Death triggers are only called for the dying player

Death triggers are only called for the dying player

Postby jeje52 » 18 January 2020, 18:45

When a player dies, their death trigger will only work for them and no one else, meaning if the death trigger shows a message or does some other action only the dead player will see it.
This causes desync issues and has already broken a few maps, like max teabag-mmo_arena and maps that use similar systems. I'm guessing this bug came with some unannounced update.

Edit:
I made a temporary fix for this bug using trigger mechanics. It should make it so the player's death trigger is called for everyone, instead of just them. I don't guarantee that it will be perfect, so if you use it and run into any bugs, be sure to let me know.

Link to map: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=jeje52-dt

Edit2:
The map is unpublished now, as it seems the bug is fixed at last. Thanks Eric!
Last edited by jeje52 on 1 April 2020, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Re: Death triggers are only called for the dying player

Postby Fordex » 19 January 2020, 14:10

Hmm.. i think its just problem with the map.
EDIT: I tested,that happen only sometimes.

Fordex
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby jeje52 » 19 January 2020, 16:15

Fordex wrote:Hmm.. i think its just problem with the map.

I actually tested it with a brand new map.
I made a death trigger that shows a message in chat, and by switching tabs I saw that only the dead player had the message. It happened every time. It's the only trigger in the map so there's nothing that would interfere with the results.
jeje52

Postby Fordex » 19 January 2020, 16:41

jeje52 wrote:
Fordex wrote:Hmm.. i think its just problem with the map.

I actually tested it with a brand new map.
I made a death trigger that shows a message in chat, and by switching tabs I saw that only the dead player had the message. It happened every time. It's the only trigger in the map so there's nothing that would interfere with the results.

Idk why its arent working,i tryed in multiplayer connect from other browser and called my friend.All worked,in SP can sometimes trigger on death not work.In multiplayer all fine.

Fordex
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby jeje52 » 24 January 2020, 17:06

I made a temporary fix for this bug using trigger mechanics. It should make it so the player's death trigger is called for everyone, instead of just them. I don't guarantee that it will be perfect, so if you use it and run into any bugs, be sure to let me know.

Link to map: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=jeje52-dt
jeje52

Postby Fordex » 25 January 2020, 19:12

All working fine with death triggers.ALL.
Proof is some dude's saw map where's when player die it shows Player 1 (or other number if other player dies) and all see that without hard mechanic.
Sorry for disrespect but your map is useless.

Fordex
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby jeje52 » 25 January 2020, 21:37

Fordex wrote:All working fine with death triggers.ALL.
Proof is some dude's saw map where's when player die it shows Player 1 (or other number if other player dies) and all see that without hard mechanic.
Sorry for disrespect but your map is useless.

Can you tell me the map id?

On my other testing map, I have a trigger system that adds to a variable and shows a message for every kill. It has worked perfectly for a while, and now it doesn't work at all. There is nothing that would cause it to break, proven by the fact that I always saw the same results on an entirely new map. However, the results prove why it wouldn't work, the death trigger is only called for the dead player.

The bug would also fit quite nicely with how in the other map example MMO Arena, Plazma coin, exp, and loot box gain is nonexistent. You can't even see the little hint saying "+3 pc", meaning that it's a problem with the death trigger, not his database or web API.

All is not well in death trigger land, at least according to my testing and multiple broken maps and death triggers.
jeje52

Postby flora- » 11 February 2020, 04:55

Bumping this because the original post is still correct and seems to be inconvenient considering that before, all you'd need to do to make a death trigger only execute for 1 player is to have it be based on slot value, now in order to have it the other way around you'd want to have infinite calls trigger(s) to constantly check how much health players have.

Nonetheless I've made my own open source map to work around this change, the additional notes below are copied from the map description.

https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=969477

1. On-Death triggers will still work normally when applied to AI, which means that this system is completely irrelevant for singleplayer.

2. A player's health can feasibly be put below 1 health and still be alive, though the game will still round this to 1 in the actual health display, which is why I made the "#death*X" trigger only execute it's actions when the player is lower than 0.000000001 (equivalent to 1e-9) health, instead of simply 0. Though it'll still work fine with higher values.

3. Because it catches when a player has 0, or less health, it also considers disconnected players as "dead" since they have their health set to 0.
flora-

Postby jeje52 » 11 February 2020, 13:57

flora- wrote:Bumping this because the original post is still correct and seems to be inconvenient considering that before, all you'd need to do to make a death trigger only execute for 1 player is to have it be based on slot value, now in order to have it the other way around you'd want to have infinite calls trigger(s) to constantly check how much health players have.

Nonetheless I've made my own open source map to work around this change, the additional notes below are copied from the map description.

https://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m= ... &id=969477

1. On-Death triggers will still work normally when applied to AI, which means that this system is completely irrelevant for singleplayer.

2. A player's health can feasibly be put below 1 health and still be alive, though the game will still round this to 1 in the actual health display, which is why I made the "#death*X" trigger only execute it's actions when the player is lower than 0.000000001 (equivalent to 1e-9) health, instead of simply 0. Though it'll still work fine with higher values.

3. Because it catches when a player has 0, or less health, it also considers disconnected players as "dead" since they have their health set to 0.

I'm not sure, but guessing by the way your system works based on hp, it may be bugged.
You know when you kill someone, but sometimes they get revived right after? That means the player never actually died, probably because the hit wasn't registered, but their hp value will still be 0 or less only for your client. It could cause desync issues.

I already knew about this, which is why I made an overly complicated and inconvenient system that instead sends a value from the dead player to avoid having any desync. I still haven't been able to make it work on my own map due to some mysterious bug, but it definitely did work in the testing map. As far as I know, it's probably the most effective solution available unless someone comes up with something else.

Your hp-based system fixes the worst of the bugs, but we're still left with one I reported previously: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=23485
jeje52

Postby ghtmare » 31 March 2020, 17:33

And after experiment the bug DOes exist.
It's really terrible for custom MP map makers.

When A kills B, the door will move.
Spoiler: Show More

When B is dead, in A's screen

and B's screen

So when will it be fixed? It has ruined a lot of old maps, and blocked ideas on new maps.
ghtmare
Recruit

Return to Bug Reporting Archive