'Simple' or 'complicated' maps?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

What maps do you like the most?

Simple maps
15%
Complicated maps
35%
Both equally
50%

Total votes : 20

'Simple' or 'complicated' maps?

Postby darkstar 1 » 29 November 2017, 13:17

So I've recently had a conversation with two people talking about nostalgic older pb2 maps, which were simpler back then.
This made me wonder what the average player likes the most, simple combat/rp maps or more complicated ones with lots of options?
And is there any reason you like one more than the other?

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Re: 'Simple' or 'complicated' maps?

Postby Ty Q » 29 November 2017, 18:53

Simple maps with a simple design.

Especially with ledges that allow people to boost off of them.

Ty Q
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby lostmydollar » 29 November 2017, 22:37

i'd say both have a right to exist. but complicated maps should be appreciated more than simple ones
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ChaoSquid » 30 November 2017, 00:29

It depends on what you mean by "Simple" and "Complicated". If the abstract shapes and cover of the singleplayer maps mean complicated, then definitely yes on complicated. If it means simple, and complicated just means with triggers, or maps with a lot of overlapping like, grass boxes, to create smooth looking hills, then I'd like both.
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby mrblake213 » 30 November 2017, 12:53

best maps are complicated maps
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Ayano » 30 November 2017, 14:30

I am not sure what a "complicated" map actually is.
Perhaps giving an example?

But then I would lean onto liking simple maps.
Since its just simple. Nothing complicated or anything.
Ayano
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby darkstar 1 » 30 November 2017, 18:10

@Ayano @ChaoSquid Sorry for not specifying, with simple I mean most approved maps and maps with few or simple trigger actions (like opening doors, displaying text,...) and, on average, pretty non-'detailed' backgrounds. [combat maps, house maps, base maps, (most) saws,...]
Complicated is using multiple triggers and trigger actions and with or without 'detailed' backgrounds. (With gameplay different than most other pb2 maps.) [as examples I could give things max teabag-snake, mrnat444-bloodrush, ...]

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby Hikarikaze » 1 December 2017, 00:50

People generally like simple things, as long as it's not too simple. Basic design maps (simple architecture, one weapon archetypes, etc) are easy to pick up on and have a low skill entry requirement which appeals to a lot of people, players and mapmakers alike. Complicated maps get attention because they stand out from the more simple maps, but too complicated maps aren't generally well received because they're, well, too complicated. This would be purely subjective though as are the definitions of a simple and complicated map

Of course, everyone has their own preferences so they can deviate more from the general preference for simplicity if they want. In my case, I appreciate both simple and complicated maps equally since mapmakers have their own niche and comfort zone and favoring certain map types just overshadows one's talents in a specific map type apart from the favored ones
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ChaoSquid » 1 December 2017, 03:30

Hikarikaze wrote:Of course, everyone has their own preferences so they can deviate more from the general preference for simplicity if they want. In my case, I appreciate both simple and complicated maps equally since mapmakers have their own niche and comfort zone and favoring certain map types just overshadows one's talents in a specific map type apart from the favored ones

Amen, brother.

And, something to make this a bit less of a freepost, is I prefer simple maps, although with maybe more complex geometry, or abstract shapes and such. Which, I guess could still just be basically described as simple.
Basically, I lean towards simple, although both are good.
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Return to General Discussion