Create a multi-language channel in PB2 discord

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Yes
38%
No
63%

Total votes : 16

Postby Nyove » 26 August 2020, 08:32

Hey fellow members of the PB2 community,

Before I would like to begin my discussion, I hope we can have a mature and objective discussion about this topic. Constructive feedback is encouraged!

ISSUE:

The current PB2 discord server does not allow the usage of languages other than English in all channels.

WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE:

I see no purpose in imposing this rule.

The main argument behind this rule is that it is hard to moderate chats of other languages.
This argument is flawed in two main factors:

1. Given that same reasoning, should other countries like the US ban usage of other languages because law enforcers cannot moderate the language used?
- In the case where it is offensive, if the staff members could not comprehend the languages used, wouldn't the general public not able to comprehend it too?
- For those who understood, they can always report the incident to staff.
- Google translate it is also a thing, not for proper translation, but for cross-referencing in case of an incident report.
- Besides, there are many people in the PB2 community that are able to translate for the staff.

I understand that an incident happened with two members of the community talking behind a staff members back, but ultimately is it the fault of the usage of the languages OR the two person themselves?

In the case where we want to protect our staff members, I don't think complete banning of languages makes sense. Spreading of hate speech is bound to happened in a public community, whether if the medium used is English.

2. Moderation is not performed consistently even for messages in English.
- I see many accounts of people posting inappropriate messages as well as contents in PB2 community. If the reasoning behind usage of languages is inability to moderate, than I think the general staff members should also moderate the channels better.

SOLUTION:

Create a multi-language channel.

WHY IS THIS A SOLUTION / BENEFITS:

Now, let's discuss about the benefits of having a multi-language channel.

1. A more comfortable medium for other users.
Not everyone in the PB2 community's main language is English. In fact, a lot of the members have a different 1st language. For PB2 members that aren't able to speak English properly, are they just resorted to

2. Sharing of other cultures, as well as identity purposes.
- Don't you feel pride when speaking in your native languages? Some of the people naturally likes to communicate in their native language, this gives them a sense of identity. Don't you think it will be awesome if you knew someone who has a similar culture background than you that plays PB2 as well?
- More over, don't you think it's cool to see other members of the community speak in their own native language?
- This can even aid members of the community who want to improve in a certain languages, and potentially create deeper bonds between members.

Even Eric Gurt feels this way!!!

There are so many people in the PB2 community who speaks a different native language. Why restrict all of them to only speak English? Banning usage of other languages is akin to banning the usage of kitchen knifes.

I sincerely hope to see one day, miraclously a multi-language channel will be born in the PB2 community.
#makemultilangchannel

Hope this topic helps spread awareness, and take care everyone.

Best regards,
Nyove
Proud to be part of something meaningful.
Need any assistance? Join the PB2 discord server at https://discord.com/invite/Bhe9rNz or raise a support ticket at https://www.plazmaburst2.com/support

Contact me on discord for quickest reply possible.

Nyove
Falkok [250]

Re: Create a multi-language channel in PB2 discord

Postby Girl_Power » 26 August 2020, 10:48

Same thing with the Official Plazma Burst 2 Site Chat; the only language allowed on there is English.
Spoiler: Show More
2.8 • Please use only English when chatting in Plazma Burst 2 Site Chat. Other languages are permitted in private messages, and personal channels.

While I find diversity to be a good thing, this idea would pose a problem. Allow me to explain:

If everyone starts speaking different languages on a "multi-language channel" (and I assume you mean creating one channel for this), then it'll be harder for people to read and communicate with each other because there will be so many different languages in different sentences all in one chat.

I believe keeping English as the main language is best because the majority of the PB2 community speaks English. I also believe if everyone starts speaking in their native languages, it would divide the PB2 community greatly (e.g. Chinese people starts speaking Mandarin and Arabic people starts speaking Arabic: Chinese and Arabics would not hang out with each other and only with their own language group).

If people want to speak in their native language or do not understand English, they can create private channels instead of forcing this idea onto the main PB2 chat.

This is just my idea. I don't even use the PB2 Discord so...
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby paulstin » 26 August 2020, 12:05

As the acting leader of the biggest clan on Pb2, the Multi-cultural DARK CLAN, we have many members from all countrys, so here are my views.

