of the game which have been modified to better suit the gameplay. These are listed here.

Time warp is modified to instead slow everything down while the player remains unchanged. When time warp is enabled, enemies move, fall and shoot slower than normal (oncoming projectiles are also slowed down). Though as long as time warp (or "bullet time" in this case) is enabled, the player cannot regenerate health and must disable it to regain any lost hitpoints. This also slows down the Wave timer, allowing the player to complete Waves faster.

When the player dies and the run ends, the map takes them to a room where they can view statistics about their run, allowing them to save these stats as a screenshot, and/or start a new run.

Tiers
Waves are broken up into Tiers, a Tier consists of three Waves. After those three Waves, The Tier advances. A number of things happen when the player enters a new Tier, such as enemies becoming stronger, arena pathways changing, and Coin rewards increasing. Most of these effects are subtle, but they have accumulative effects over time.

In a Wave, each enemy the player defeats earns them Coins which are held separately from the player's Coins. When the Wave ends (from the player defeating all enemies), that amount is added to the player's total Coins, where the player can then spend them.

The player can also earn medals for reaching a number of Tiers. Bronze is earned at Tier 10, Silver is earned at Tier 20, Gold is earned at Tier 35, and Platinum is earned at Tier 50.

Enemies
The enemies are named "Henchbots". There are four different Henchbots, each one holds different stats, such as health and damage.

Enemy list
  • Reverberator: High HP, high mobility, swords only (can pick up weapons from fallen allies and deflect projectiles).
  • Gunner: High/medium HP, Normal mobility, medium fire rate, medium damage medium accuracy.
  • Liner: Medium/low HP, normal mobility, low fire rate, high damage, high accuracy.
  • Rattler: Low HP, high/normal mobility, high fire rate, low damage, low accuracy.
Each Tier, enemies will be upgraded through either damage or hitpoints, one of the two is chosen. Other stats can also change, such as a shotgun mode, and projectile types, though these changes are not permanent and can change with every Tier. Enemy cosmetics are also affected, which are modified in subtle ways each Tier (these changes are purely cosmetic and do not affect gameplay).

Coins
Coins are the name of the currency, and used to purchase upgrades. The player can earn Coins by defeating enemies, and completing Waves quickly. Over time, prices and Coin rewards will increase in quantity, lowering their value.

The Coins rewarded from enemies varies, but will gradually increase over time. Coins earned are held until the Wave ends, at which point the Coin time bonus is multiplied (this can be upgraded) and added to the Coins earned, which is also then multiplied (can also be upgraded), and finally added to the player's total Coins.

The Coin time bonus rewards a portion of Coins at the end of each Wave in addition to the Coins earned otherwise. This amount will change depending on how quickly the player completes the Wave, rewarding them for taking more risks in combat.

Upgrades
Upgrades are the key to survival and matching the increasing difficulty. There are a variety of upgrades, all of which have different effects, and are bought using Coins. Each time the player purchases an upgrade, its price will increase by a portion of the cost. Some upgrades are linked, meaning that they will negatively affect similar upgrades by a small amount.

Upgrades list
  • Maximum hitpoint increase [linked]
  • Hitpoint regeneration speed increase [linked]
  • Hitpoint regeneration delay speed decrease [linked]
  • Clone (allows you to respawn)

• Pistol accuracy [linked]
  • Pistol damage [linked]
  • Pistol fire rate [linked]

• Rifle (purchase)
  • Rifle accuracy [linked]
  • Rifle fire rate [linked]
  • Rifle projectile count [linked]

• Shotgun (purchase)
  • Shotgun damage [linked]
  • Shotgun fire rate [linked]
  • Shotgun projectile count [linked]

• Heavy (purchase)
  • Heavy accuracy [linked]
  • Heavy damage [linked]
  • Heavy projectile count [linked]

• Coin time bonus multiplier
  • Earned Coins at the end of each Wave multiplier
  • On-hand Coins multiplier at the end of each Tier
  • Grenades (purchase)

• Mobility (not infinite)
  • Stability frequency (not infinite)
  • Stability power (not infinite)

There is also an area where you can view various statistics concerning the current run.

