Was the PB2 Campaign Fine or Flopped?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Fine or Flopped

Fine
95%
Flopped
5%

Total votes : 40

Was the PB2 Campaign Fine or Flopped?

Postby goeric54 » 11 December 2021, 13:55

So i was wondering about everyone's thought about the Campaign, and i want to know if people liked or hated the PB2 Campaign, i do like the Campaign, though, the story just was boring on the gameplay.
Do you think that the Plazma Burst 2 Campaign is Fine, or Flopped?
goeric54
Recruit

Re: Was the PB2 Campaign Fine or Flopped?

Postby PeacyQuack » 11 December 2021, 15:15

It was pretty good for me but well I don't know why that last level existed. (Android player and buttons one lol)
We should stop sushex56 together

PeacyQuack
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby mingo1 » 12 December 2021, 03:29

Sup goeric!

I've never thought bad of the campaign. I thought every level in the middle / end brought a challenge, and there's a lot of cool guns / gadgets earned throughout. Good time!
mingo1
Administrator

Postby astrodex pl » 12 December 2021, 11:50

most of the campaign is fine but level 42 sucks to be honest it made me rage alot
My purpose makes more sense when i look at insanity around that world
astrodex pl
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby yi en » 13 December 2021, 05:51

Besides that one specific level thats annoys everyone out, I think campaign is fine but outdated for the current updates.

Hey, check out kiri's remastered PB2 modded swf as we tried to make the campaign matches the current version of PB2 :D
yi en
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby CakeSpider » 20 January 2022, 00:48

Theres most of the levels are well done for shooting and movement elements (not in all), this is what the platform-shooter game needs in a 2d perspective.
But there a lot of issues.

For the first time we will ride on vehicle after 18 levels, this aint so bad, but on the 18th level we will get hound-walker and car at once. It's very strange to dump all the vehicles in the one little level.

Some kind of dialogues appear for the first time in the proxy's campaign. In fact in first 30 levels we will be without any words and without any plot progress. Even the marine's "clone" in 21 level dont not say anything (same with 2 cs prisoners in 6 level) And full dialogues will appear only in the last 4 levels.

Also leaves a lot of questions the acting of Civil Security faction, nobody is dumber than them I hope I dont need to explain why.

The usurpation invasion is clear, we are understand who is this.

For a game made "on the knee" by indie developer the campaign is okay. It's fine mostly
CakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCake
CakeSpider
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby broforce1 » 20 January 2022, 05:06

The maps are good to explore and get your time spent just killing enemies and platforming from one spot into another, but most of the levels become annoying when someone tries to complete the level so quickly, it's like some levels are made to prevent you from speedrunning it as well.

in my opinion, don't think that the PB2 campaign has flopped, most of the maps have alright puzzles, I haven't seen any map with poor design or map with no purposes, not even for PB: FTTP, maps start too easy and then become more challenging and engaging as well as they should be fair.

(except for level 42, what is behind that android I dunno lol)
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby bob228822 » 29 January 2022, 20:08

CakeSpider wrote:It's very strange to dump all the vehicles in the one little level.

Don't forget that campaign is made also for new players to teach the basics (That's why there's hints and difficulty is changeable to easy). So it makes sense: At first we read hint, enter Walker, use it, lose it and then find a car and we already know how we can enter it and test it. There's no need to make a whole race, this is just to inform the player, like second level did (walljumping).
Of course you can make a special level with (for example) walljumping mechanic only used and at its max (Like some maps, but I doubt that everyone passed these maps not because of the leaderboards), it will not interest all players.
Car's gun is way too weaker than marine's arsenal, It won't be fun to just ride around on flat flatform because of game limitations. You want to return this the worst segment from pb1? This already was made there. Nothing except skip can save this.

CakeSpider wrote:Some kind of dialogues appear for the first time in the proxy's campaign. In fact in first 30 levels we will be without any words and without any plot progress. Even the marine's "clone" in 21 level dont not say anything (same with 2 cs prisoners in 6 level) And full dialogues will appear only in the last 4 levels.

Yes, the plot with taciturn main character is a problem which came from pb1 (This game was rushed while making), Eric is a hostage of the game from past. It's bad that 3rd pb game probably will have same problem.

CakeSpider wrote:Civil Security faction, nobody is dumber than them I hope I dont need to explain why.

CakeSpider wrote:It's fine mostly

Agreed.

bob228822
Recruit

Postby maxim12 » 4 February 2022, 14:31

It's fine I guess, except that it gets repetitive very quickly, there is rarely any variety in levels, and/or story progression or dialog or specific mission objectives to accomplish except to kill all enemies an reach the end of the map, every level feels the same; Just shoot and kill a horde of either Civil Security or Usurpation Forces.
Thunder and Blood

maxim12
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby astrodex pl » 7 February 2022, 09:19

yi en wrote:Besides that one specific level thats annoys everyone out, I think campaign is fine but outdated for the current updates.

Hey, check out kiri's remastered PB2 modded swf as we tried to make the campaign matches the current version of PB2 :D

can i get link for this mod?
My purpose makes more sense when i look at insanity around that world
astrodex pl
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Boi1337 » 31 August 2022, 06:45

I dunno, shooting everyone gets kind of boring, and i think there was only 2 levels that had some puzzles (can you count lvl 42?) but thats about it (But damn, the level with invis CS was the most tense)
Boi1337
Recruit

Postby Lance Ryder Wilson » 1 September 2022, 12:49

To be honest, I didn't like the campaign, that's why in 2013, I played a level or 2, then ended it.