If you have a Multi-language channel, i believe this would cause extra problems,

1, it would give pb2 staff more unnecessary work, in having to read, and then translate anything that was reported to be rule breaking, also, would everything inappropiate be picked up? as not everyone could understand it,

2, Users of the Discord would be writing in different languages that others would not understand and would not bother in translating everything thats typed, so would not bother to read it all.

3 English is a international language, its taught in most countries schools, so a English speaking channel helps its users learn English in a real life speaking way. (also players have said to me that they have learnt English through playing pb2)

4. English is the international Language, You need to be able to speak it to be a Airline pilot, a Doctor, a ships captain. and other Jobs. also almost all pb2 users can speak English in some form or another, so can talk to other players, so All players can talk to each other, and not just pick the easier option of talking to players from their own country, this would, i believe cause segregation, which could damage the game as players would only find a few players to talk to, so get bored..

Also, the members GLORIOUS DARK CLAN, being the biggest clan in pb2 history,and the oldest, formed in 2011, by the pb2 legend YOSHIMAN the GREAT.. with many members from all over the world, We are a multi cultural Family, and clan with a very active discord, And DARK CLANS discord server has had a multi language channel for a few years for the members to use, This channel is very rarely used, as all members prefer to use the English speaking channels, so this is the findings of the Glorious DARK CLAN, we do tests of almost everything,
Last edited by paulstin on 26 August 2020, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

paulstin
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Nyove » 26 August 2020, 12:22

Hey Girl Power and Paulstin,

Let me address Girl Power's points first.

Girl Power wrote:If everyone starts speaking different languages on a "multi-language channel" (and I assume you mean creating one channel for this), then it'll be harder for people to read and communicate with each other because there will be so many different languages in different sentences all in one chat.

In the general channel of the PB2 discord, multiple conversations happens concurrently at times, with certain of the members being accidentally ghosted or flooded away at times. In this case of a multi-language channel, members can just focus on the language that they are familiar with.

Girl Power wrote:I believe keeping English as the main language is best because the majority of the PB2 community speaks English.

English will still be the main language. The rest of the channels will still make use of English. We will just have an extra channel that allows other languages to be spoken in.

Furthermore, the assumption made that majority of the PB2 community speaks English is not exactly accurate. The reason why it seems like majority of the PB2 community speaks English is because
- In game, other forms of keyboard is not supported.
- The game's main language is English, so naturally they are inclined to speak English.
- Majority of the PB2 community still speaks English, but it may not be their native language / the language they are most comfortable.

Girl Power wrote:I also believe if everyone starts speaking in their native languages, it would divide the PB2 community greatly (e.g. Chinese people starts speaking Mandarin and Arabic people starts speaking Arabic: Chinese and Arabics would not hang out with each other and only with their own language group).

As stated, the rest of the channels are still in English. People from different backgrounds can still communicate in these channels and form friendship. This channel is specifically to allow players to speak a language of their own choice, allowing them to express their identity.

Girl Power wrote:If people want to speak in their native language or do not understand English, they can create private channels instead of forcing this idea onto the main PB2 chat.

Going by this logic, if people in the PB2 community want to talk to each other, all of them should create private channels and communicate with each other.
Creating this channel allows others to see other languages being used. That's one of my point - sharing of culture.

Now let me address the points of Paulstin.

Paulstin wrote:1, it would give pb2 staff more unnecessary work, in having to read, and then translate anything that was reported to be rule breaking, also, would everything inappropiate be picked up? as not everyone could understand it,

Can't disagree with the point of PB2 staff having more work to do. However,
- As mentioned, the main chat is not constantly moderated as well.
- Following your last point, this channel will not be super active - which means there is not much to moderate.

Paulstin wrote:2, Users of the Discord would be writing in different languages that others would not understand and would not bother in translating everything thats typed, so would not bother to read it all.

They have the option to choose to use other channels which are mainly in English.

Paulstin wrote:3 English is a international language, its taught in most countries schools, so a English speaking channel helps its users learn English in a real life speaking way. (also players have said to me that they have learnt English through playing pb2)

I agree. But as mentioned to Girl Power, I didn't state English should not be used / not the main language. The rest of the channels are still in English, while we have an extra channel that allows usage of other languages.