Potential features
There are two main features I've been on the fence about implementing.

The first one is game saving. This would allow the player to save progress outside of the current game session, so they can come back later and continue their game. This would be quite useful, as you are currently required to leave the game session open for as long as you want that progress to exist. If you close the tab/browser or restart your computer, the progress is lost. Obviously this sounds like a great feature to have, but it comes with some problems. The map isn't exactly built to be saved through a URL, so it would need to be heavily modified in multiple aspects in order to work properly (some things might simply not work at all, which could lead to features being removed). Not to mention that this would easily push the object count over 700, and potentially lead to a lengthy loading time, or worse, framerate drops.

The second, more likely one is Coin transfers. This would in some way allow the player to start a run with more Coins, and acquire upgrades sooner than normal. On one hand, this would allow for a small progress gain after the end of each run, and provide more of an incentive to continue. On the other hand, this could potentially upset the difficulty curve and make the game less than challenging, becoming boring. I have sort of tested this, and I don't think that it becomes all that boring, you're just able to play more freely with less planning.

Something that could work would be to combine these two ideas. Rather than saving every aspect, it just saves how many Coins the player starts with outside of the game session, and they can come back later with some form of progress from the previous session.

I'm eager to hear what people think of the map, and potential ideas for it. if you have any thoughts, ideas or feedback, please share them!
Last edited by mrnat444 on 13 August 2018, 11:30, edited 3 times in total.
mrnat444
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Aggrandization (endless arena)

Postby darkstar 1 » 26 June 2018, 10:56

Very cool map, but the clone button doesn't seem to do anything. I bought the first clone but nothing happened, and then I bought the second one, but still nothing happened. Also, there was one round where my coins went from around 5 to 166.

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby mrnat444 » 26 June 2018, 15:30

darkstar 1 wrote:Very cool map, but the clone button doesn't seem to do anything. I bought the first clone but nothing happened, and then I bought the second one, but still nothing happened. Also, there was one round where my coins went from around 5 to 166.

What do you mean about the clone part? Did it not give you clones, or were you not revived when you died? As currently there is a difficult bug I'm still working out with clones where sometimes the player will not be revived.

As for the coin part, you can be rarely given a large amount of coins from kills. I would assume this is the cause.
mrnat444
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby darkstar 1 » 26 June 2018, 16:38

Oh ok, I thought there were supposed to be clones around you, I should've read the the 'upgrades' in this forum post.

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby mrnat444 » 26 June 2018, 16:52

It was originally supposed to clone the player, but that would conflict with certain upgrades you can purchase, so I changed it to simply reviving the player and kept the 'clone' concept.
mrnat444
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Player_PB2 » 28 June 2018, 09:01

*turns on godmode*
i will not get the score, that's for sure
i somehow managed to play the game with root for the first time
then a few games later i can't, GG
2020 and still laughing at a gray box ██ <---- funniest crap i have ever seen
Player_PB2
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby mrnat444 » 28 June 2018, 23:01

Player_PB2 wrote:*turns on godmode*
i will not get the score, that's for sure
i somehow managed to play the game with root for the first time
then a few games later i can't, GG

Ah yes, that was something I forgot to implement, thanks for the reminder.
mrnat444
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby boom5 » 21 July 2018, 19:21

You don't need a url to save the game right? I use session vars.
Last edited by Kiriakos Gr96 on 23 July 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.” - Patrick Henry
boom5
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby lostmydollar » 22 July 2018, 19:29

fantastic map. good job!

lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby mrnat444 » 28 July 2018, 08:33

boom5 wrote:

You don't need a url to save the game right? I use session vars.

A URL is only if you want to save data outside of the map session, so no.

lostmydollar wrote:fantastic map. good job!

Thanks!
mrnat444
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Lancer21 » 17 August 2018, 17:44

I really dig your map, although I feel stupid because at first I thought that there would be clones around you as well... :sorry:

Lancer21
Recruit

Return to Singleplayer Maps