2015 I returned and played MP massively.

As for the campaign, was it fine? yea, but not as good as PB:FttP, in my opinion.

Lance Ryder Wilson
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Colonel Michu » 1 September 2022, 16:57

It fulfills its role (it gives entertainment and a challenge), but compared to the series of some map makers it looks poor then (and I'm not talking about the visuals).

One of the things I didn't like the most was the plot. There were at least some boards in FTTP from time to time explaining the course of events and what's next, while in the sequel plot's outline does not appear until later levels and there is not much of it anyway.

Also, not everyone will like the design, which is fine, but fairly simple (but not crude yet).I don't know if this ordinary, "vanilla" design was a intentional effect or a lack of creativity / time on the part of Eric. It hurt me that in terms of the credibility of locations, Plazma Burst 2 is closer to Doom than Shock System. Of course, I don't mean the lack of today's decorations, but the fact that you feel that it's a bunch of platforms and not some reliable location.

Some people are also irritated by the fact that there is not much fun with the convention or more interesting challanges. That the levels are just about shooting everyone around and going to the end point, while the levels themselves are short. It didn't bother me, but I understand it.

In my opinion, the original campaign is proper, but at least it could have been more varied and slightly improved in terms of plot and dialogues.

Colonel Michu
Recruit

Postby broforce1 » 1 September 2022, 22:10

Its fast paced campaign so ofc no much story will be involved, its just like doom classic games...

the level design is simple and not that bad, but if it really flopped then i would have hated playing the story levels, pb1 and pb2 levels are almost the same level so it doesnt matter.

addition to that, ur people saying that this game that just shooting in 2d is boring asf, well heres a thing... most of the shooting games are like this, but it seems that pb2 kinda had nice mechanics and physics which makes playing at levels more fun in general, also its a flash game so i dont think eric was planning to push the limits on adding more storytelling or better cutscenes or better stuff.. etc.. for pb3 will be serious in that too so... but also dont forget that it was originally a remake version of pb2 so dont give high expectations for it but u can give it some hype...
[[hmmmmhmAYYUHhhhwassauupp] [/broo] [/ur a [gayr]
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby Tossah » 1 September 2022, 22:40

enemies get too tanky in late levels in hard difficulty... all you do is stay in a camping spot to shoot and switch between bgn, railgun, rocket launcher, etc...

broforce1 wrote:Its fast paced campaign

the game itself is not fast paced... when you get shot your movement gets slowed noticeably and you get ragdolled to the point you can't move at all... you can't jump high unless you self-boost...(actual fast paced games let you jump high and move fast without doing gimmicks...)... you walk slow in general... other 2d games let you maneuver between left and right when you jump easily...

Tossah
Recruit

Postby broforce1 » 2 September 2022, 15:03

Tossah wrote: the game itself is not fast paced... when you get shot your movement gets slowed noticeably and you get ragdolled to the point you can't move at all... you can't jump high unless you self-boost...(actual fast paced games let you jump high and move fast without doing gimmicks...)... you walk slow in general... other 2d games let you maneuver between left and right when you jump easily...

but my point was that fast paced games doesnt have so much focus on story or cutscenes being included, at least that is what i think bout fast paced games tbh
[[hmmmmhmAYYUHhhhwassauupp] [/broo] [/ur a [gayr]
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby pb dman » 6 September 2022, 21:34

PB2 campaign is one of those games where it's more about the destination than the journey.
I still think it's fun, but story-wise it's not very interesting and makes no sense.
I think all of the levels are fun bring something new to gameplay.

Tossah wrote:the game itself is not fast paced... when you get shot your movement gets slowed noticeably and you get ragdolled to the point you can't move at all...

I disagree, the game is absolutely fast paced if you make it fast paced.
getting shot does not make you ragdoll lol. Only times that happens is with weapons that have a high knockback value such as rockets, BNGs, ect or maybe if you get shot by many enemies at a time.

Tossah wrote:you can't jump high unless you self-boost...(actual fast paced games let you jump high and move fast without doing gimmicks...)...

You can jump high without self-boosting, it's called sword slicing.

Tossah wrote:you walk slow in general... other 2d games let you maneuver between left and right when you jump easily...

You have sword slicing which makes you ridiculously fast.
PB2 is understandably physics based so that's why maneuvering between left and right might be harder than a game where movement is static and flat.

PB2 is still absolutely fast-paced if the only thing you think fast-paced about is the speed you are moving.
Last edited by Lance Ryder Wilson on 1 October 2022, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 2 posts. :P
Playing PB2 since 2015!

pb dman
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Chop » 7 September 2022, 10:52

I think it's pretty good at teaching the basics and decent for what was possible at that time, but story is lacking and the campain is outdated by today's standards.

Chop

Postby Girl_Power » 18 February 2023, 02:49

The PB2 campaign is definitely fine. The storyline and action is pretty good. Lmao the one person who said it flopped.
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby SaiMrCat » 9 March 2023, 12:03

I didn't like PB2 campaign. It has many same levels with no storyline. Too big and the campaign can't be compared to a full picture, due to many locations.
The level before 2 clone levels is just no sense! The water CAN'T stay on the top, and gun's CAN'T shoot in the water, because there is NO fire in the water
I think i shouldn't mention that explosive barrels are everywhere and Noir Lime arrives after a day after marine landed

SaiMrCat
Recruit

Next

Return to General Discussion