Paulstin wrote:4. English is the international Language, You need to be able to speak it to be a Airline pilot, a Doctor, a ships captain. and other Jobs. also almost all pb2 users can speak English in some form or another, so can talk to other players, so All players can talk to each other, and not just pick the easier option of talking to players from their own country, this would, i believe cause segregation, which could damage the game as players would only find a few players to talk to, so get bored..

Answered above.

Paulstin wrote:This channel is very rarely used, as all members prefer to use the English speaking channels, so this is the findings of the Glorious DARK CLAN, we do tests of almost everything,

I believe the member count in the PB2 community server is far greater than the mentioned clan server. In the case where the channel is never used, there is always the option to remove it.

Thank you both for taking your time to reply to my post.

Best regards,
Nyove
Proud to be part of something meaningful.
Need any assistance? Join the PB2 discord server at https://discord.com/invite/Bhe9rNz or raise a support ticket at https://www.plazmaburst2.com/support

Contact me on discord for quickest reply possible.

Nyove
Falkok [250]

Postby Nakimato » 27 August 2020, 22:19

I dont want any mexicans to speak mexican in MY server

Nakimato
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Girl_Power » 28 August 2020, 01:59

Nakimato wrote:I dont want any mexicans to speak mexican in MY server

Speaking of Mexicans, not all of them are bad. I do see a lot of matches with titles such as "SOLO ESPANGNOLES" which is annoying sometimes and it gets even worse when they kick you out just because you don't speak Spanish. The Mexicans and English community of PB2 is so divided sometimes it seems like I play on a whole different server when I join a Spanish match.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby paulstin » 28 August 2020, 10:54

Girl_Power wrote:

Speaking of Mexicans, not all of them are bad. I do see a lot of matches with titles such as "SOLO ESPANGNOLES" which is annoying sometimes and it gets even worse when they kick you out just because you don't speak Spanish. The Mexicans and English community of PB2 is so divided sometimes it seems like I play on a whole different server when I join a Spanish match.

There are a proportion of players that can only speak spanish, Glorious DARK CLAN has helped these players by forming the army of the Victorious DARK CLAN HISPANIA so our spanish speaking comrades can enjoy playing Pb2 more, This is the biggest army on Pb2 and they are the shock troops of DARK CLAN. and helps to stop the division as
Girl Power mentions by uniting all players from around the world in one family DARK CLAN.

paulstin
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Kiriakos Gr96 » 28 August 2020, 13:39

paulstin wrote:
Girl_Power wrote:

There are a proportion of players that can only speak spanish, Glorious DARK CLAN has helped these players by forming the army of the Victorious DARK CLAN HISPANIA so our spanish speaking comrades can enjoy playing Pb2 more, This is the biggest army on Pb2 and they are the shock troops of DARK CLAN. and helps to stop the division as
Girl Power mentions by uniting all players from around the world in one family DARK CLAN.

@paulstin
Please avoid any direct or indirect ways of advertising your clan

On topic:The reason why only english is allowed to be spoken is because most if not almost all know and understand english and also for moderation reasons,if we had multi-language channels the staff team would need to know more languages than english so we could be able to moderate which is hard to be done.
Kiriakos Gr96
Administrator

Postby broforce1 » 28 August 2020, 20:21

can you just ban paulstin from advertising every single freaking time?

besides of the topic: i dont think so, the english language is the only preferred language, and btw, i dont really find a strong reason, and why PB2 discord especially, most of them will be filled with spannish people and russians, sorry about that but it's kinda true tho, the server will be full of non-english language which is annoying and may be disturbing sometimes, we need multiple rooms for a lot of the languages as well and other people from different countries, properly you can just make that in other servers.
[[hmmmmhmAYYUHhhhwassauupp] [/broo] [/ur a [gayr]
broforce1
Proxy [700]

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 29 August 2020, 06:58

Multi-Language channel? I don't think it is managable since google translator could get some messages out of context in the different languages. Also, manually translating all of that sounds like a slog for any moderator, unless there is a method to automatically and easily translate all different languaje messages of a discord channel to english, thing which i doubt it exists anyway.

Channels for single specific languages? As long as there can be at least 1 moderator for that specific language that of course fully understands it I don't see why not. Since those channels are not going to have that much activity (and this is not coming from me but to also the people that claim that english is the most used language) it wont require more than 1 semi-active mod.

Also, anyone that claims this would result in ''russians and mexicans spamming non-english messages on all channels!1!!1one1!'' clearly hasn't even readed the OP title properly due to sleep deprivation.

As for the spanish servers ingame, as a tacoboy myself I can confirm they are cesspools. Every single interaction in those servers ends with me getting repeatedly insulted by some kid for the sole reason of existing, all of that within the first 2 minutes.

broforce1 wrote:can you just ban paulstin from advertising every single freaking time?

I mean he already got told not to this thread and he won't stop doing so until he gets banned like he did just a couple months ago.

It's not ''YOUR'' server.

Nyove wrote:2. Moderation is not performed consistently even for messages in English.
- I see many accounts of people posting inappropriate messages as well as contents in PB2 community.

True.
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby nightmar » 29 August 2020, 12:54

Let me get this straight. You know staff will have a hard time checking other languages so you expect players who are familiar with said languages to report any rule breaking? Yeah there is absolutely no way that will be done, I bet on that. Unless pb2 gets a translation system your idea can not be implemented.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby verecund gazelle » 29 August 2020, 21:22

Kiriakos Gr96 wrote:@paulstin
Please avoid any direct or indirect ways of advertising your clan

lmao

lmao
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA wrote:Channels for single specific languages? As long as there can be at least 1 moderator for that specific language that of course fully understands it I don't see why not. Since those channels are not going to have that much activity (and this is not coming from me but to also the people that claim that english is the most used language) it wont require more than 1 semi-active mod.

That is logical. If the staff team could assemble a few good men to moderate the channels that they are fluent in, then perhaps it would be feasible from a work-hour perspective, as the work is streamlined. Of course, there is the chance of mod corruption and over-leniency, which could pose a problem.

Essentially, I think a multi-culti channel in discord should be held off on, at least until more manpower is available for moderation of the channel.
This is what I get for rating all my maps 1 star

verecund gazelle
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby IforgotmypasswordHaHAA » 30 August 2020, 05:38

Yep I forgot to say that said moderators must be trust-worthy in order for it to work, thing which is not easy to find.
IforgotmypasswordHaHAA

Postby Master Chief 0 » 30 August 2020, 09:06

Americans wont give a shit for this plus paulstin is retard, just kidding

Why.
so what then, i think I will quit and leave this community but before I will complete my objective for sure then I will announce my retirement.
Master Chief 0

Postby mrblake213 » 30 August 2020, 15:03

The purpose of the discord is to be a place where Plazma Burst players can talk to one another in a chilled out, friendly environment. You cannot communicate or interact with the community if you aren't understanding with each other.

However, from what I've seen, the rule isn't that strictly enforced. If you are just going to show what a word meant in your language or just have short conversation with someone, then it would be fine. But having a long conversation which would take up channel space wouldn't be allowed as you are depriving of other people of actually joining in that conversation.

Another reason would be that we aim to keep it appropriate enough for our younger members, but not at the cost of limiting conversation. We (the staff) wouldn't be able to know what's appropriate or not when it is in a language we will not understand.

If you have any more problems, questions, or reports about inappropriate or rude behavior on-site or in the Discord. Feel free to report it directly to a staff or use the report feature in the site.
Thank you.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Girl_Power » 30 August 2020, 17:17

mrblake213 wrote:The purpose of the discord is to be a place where Plazma Burst players can talk to one another in a chilled out, friendly environment. You cannot communicate or interact with the community if you aren't understanding with each other.

However, from what I've seen, the rule isn't that strictly enforced. If you are just going to show what a word meant in your language or just have short conversation with someone, then it would be fine. But having a long conversation which would take up channel space wouldn't be allowed as you are depriving of other people of actually joining in that conversation.

Another reason would be that we aim to keep it appropriate enough for our younger members, but not at the cost of limiting conversation. We (the staff) wouldn't be able to know what's appropriate or not when it is in a language we will not understand.

If you have any more problems, questions, or reports about inappropriate or rude behavior on-site or in the Discord. Feel free to report it directly to a staff or use the report feature in the site.
Thank you.

Very well said. Sounded like a true professional mod (not sarcasm). This statement basically covered everything I had to say but in a much better fashion lol.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby CakeSpider » 30 August 2020, 19:02

what about to make several different channels for (1st one for Chinese, 2st one for Russia, etc.) and main channel for everyone but only english allowed
CakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCakeCake
CakeSpider
Cyber Grub [25]

Return to General Discussion